The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
KRK Rokit G4 reviews?
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

KRK Rokit G4 reviews?

Hey guys!

Anyone have some first hand experience with the new KRK Rokit G4 series? Specifically looking into the 7 and 8s.

They are really new and very few videos or reviews are seemingly out there. Looking to see if anyone has had some hands on experience and can give some feedback. Mainly for music production and mixing. Thanks!
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Nut

EDIT: Changed my opinion after spending more time with them. Definitely recommended. Best budget small monitor around now.

Get something else.

The KRK Rokit 5 fourth generation with the Kevlar drivers sounds good. It’s not awful like their previous Rokits but it is colored like the more expensive KRKs with punchy warm bass, a little too thick low mids, and slightly softened and slightly splatty treble but nothing too offensive. Think a worse V6. The Rokit 7 should be similar but the cabs might be too underbuilt to be a real value engineered V6.

The KRK Rokit 8 is flabby like the VXT 8 and V8. Kicks sound behind the beat.

Even if you like the KRK sound, KRK is owned by Gibson, and has had horrific reliability with the tweeters and plate amps. I’ve had Rokit plate amps give out in tracking, have seen many VXT tweeters blow out, and have heard the recent V series with the Kevlar tweeters hiss more than cheap JBLs.
Old 15th April 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Get something else.
Yeah, but, yellow, man. Come on.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e View Post
Get the red Monkey Banana monitors then. Mmmmm red like Fischer-Price firetruck instead of yellow like Tonka dumptruck.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

But despite these criticisms, the smaller KRK Rokit fourth generation monitors with the Kevlar drivers are impossible to beat right now for the combination of detail and cohesiveness in the price range. The coloration can be dealt with by listening to reference material and pretty much everything is colored in the cheap bastard price range. So if you like how it sounds, then get it. I just hope Gibson have stepped up their reliability and quality control after their bankruptcy.
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear
I purchased the Rokit 7 G4s from Sweetwater and absolutely loved them. Monitor choice is so personal/subjective, there is no substitute for hearing them in person, and if possible trying them out at home. I actually picked the new Rokits 7 over the Adam A7x, after listening to reference tracks for hours. Not trying to start a debate with any Adam fans, but to each his own. I liked the Rokit 7s so much, that now I have upgraded to the the KRK V6 s4, and I am in absolute heaven. It is fine to ask opinions here to possibly help narrow down the choices, but please, please try to find a way to demo the monitors to find what works for you. Good luck
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxguru View Post
I purchased the Rokit 7 G4s from Sweetwater and absolutely loved them. Monitor choice is so personal/subjective, there is no substitute for hearing them in person, and if possible trying them out at home. I actually picked the new Rokits 7 over the Adam A7x, after listening to reference tracks for hours. Not trying to start a debate with any Adam fans, but to each his own. I liked the Rokit 7s so much, that now I have upgraded to the the KRK V6 s4, and I am in absolute heaven. It is fine to ask opinions here to possibly help narrow down the choices, but please, please try to find a way to demo the monitors to find what works for you. Good luck
A7X sounds great but is tough to mix on ime.

How is Rokit 7G4 vs V6S4? Very curious as I dug the older pre Rockit KRKs, VXT 6, thought the Rokit 5 G4 ruled its size and price range with unbothersome hiss, and loved the V6S4 but didn't buy it due to the loud hiss. Should I just deal with the hiss due to much better sound? Is Rokit 7G4 flabbier and looser and V6S4 has fixed hiss now? I was interested in Rokit 7 as a cheaper, high headroom tracking monitor. The price difference is not so great with combo deals and Thomman so is V6S4 the way to go anyway for KRK and get some more utility? Or would I do best to just get the 8" for tracking?
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

I ended up getting a pair of Rokit G4 8s for free in a very roundabout way.... regardless I do like them overall. They remind me of my V6s back in the mid 2000s which I loved. These aren’t quite as “tight” sounding as those, but close, and these are a bigger speaker as well.

My mixes overall translated well playing back on the new monitors (old set was a pair of JBL 305s). That being said I didn’t hear any sort of new details or subtle things listening back music I was familiar with.

