The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help for monitor upgrade (~ 1000$) Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Need help for monitor upgrade (~ 1000$)

Hi, first of all sorry for my English. I have the mackies mr5 mk2 for 7 years now and I feel that it’s time to upgrade.
The room (6x3 meters) is not treated (and can’t be treated for now), the listening position is not optimal (monitors are placed on a desk 10 cm from the front wall), but at low levels (65-70 db) and with room correction software the frequency response is ok (I did some measurements with REW). I lack the bass extension and overall details with my current monitors.
I have the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro (good detail but not flat at all) and they help me a lot when it comes to work on some individual instruments of the mix but I can’t properly balance the elements of my mix with them.
I can’t listen to the monitors before buying them so I need your help. I have read all the threads here about the monitors that I’m considering to buy but there are some nuances.
1. Focal alpha 65: I think they are the most optimal in my situation. They cost about 780 $ a pair, where I live. What bothers me: The distortion problem mentioned in this forum and their size.
2. Focal cms 65: They cost 150 $ more than the alphas (930 $ for a pair). Do they worth the extra 150$ over the alphas?
3. APS klasik: They cost 160 $ more than the cms (1090 $). The bad: the back port, and a little out of my budget now. Too expensive for a hobby?
I know that the klasiks are the best of the 3 and that the cms are superior to alphas but I need some advices to make a rational purchase.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search