The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KRK Rokit G4 reviews?
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
My dynaudio’s bm15a dont hiss like that. Probably because the brand is better
Some do some don't. I had Mackies before, they didn't hiss at all. Crap monitors though. Now I have V6S4, they hiss. I find it be a pleasant very soft white noise. It affects absolutely nothing. Right now I'm typing this as I'm listening to this wonderful ear caressing hiss. I don't turn the music on because I find the hiss soothing. Dead silence makes my ears ring sometimes. I prefer the hiss. Now my PC fan is kind of humming and it's annoying. It's also way louder than the monitors. But somehow I didn't notice it until this very moment when I started to listening actively to all the noises in the room and then I thought "hey, where my PC noise?" oh there it is, still there. My brain just completely shut it off. The fan fluctuates RMPs too all the time, so annoying. It's Ryzen 3900x. Oh wait, I don't hear it anymore again, don't find it interesting to focus on. But speaker hiss... great! I mean, if I were you, I'd just be sitting here all day and listening to the CPU whine and drive myself crazy! What a crappy low-quality, no-brand CPU and fan! I need to return it and will never buy an AMD ever again! Just kidding...

I also have a central AC humming in the walls and air rustling through the vents. I enjoy that too. Nice peaceful ambiance. It makes my studio feel cozy.

Just me though. However you should try being like me. Hating noise is a learned response because you think it's a defect of sorts and you tell yourself to hate it because, well, it shouldn't be there and needs to be hated.

Well, this is a very long rambling response about a hiss of all the things, amazing. Early morning for me. That hiss is so soothing and inspiring, I could probably write a novel with it in the background...

Also, I'm curious, why did you get the lowly RP7 if you already have the high-end BM15a?
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Some do some don't. I had Mackies before, they didn't hiss at all. Crap monitors though. Now I have V6S4, they hiss. I find it be a pleasant very soft white noise. It affects absolutely nothing. Right now I'm typing this as I'm listening to this wonderful ear caressing hiss. I don't turn the music on because I find the hiss soothing. Dead silence makes my ears ring sometimes. I prefer the hiss. Now my PC fan is kind of humming and it's annoying. It's also way louder than the monitors. But somehow I didn't notice it until this very moment when I started to listening actively to all the noises in the room and then I thought "hey, where my PC noise?" oh there it is, still there. My brain just completely shut it off. The fan fluctuates RMPs too all the time, so annoying. It's Ryzen 3900x. Oh wait, I don't hear it anymore again, don't find it interesting to focus on. But speaker hiss... great! I mean, if I were you, I'd just be sitting here all day and listening to the CPU whine and drive myself crazy! What a crappy low-quality, no-brand CPU and fan! I need to return it and will never buy an AMD ever again! Just kidding...

I also have a central AC humming in the walls and air rustling through the vents. I enjoy that too. Nice peaceful ambiance. It makes my studio feel cozy.

Just me though. However you should try being like me. Hating noise is a learned response because you think it's a defect of sorts and you tell yourself to hate it because, well, it shouldn't be there and needs to be hated.

Well, this is a very long rambling response about a hiss of all the things, amazing. Early morning for me. That hiss is so soothing and inspiring, I could probably write a novel with it in the background...

Also, I'm curious, why did you get the lowly RP7 if you already have the high-end BM15a?

Everybody has their own opinion on the hiss. For producing it's annoying. When you play the music soft, the hiss is still noticable.

I got the RP7 for my bedroom studio. Would like to be as productive as possible !
Old 23rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrenken View Post
Up Next am working on revamping and bringing the Expose line back to the market.

I absolutely loved the old version big KRK Expose's sound,
open, powerful, really great and I wished I would have found a matching pair
in good shape.

It would be fantastic if KRK makes new, durable ones.

I did not listen to the ROKIT 10-3 G4 yet, can you compare them to the Expose?

thanks!
Old 28th April 2020
Here for the gear

Switching from HS7 to KRK G4 7.

So I used to have G2 5" speakers and had no issue with them but I felt it was time to "upgrade" to a more professional monitor. I decided to go with the Yamaha HS7s. I don't have issues with the sound quality although I do think they lack low end. My biggest issue with them is that I learned that they are not built with any sort of shielding so if you have any sort of electrical or cell phone tower nearby, be prepared for your monitors to pick up interference.