My room is semi treated, and I haven’t played around with the eq at all. Still waiting on the app to come out and mess with that. Not expecting much from it, but curious to see what it does.
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
A7X sounds great but is tough to mix on ime.

How is Rokit 7G4 vs V6S4? Very curious as I dug the older pre Rockit KRKs, VXT 6, thought the Rokit 5 G4 ruled its size and price range with unbothersome hiss, and loved the V6S4 but didn't buy it due to the loud hiss. Should I just deal with the hiss due to much better sound? Is Rokit 7G4 flabbier and looser and V6S4 has fixed hiss now? I was interested in Rokit 7 as a cheaper, high headroom tracking monitor. The price difference is not so great with combo deals and Thomman so is V6S4 the way to go anyway for KRK and get some more utility? Or would I do best to just get the 8" for tracking?
Too be honest, when I first got the V6S4, I feared that I preferred the Rokit 7 "out the box" more, and that I had made a mistake. I listened to some of the same songs over and over and finally realized that everything was SO "clear" ....and that was a bit off putting because I was hearing some tracks differently for the first time, lol. I love the midrange on both monitors, but the V6 are definitely clearer. At first I "thought" I had lost a little low end moving to the V6 (even though the cone is visibly moving more air), but I realized that the bass was "tighter" and the clearer presence of the highs and midrange were taking my "focus" away from the bass. I have the V6 set at +4 as recommended in manual, and have almost no hiss unless you place your ear to the speaker. Reading about the "hiss" issue is what deterred me from choosing V6 in first place!! I should have demoed the V6 for myself, because hiss turns out to be a non-issue for me. So in summary...V6 clearer, tighter bass, better build quality, hiss non-issue. But don't misunderstand me, I think the Rokit 7 is a great monitor in its price range. I was all set to track with them. I did not demo any 8s, I only demoed 7s in search of clearer midranges, and smaller desk footprint.
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 View Post
I ended up getting a pair of Rokit G4 8s for free in a very roundabout way.... regardless I do like them overall. They remind me of my V6s back in the mid 2000s which I loved. These aren’t quite as “tight” sounding as those, but close, and these are a bigger speaker as well.

My mixes overall translated well playing back on the new monitors (old set was a pair of JBL 305s). That being said I didn’t hear any sort of new details or subtle things listening back music I was familiar with.

My room is semi treated, and I haven’t played around with the eq at all. Still waiting on the app to come out and mess with that. Not expecting much from it, but curious to see what it does.
Sounds great!! Hope they work out for you.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Too be honest, when I first got the V6S4, I feared that I preferred the Rokit 7 "out the box" more, and that I had made a mistake. I listened to some of the same songs over and over and finally realized that everything was SO "clear" ....and that was a bit off putting because I was hearing some tracks differently for the first time, lol. I love the midrange on both monitors, but the V6 are definitely clearer. At first I "thought" I had lost a little low end moving to the V6 (even though the cone is visibly moving more air), but I realized that the bass was "tighter" and the clearer presence of the highs and midrange were taking my "focus" away from the bass. I have the V6 set at +4 as recommended in manual, and have almost no hiss unless you place your ear to the speaker. Reading about the "hiss" issue is what deterred me from choosing V6 in first place!! I should have demoed the V6 for myself, because hiss turns out to be a non-issue for me. So in summary...V6 clearer, tighter bass, better build quality, hiss non-issue. But don't misunderstand me, I think the Rokit 7 is a great monitor in its price range. I was all set to track with them. I did not demo any 8s, I only demoed 7s in search of clearer midranges, and smaller desk footprint.
Thanks! I will try spring for V6S4 instead of Rokit 7 due to tightness. Rokit 7 seems good (I heard the 5 and 8, which were good) but does not seem to be a slightly more extended, much cheaper V6S4, which was great.

If you appreciate midrange clarity and tightness, you will not like the Rokit 8, VXT 8, and V8S4 as much too.
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thanks! I will try spring for V6S4 instead of Rokit 7 due to tightness. Rokit 7 seems good (I heard the 5 and 8, which were good) but does not seem to be a slightly more extended, much cheaper V6S4, which was great.

