The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peavy AddVerb 3 Battery??
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear
Peavy AddVerb 3 Battery??

Have to do factory reset every time I power up my AddVerb 3, otherwise it's permanently locked in 'OUTPUTS MUTED' mode and the characters on the LCD are all wonky.
I suspect the battery needs to be replaced, this is a common problem with the AddVerbs.

Does any one know where I can get the battery?
The only place I can find on is one guy on Ebay but he's in Italy and shipping cost more than the battery.

I haven't cracked open my AddVerb yet as I'm not sure what to look for.
I know its a barrel type battery that's soldered to the board.
But where on the board should I look?

Any one have any experience with this?
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Most of the time you can buy them locally at a drug store or hardware store. They typically use the large 3.5V disk shaped batteries which look like hearing aid batteries except they are about an inch across. Most computers use them too. The question is whether they designed the board with a battery holder that allows you to simply pop a new one in there, or whether its the older design where the batteries actually solder to the board.

In either case you'll need to pop the top and get the battery number. You can simply google it to see if they are sold locally. Many cameras and remote control, Even my car key uses one to unlock my car and set the alarm. Home depot, Walgreens, Walmart all have racks full of them and you simple need to cross reference the number. If you google up a Panasonic you should be able to find the corresponding Eveready, Sony, or generic version of the same battery. I bought mine on line because I wasn't in a rush and I was able to buy enough to handle most of my gear. I was having a problem where the date and time wasn't being saved on my computers so I knew that was a battery problem so I did all 3 of my desktops. After that my rack units started loosing their presets so I bout the ones that fit them and redid them too. They'll likely last another 10 years or so. After that I wont care.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

First thing you want to do is remove the top cover and confirm it's a 'barrel' type battery as you think. Take a clear picture and post it if in doubt. It will look like this one on eBay which is listed for an Addverb 2 (it may have a different color wrap on it, possibly blue or yellow)
Peavey - DPM-V3 , ADDVERB II , PC1600X - New Battery | eBay (if yours looks like this, it could be used as a replacement)

I couldn't find anything on a battery for the Addverb 3 nor is it mentioned in the manual. It's possible, unless you can confirm otherwise, Peavey may have started using a non-battery type of memory storage in that unit, which would mean there's something else going on with your patch storage

This type of 3.6 volt rechargeable NiCd batteries are sometimes prone to leaking and damaging circuit boards as show in thes pic linked below for an Addverb 2, so look around the battery for signs of corrosion. I had this happen in an old Korg PolySix synth. Was not pretty.
Leaky Battery Addverb 2

These batteries are getting more difficult to find. Below is one I came up with. May not have the exact solder pins/legs as the one you are replacing. How are your soldering skills?
3.6v rechargeable CMOS battery 60mAh (NiCd/NiMH) for vintage motherboards & PLC | eBay
Varta 3/V80H 3 Pin, 55608-303-059, 3.6 Volt 80mAh 3 Pin NIMH Battery
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear
Yep Its a barrel type and its leaked on the board.
The acid has eaten thru couple traces on the bottom of the board, I'll have to figure a way to fix that.
Attached Thumbnails
Peavy AddVerb 3 Battery??-peavy-battery_front.jpg   Peavy AddVerb 3 Battery??-peavy-addverb-bottom-traces.jpg  
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidblue View Post
Yep Its a barrel type and its leaked on the board.
The acid has eaten thru couple traces on the bottom of the board, I'll have to figure a way to fix that.
Looks fixable even if it takes a couple of wires soldered point to point to bridge any copper damage.

Did you pick your forum name before seeing the battery and corrosion?
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Looks fixable even if it takes a couple of wires soldered point to point to bridge any copper damage.

Did you pick your forum name before seeing the battery and corrosion?
LOL, I had that name for like 15 years.
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear
Just in case any one else needs a replacement, this one looks exactly like the one I have to replace, part number matches as well:

VARTA V60R replacement battery

Parts Express seem to have the same one, pins look slightly different though.

3/V60R Type Computer Memory Battery NiMH

I ordered the one from Battery Guy, I'll report back when I get it, by next week maybe.
Old 26th April 2019
Here for the gear
***This is turning into a repair thread***

New battery fits fine.

The Nice people at Peavy sent me a schematic so I could check the traces.
Particularly the one between R506 and + side of the battery, the trace seems to been completely eaten away.

Planning on finishing this weekend, right now with just the new battery in I still have same problem.
Fixing/re-tinning traces I hope will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Peavy AddVerb 3 Battery??-new-battery.jpg   Peavy AddVerb 3 Battery??-cleaned-traces.jpg   Peavy AddVerb 3 Battery??-r506-no-trace..jpg  
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Several Peavey products in that time period used the same battery, e.g. Profex II, and had the leakage and trace problems. Ken Fox (Fox Vintage Amps) has a "batteryless" chip mod for the Profex II that eliminates the battery. Don't know if the mod applies to the Adverb.

http://foxvintageamps.com/
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear
Hooray it works!
Fixing the traces was the trick, specially the trace for R506 to +.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidblue View Post
Hooray it works!
Fixing the traces was the trick, specially the trace for R506 to +.
Good to hear . If you used an NiMH replacement for the NiCd you'll likely never have to worry about leakage again.
Old 29th April 2019
Here for the gear
Ahh yes we have reverb

FuzzDrone: 4 droning square waves using the TajMahal preset on my AddVerb 3.
Kinda an airy sounding reverb, only post production I did was added a little compression in Audacity.

https://soundcloud.com/acidbluefx/tajmahal-drones

Last edited by acidblue; 29th April 2019 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: type errors

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search