My biggest complaint was the response from Yamaha support. They provided no help and basically insulted me for not having a real studio and that their monitors were not built for apartments or home studios.

I've decided to go with the KRK G4 7s once Sweetwater gets them back in stock.
Old 7th May 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Just got the new g4's rp7. But the hiss is soooo annoying, damn. Tried turning it down -10db. No succes. Thinking about sending them back. I want silence when nothing is playing and nog an annoying hiss.. Some way to help this?
I have KRK RP8 G2 and I replace all caps in both monitors, and finally now no more hiss when nothing is playing, sound is healthier, no more buzzing from coil, I assume that had to do something with crappy caps they put in.
Plus I clean all that black glue(gunk) from the boards, really annoying thing, and still don't know why they do it.
I understand if you have some kind of power supply, but here in speakers I really don't see a point.

Anyone try to disassembling that KRK G4 version ? I am curious how they look inside (caps and all other electronics).
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear

Rockit 10.3r4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
I absolutely loved the old version big KRK Expose's sound,
open, powerful, really great and I wished I would have found a matching pair
in good shape.

It would be fantastic if KRK makes new, durable ones.

I did not listen to the ROKIT 10-3 G4 yet, can you compare them to the Expose?

thanks!
I've been playing them for a month, and they sound very good, and with well-defined bass and a fairly low response. The trebles are very sharp and bright, not garish. The media is what I appreciate the most, since they are valued with many sounds at the same time, thanks to their separation, the different types of productions can be evaluated. Vile voices, too high, compressed, or classic.

As for the background sound, it's not my problem. I have them calibrated to 0 decibels and nothing is heard.

The only negative aspect has appeared to me because the speaker of one of the 2 boxes has a small noise (resonance), which is only appreciated when the mid and high components are removed in the equalization. I have informed my seller and the distributor in Spain has answered me, so that he can send them to mend. I do not want it to be repaired but to be changed, because it is newly bought.

I'll tell you what happens ...

Attached link to problem video:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7ea...5065149/78bf70
Old 13th June 2020
Here for the gear
Does anybody know if the shielding in the G4 range is the same as in previous generation Rokits? I'm considering upgrading to a pair of RP7 G4s from my cheapo Alesis monitors, which are unshielded.

I live next door to a telecoms building and suffer from really bad RFI; I've heard that the shielding in older gen Rokits is robust enough to handle these kinds of issues.

Thanks!
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidwho View Post
Does anybody know if the shielding in the G4 range is the same as in previous generation Rokits? I'm considering upgrading to a pair of RP7 G4s from my cheapo Alesis monitors, which are unshielded.

I live next door to a telecoms building and suffer from really bad RFI; I've heard that the shielding in older gen Rokits is robust enough to handle these kinds of issues.

Thanks!
Well, I'm not sure about the old Rokits statement. Just from my experience comparing my My Rokit 5 G3s and M-AUDIO BX5 D2.

When both are connected to the interface's balanced outputs, the RP5G3 hisses more than the M-AUDIO, but is still fine for listening at 1m away.

When both are connected to my MiniDSP's RCA outputs (by using either RCA-RCA or RCA-TRS cables), though, the BX5 is as silent as with the balanced setup, but the Rokits start playing radio and buzzing like mad.

So, I'm not sure if this is expected behavior in my setup/location, but I'm sure the BX5's have something better in them to prevent that. Of course, when I compare them I use the exact same setup, including cables and power source.

Funny that the interference the KRK is picking only comes through the unbalanced cables. Am I right to assume that it is externally shielded, but has bad "filters" inside?
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head

For people like me who don't have a chance to compare them live, these videos could be somewhat useful.

Both new and old Rokit 5's compared to JBL 305P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVXcrWzWiqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8iahoh9sUE

I know using youtube to audition speakers is stupid, but whatever, I'm stupid. Huge improvement imo. G3 has boomy bass and scooped mids. G4 feels much flatter.

Last edited by Gonira; 4th August 2020 at 09:59 PM..
Old 7th August 2020
REALLY surprised how almost no one is talking about Rokit 10-3 (aka RP103G4)

I've owned the 10-3 G2 - and they were shockingly good. Truly unrivalled in many respects, anywhere remotely near their price-point.