If you appreciate midrange clarity and tightness, you will not like the Rokit 8, VXT 8, and V8S4 as much too.
I believe you. Did not like midrange in my budget 8 inch monitors, and I read posts from many others that feel the same. Seems like slightly smaller woofers generally gain clarity.....but at the expense of loss of some low end. Good luck, hope you find what works for you!!
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
What’s the sound differences between rokit 7 and v6 s4? Worth the money extra?
I want to upgrade my rokit 6 g2, rokit 7 g4 is better in terms of mixing translation?
Old 3rd May 2019
Here for the gear

I’d say if you got the money go v6, if not, I still think you’d be satisfied with the G4 7s.
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I’d say if you got the money go v6, if not, I still think you’d be satisfied with the G4 7s.
And what about eve audio sc207? Should I take Eve or krk v6? It’s the same price
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidestrelinha View Post
And what about eve audio sc207? Should I take Eve or krk v6? It’s the same price
The Eve sc207 are going to sound totally different because of the different driver materials. Adam, Eve, and Hedd monitors use AMT tweeters, which some find offensive. The Eve is also back-ported vs the front-ported KRK, Adam, and Hedd.

The V6S4 are better than the A7X and SC207. I haven’t heard the HEDD 07.
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Eve sc207 are going to sound totally different because of the different driver materials. Adam, Eve, and Hedd monitors use AMT tweeters, which some find offensive. The Eve is also back-ported vs the front-ported KRK, Adam, and Hedd.

The V6S4 are better than the A7X and SC207. I haven’t heard the HEDD 07.
Why you think krk’s v6 are better?
I want something good to mix EDM, to upgrade my krk rokit 6 g2.

Im thinking about :
Krk V6S4 or V8 if low end isn’t enough
Eve Audio sc207
Adam A7X
Eve sc305 (3way but only goes down to 50hz) maybe i would add a subwoofer in the future)

3way has any vantage to mix EDM? Or 2 way can do the same job? I’m just trying to understand a little bit more

Anyone can help me make the best decision? Or tell me which ones I should try on my 5x2,5 studio?
I need true and linear monitors to mix with precision, my rokits aren’t reliable.
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Why you think krk’s v6 are better?
I want something good to mix EDM, to upgrade my krk rokit 6 g2.

Im thinking about :
Krk V6S4 or V8 if low end isn’t enough
Eve Audio sc207
Adam A7X
Eve sc305 (3way but only goes down to 50hz) maybe i would add a subwoofer in the future)

3way has any vantage to mix EDM? Or 2 way can do the same job? I’m just trying to understand a little bit more

Anyone can help me make the best decision? Or tell me which ones I should try on my 5x2,5 studio?
I need true and linear monitors to mix with precision, my rokits aren’t reliable.
Older KRK Rokits with the single exception of Rokit 10-3 are too colored.

Adam A7X and A77X have boomier, softer, more pillowy, more distorted sounding bass than the current KRK V6S4 and V8S4. The AMT tweeters are also softer but harsher at the same time. The Adam X series monitors sound like a good hifi system that’s euphonic but cleanish and rather detailed. They’re actually hard to judge levels and compression on.

KRK 6” Kevlar monitors and KRK 6000 have always had a brutally revealing midrange even if their overall sound quality varied and some sounded more like NS10m or more smeared. KRK V6S4 is the best one yet and not honky or smeared but it doesn’t really go below 50hz so the lowest electric bass notes aren’t there so you must do some referencing with more extended playback systems but it won’t leave you lacking weight at all like the 3-5” boxy monitors from Genelec, JBL, and Neumann.

KRK v8s4 were far more extended when I tried them but lacked that midrange clarity and had flabbier bass due to the 8” woofer crossed over to a 1” dome tweeter. The only 8” monitor I’ve heard that doesn’t get flabby is Yamaha HS8 but those only extends as far as others brands 6-7” woofers models. You won’t need a sub with V8. You won’t need utmost midrange clarity for EDM either as you don’t have vocals and guitar tones to zoom in on. The looser sound doesn’t matter for DAW EDM production because you are aligning to a grid.

