The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How are you connecting your multiple drum's machine outputs to your interface? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

How are you connecting your multiple drum's machine outputs to your interface?

After procrasting figuring out how to and connecting my gear after setting up my new setup I'm thinking I'll ask the Pro's.. Or well the a matures, semi pro and pro people here at Gearslutz.

How do you connect your drum machines to your interface and computer?

I myself have 16 inputs right now (and another 2 with an optional 8 if I buy a second AD converter, so a total of 26 if I got the calculations right) and I would wish I could have my three drum machines connected at the same time with their separate outputs but I know that there's no easy way of doing that so my plan now is to have a setup that let's me patch on kicks on a dedicated kick channel and the snare on a dedicated snare channel and so on...

But how are you doing it? Just want to get some more ideas flowing because the patching is not ideal for me (since I'm lazy).
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Analog mixer.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
Analog mixer.
I suspect that this is most people's solution. What particular mixer are you using?

How are you recording the separate sounds with it? Muting? Do the mixer output enough separate outputs through auxes / busses etc.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

well how many separate outputs do you have between 3 drum machines?!

you could possibly just hook up all of them at the same time straight to your interface without needing a mixer or patchbay...

if you have more outputs, maybe consider "grouping" -> do you Really REALLY NEED (!!) all of the instruments on their separate tracks?
for example, closed/open hi-hats usually end up in the same subgroup/track for me anyways and get the same processing, so I usually don´t bother to even separate them out.

same goes for toms, usually drum machines have 3 separate ones but at least I rarely see the need to separate those out beyond a stereo bus.

in my case, I use a Mackie mixer and just run most of the sounds through the main outs and separate some out through the ALT3/4 "MUTE bus", e.g. snares,claps and toms go through ALT3/4 while most of the hihats and cymbals stay on the "main" outputs together with the rest of the drummachine - with the exception of the kick which gets recorded through its own input on my interface at all times.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratriplel View Post
I suspect that this is most people's solution. What particular mixer are you using?

How are you recording the separate sounds with it? Muting? Do the mixer output enough separate outputs through auxes / busses etc.
I use a Soundcraft Delta. Direct outs on each channel, 6 auxiliaries which I use for hardware effects, and 4 group outputs.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I don't need every output on a separate channel but I've realized since another thread I made a while ago that's it's not possible to merge the kick, snare, hats, etc from all drum machines to one channel for each element without degrading the sound on an clearly audible level, which is sad because that was my last plan.

I basically need 6 channels for my drum machines; Kick, Snare, Hihats, Toms (preferable 2 channels but 1 will do), Cymbals, Percussion.

By the way...
My drum machines are Drumtraks, TR-606 and Analog Rytm (MKII).

Reason I can't fit my drum machines in my current setup is because I also have other instruments and microphones that needs to be connected and it kind of sucks to have to re-patch things as I go though I could live with re-patching one or two elements here and there but preferably not a whole drum machine because I'll loose my buzz... Hehe.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

About your mixer when you say direct outs I assume that the signal goes in and out (maybe after going through internal effects) but this isn't "summing" any thing and that would mean you still have (in my case) too many cables for my interface and setup. Or have i misunderstood something?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Most of my drum machines have stereo outs. I rarely use more then two at once because syncing them midi becomes an issue once you get beyond one being master and the others a slave.

I use multi channel interfaces so I'm not going to run out of channels with 24 available. I can record everything to separate tracks at the same time.
If I was stuck using a 2 or 4 channel mixer I'd need to use a mixer. Fortunately my first pro interface was an 8 channel card so I haven't had to suffer using a stereo card since I was using a windows sound blaster card back in the 90's.

I do have a 6 channel Tascam which can be problematic. Its only got two line/instrument inputs. The rest are all mic level. Luckily an inexpensive 2 channel DI box fixes that problem. Pyle makes one for $15 and it works fine for attenuating the drum machine line level output down to mic level. I have some others around too which would allow me to convert all the channels to line level so I could run 2 stereo drum machines and a stereo guitar at the same time using that interface which is all I would normally use tracking solo.

If I was recording a electronic drum set, some have outputs for each drum pad and cymbal. I'd need to use my 24 channel setup for recording that if I wanted to capture them to separate tracks, just like I would recording my acoustic set with mics.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
About your mixer when you say direct outs I assume that the signal goes in and out (maybe after going through internal effects) but this isn't "summing" any thing and that would mean you still have (in my case) too many cables for my interface and setup. Or have i misunderstood something?
You are dealing with physical limitations if you want all you gear up multi-channelled.