All that being said, KRK V8S4 would probably become the best of the models you listed for you to produce EDM on but you might be satisfied with the cheaper Rokit 8“ G4 or you might even like the not out yet Rokit 10 3-way better than the V8 if you sit to mix further back. Try them before you spend a lot.
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e View Post
Rich hear from KRK here. Now the yellow has an actual purpose. We are using Kevlar on all our monitors now.
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Get something else.

The KRK Rokit 5 fourth generation with the Kevlar drivers sounds good. It’s not awful like their previous Rokits but it is colored like the more expensive KRKs with punchy warm bass, a little too thick low mids, and slightly softened and slightly splatty treble but nothing too offensive. Think a worse V6. The Rokit 7 should be similar but the cabs might be too underbuilt to be a real value engineered V6.

The KRK Rokit 8 is flabby like the VXT 8 and V8. Kicks sound behind the beat.

Even if you like the KRK sound, KRK is owned by Gibson, and has had horrific reliability with the tweeters and plate amps. I’ve had Rokit plate amps give out in tracking, have seen many VXT tweeters blow out, and have heard the recent V series with the Kevlar tweeters hiss more than cheap JBLs.
Rich from KRK here. Which series of the V series are you talking about?

What do you mean by the plate amps give out in tracking?

Also I’m just curious about the VXT Twitter is blowing out. I have been with KRK for five years now and work with hundreds and hundreds of artists and I’ve never seen a bad tweeter blown on a VXT. That said the VXT does not sound like the old KRK is that people loved. I figure that out when I got here. That’s why I brought the V series 4 monitors to the market. And then everything I learned doing the V series 4 monitors I’ve baked into the Rokit G4. They are truly next level. Have you heard the G4s?
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
But despite these criticisms, the smaller KRK Rokit fourth generation monitors with the Kevlar drivers are impossible to beat right now for the combination of detail and cohesiveness in the price range. The coloration can be dealt with by listening to reference material and pretty much everything is colored in the cheap bastard price range. So if you like how it sounds, then get it. I just hope Gibson have stepped up their reliability and quality control after their bankruptcy.
The New G4 is definitely not colored. They are very flat. We have a reputation for being scooped. My goal with these was to end that. I am a professional mix engineer myself, and I agree with a lot of the things that people say about KRK but there have been many great KRKs in the past and I set out to bring that back and goi forward into the future. Up Next am working on revamping and bringing the Expose line back to the market.

The following isn’t a marketing number, we have a return rate of literally less than 1%. KRK are very reliable. We had one issue over 10 years ago and we jumped right on it and corrected it.

As to Gibson, they were very hands off. Well, except for the Les Paul monitors. :-) Under the new managementIt has been great, they love us, and are very supportive of our plans. The future is super bright.
Old 4th May 2019
Rich from KRK here. I just want to let anyone reading this that doesn’t know me, know that I am not here to promote KRK over any other brand. That is not my job. I am just here to answer questions . I also jump in and add to the conversations and things that I’ve found out since I’ve been working here. Many of you know me from Line 6, and know that I want you all to make your own conclusions, I’m just one of you. Pleas, if you think I overstepped any bounds, feel free to call me out. I will apologize or remove any post. I just love making toys for us to all play with and I love talking to other kids about my toys. :-)

Last edited by richrenken; 4th May 2019 at 02:29 AM..
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Appreciate the input Rich! I like when companies actually listen to their customers and respond on the feedback. Back in 2006 I had a paid of V6 series 2, LOVED those things.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrenken View Post
That’s why I brought the V series 4 monitors to the market. And then everything I learned doing the V series 4 monitors I’ve baked into the Rokit G4. They are truly next level. Have you heard the G4s?
Rich, can u told me plz the main differences between G4 and V s4 ? I want to upgrade my rokit 6 g2...
Thanks
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Appreciate the input Rich! I like when companies actually listen to their customers and respond on the feedback. Back in 2006 I had a paid of V6 series 2, LOVED those things.
Thank you for the kind words. I do appreciate it.

Those were one of the 10 or so very loved KRK models. One of my beta guys for the new V Series 4 was Joe Barresi. His main mix monitors are the V6 Series 2. He has told so many guys about the new Series 4. He heard the very first prototypes and helped me nail it. Mike Plotnikoff was a big Series 2 guy and loves the Series 4. He said they have cut his mix time in half.
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Rich, can u told me plz the main differences between G4 and V s4 ? I want to upgrade my rokit 6 g2...
Thanks
The V Series 4 are our midline monitor. We are going to bring our top line Expose back next. ROKIT are our affordable studio monitors.

My goal as the product manager is to help continue the legacy of the KRK sound that has been loved for years. All the lines have done well but certain models have stood out. 9000, 7000, 6000 in the passive days and the V8 Series 1, V6 Series 2 and E8, E8t from the powered era. Rokits were born of that sound and vibe. They have been a great tool for many. They had the right soundscape and sound signature.

Bringing DSP and drivers made with Kevlar has given the new ROKIT G4 the same soundscape and flat curve we nailed in the V Series 4 which we worked to have them have that old school high end KRK sound.

So now your choice is just about headroom and SPL. The Vs are louder. They have the solid aluminum baffle for stability. They come with grilles. They have 49 different EQ curves, G4 has 25. The Vs are reinforced and have screw holes for wall mounting.

The new ROKIT 7 (same size as your 6) would be a definite upgrade and the V6 would be next level.

Hope the history helps. ?
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The V Series 4 are our midline monitor. We are going to bring our top line Expose back next. ROKIT are our affordable studio monitors.

My goal as the product manager is to help continue the legacy of the KRK sound that has been loved for years. All the lines have done well but certain models have stood out. 9000, 7000, 6000 in the passive days and the V8 Series 1, V6 Series 2 and E8, E8t from the powered era. Rokits were born of that sound and vibe. They have been a great tool for many. They had the right soundscape and sound signature.

Bringing DSP and drivers made with Kevlar has given the new ROKIT G4 the same soundscape and flat curve we nailed in the V Series 4 which we worked to have them have that old school high end KRK sound.

So now your choice is just about headroom and SPL. The Vs are louder. They have the solid aluminum baffle for stability. They come with grilles. They have 49 different EQ curves, G4 has 25. The Vs are reinforced and have screw holes for wall mounting.

The new ROKIT 7 (same size as your 6) would be a definite upgrade and the V6 would be next level.

Hope the history helps. ?
So what I see is that in terms of sound, there are not big differences between the two models. If u told me that in V8s4 i can get a better mix, mids more clear and less distortion than rokit8g4 i would go for it. Thanks again Rich.
Old 4th May 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Quote:
Rich hear from KRK here. Now the yellow has an actual purpose. We are using Kevlar on all our monitors now.
Protection against flying beer bottles and stiletto heels, I guess.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Rich from KRK here. Which series of the V series are you talking about?

What do you mean by the plate amps give out in tracking?

Also I’m just curious about the VXT Twitter is blowing out. I have been with KRK for five years now and work with hundreds and hundreds of artists and I’ve never seen a bad tweeter blown on a VXT. That said the VXT does not sound like the old KRK is that people loved. I figure that out when I got here. That’s why I brought the V series 4 monitors to the market. And then everything I learned doing the V series 4 monitors I’ve baked into the Rokit G4. They are truly next level. Have you heard the G4s?
Thank you for responding about Rokit 7 vs V6!

I had when I wrote my original post and then again when I wrote the second post in thread saying they’re still good. Change of opinion but I still think they’re warm.

Rokit 5 G4 is good stuff. Tightest budget monitor. No hiss or weird power handling. Rokit 8, I need to hear in a better room but it sounded more scooped. Better in every way than JBL 308 and Mackie 824 and extended much lower than Yamaha HS8.

Will Rokit 10 gen 4 get much louder than the gen 3?
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The New G4 is definitely not colored. They are very flat. We have a reputation for being scooped. My goal with these was to end that. .
I honestly think that's going to be a big challenge. I have a pair of 8400s phones and they are amazing, for me anyway. But I saw this thread and though, hmm rokits. I had some 6's i think, they weren't bad at all, but they were hardly amazing either.

Quote:
Better in every way than JBL 308 and Mackie 824 and extended much lower than Yamaha HS8.
You see, i'm quite open minded and believe you never know until you find out for yourself, but i'm instantly skeptical of that comment, the negative reinforcement is that strong.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search