You have 3 options:

1. Buy enough converters for everything

2. Get a mixer with enough channels to connect all your source channels, use direct outs to multitrack as many as your converters will allow, and submix into groups what would go beyond your input capacity.

3. Patch what you need when necessary

Personally, I am with you in having everything hot and wired, which I do, but I still run many things through a patchbay and it is useful. I also use a second Soundcraft as a stereo submixer, also with direct outs into a patchbay, on certain sources into a pair of channels on the main board.

Additinally, consider a Midas F32.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post

Additinally, consider a Midas F32.
That's what I did. Love it!
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

I’ve been doing a new work flow with my tr8 lately where I’ll program the individual parts (kick, snare, etc...) within my daw’s sequencer as separate tracks and just monitor the stereo outs from the tr8 just like a synth module.

Once I’ve got the song arranged then I’ll record each track (kick, snare, etc...) as a separate pass in the daw as audio.

Gives me ultimate flexibility.
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Addict

I use a patchbay for routing all my gear as opposed to trying to use a mixer as an infrastructure solution. I do find a mixer to be quite useful for monitoring etc but when it comes to routing a patchbay is ideal.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
I’ve been doing a new work flow with my tr8 lately where I’ll program the individual parts (kick, snare, etc...) within my daw’s sequencer as separate tracks and just monitor the stereo outs from the tr8 just like a synth module.

Once I’ve got the song arranged then I’ll record each track (kick, snare, etc...) as a separate pass in the daw as audio.

Gives me ultimate flexibility.
That's exactly what I used to do but I feel my workflow could become better and demand less work from me if there was a simple solution to get 6 or 7 separate outs (kick, snare, toms (left), toms (right), Cymbals, hihats and percussion. Or some variation of these with maybe the toms going out through a stereo out which could also feature other instruments if necessary), but since I learned that there's no good and not too expensive solution to merge all my drum machines kicks (and other elements) into one channel (for each element) I've been feeling kind of lost.

My problem with getting a mixar is that I simply don't know where I would have the place for it (could be solved) and it seems you need to spend quite a lot of money to get something good. I actually solved a $400 mixer just a year ago or so, since hadn't used it since i had my old band's reharshall / studio. but if a mixer really seems to be the best solution I'll just have to go with it but I'm more into working out how to better wire my patchbay to need the least amount of patching, looking into cheaper gear that could solve my problems (as example noticed Behringer have something that merges several channels into one and I could always buy one of these and try it out since they're only $40 each but I would need about 6-7 of them in the end but could at least buy two for kick and snare and maybe figure out if I might only need another one for hihats and so on) etc but we'll see.

I feel that this is probably one of these things I'll make a lot of mistakes before I come to my senses and do what most of people recommend and getting satisfied.
But it's so annoying that there's not a solution where you have 8 outputs and something like 24 or even 48 inputs and just could select which one of these that gets recorded without patching but just selecting that input 13 goes to output 1 and input 2 goes to output 2, output 20 goes to output 3... And so one I guess kind of like a digital patchbay but still just an unaltered analog signal.
Or just an audio interface with lots and lots of TRS-inputs but that only records of these 2 channels at a time and you set it up through software and preferably high quality components and a pricetag around or below $1000.

Going back to the topic. I guess I feel a mixer would be easier to motivate for myself would be if I felt I could get one that had few functions that I actually need and I easily understand. I'm not a manual reading person (as in I've read several manuals several times but mostly just get more confused. Though they're really helpful when I'm trying to do something and have the physical unit in front of me and really know that it's possible and just need to find out how but when then I can have a vara time figuring it out.) which means that I would probably not be able to find out which mixer that would suit my needs before I've bought it and tried it for some time, unless I have someone that already has one and shows me how to use it, but most friends don't use mixers, the one that actually did have one and used it past away a couple of years ago. This is what music instruments stores should be for. Training you to use something that you're buying from them, instead they are just interested in selling you the most profitable gear for them.

Sorry, long and confused post..
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
But it's so annoying that there's not a solution where you have 8 outputs and something like 24 or even 48 inputs and just could select which one of these that gets recorded without patching but just selecting that input 13 goes to output 1 and input 2 goes to output 2, output 20 goes to output 3... And so one I guess kind of like a digital patchbay but still just an unaltered analog signal.
Or just an audio interface with lots and lots of TRS-inputs but that only records of these 2 channels at a time and you set it up through software and preferably high quality components and a pricetag around or below $1000.
Both those scenarios exist, but they cost more than you seem prepared to pay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search