Sound On Sound wrote a review back in the day that I'd completely agree with:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/krk-rokit-rp10-3

I can only imagine how many improvements the G4 would bring.

I'd highly recommend them to absolutely anyone who can accommodate them - even if you only use them as near-fields.
They have a scale and presence of sound that many near-fields really lack - This is highly underrated for some reason.

Oh, and don't be too put off by their size. I was very surprised how little space they actually need. (Their front-porting helps this too.)

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey Rich it’s Richard, new to this site as a poster, long t8me lurker. I have an interesting case building up, hope you see and can respond to this fairly soon as I have to make some moves rather quick.

So I bought one v4s4 from guitar center for only $150(+25 shipping, stupid used gear policy) and accidentally just purchased at Rokit 10 G3 not really understanding the generations, as honestly I’ve always strictly wanted to avoid them because of the bass head stereotype. Used Adam A7X pair with Sub ten and originally just a pair of HS5s. I’m in a particular situation where I’m creating my mobile studio in my 79’ Toyota dolphin, if your familiar at all, they are tiny little motor homes, quaint, but not quite ideal for studio production. So I’ve had people ramming me I the rear for throwing a random 3 way in my mix, but I can’t do anything without sub bass frequencies, I have a B extended 5 string godin, my other main instruments are godin acs slim nylon electric and multiUke also godin (lil bit of a fan of the northern production I also have a rare moment machine from cooper fox and two of the new arcades plus a few other mono pedals before the stereo half of my pedalboard with echosystem at the end and the Electro-Harmonix who I also used to despise and still kind of do...). Anyways although I mess up my clean instruments quite well with an array of attacks pedal forumulated I still need a really clean stereo image overall in my small rig.

I’m building a speaker case (tomorrow with my dad) that will come out from my studio desk and also swivel so it can face the longest length I can manage in my rig (maybe 7-8 feet). I’m building the box out of popular wood mainly and lining parts of that with some fair grade half inch studio panels where the speakers will all touch to avoid direct contact. I have some other nicer foam panels I’ll do some decorative lining on the front that has a high absorption rate. The back will just be this supportive poplar 1x2” strips of wood mainly open design, but there is a very large thick hand stitched tapestry that blocks the front of my rig and my bed space, which is actually 5 total inches of a large twin sized space made of dense memory foam... I’m going to do acoustic panels all over the ceiling as well as a full wall of non studio foam rated fake wood stuff blocking my bathroom ad expensive storage area I plan to turn into essentially a large safe in time. I have only two official triangle bass traps, pair was $80 at guitar center. Getting two more fairly cheap rectangle that I think are .7 overall and only .4 in 100hz bass range I guess, but overall I think I will have fair acoustic as a start at least. Also getting bass traps to line other wall opposite of perpendicular fake wood wall in the top corner where I need to patch the roof and down the wal slightly so some more triangles or maybe the variated triangle vibe, how much do you think I should spend on those as they might be some of my last bass trap investments (hopefully).

I just can’t stand the idea of not having good bass in my space even if it needs to be kept at low volume, so here is where the Krk specific questions start firing off.. is the g3 10” sufficient at low volumes likely with -2db setting as the preferred flat setting or will I need to get a g4, I know the eq settings being more advanced would be ideal for sure. Money is getting tight here towards the end of this project and I’d like to hit the road with some money still, also reverb is going to be pissed at me for cancelling a purchased order amongst one or two other hiccups on my account and don’t really want to get suspended... but the g4 looks sooo much better especially in my situation. Oka now time to address the v4 side of the operation. There are two more v4 KRKs right now used for $425 a pair, the image is unclear but I think they are gen 3s with my little knowledge which would certainly match the profile of my 10” g 3 better, but I was hoping to score another cheap v4s4 and have a pair of those and a 10” g 4, but would it be to far fetched to either keep the v4s4 have a pair of v4s3s as my dedicated stereo pair for my guitar rig and with the g3 in my theory thinking have a 5.1 system essentially with the fourth bi amp just being interested with the additionally amped 10” sub. So to simplify my most prudent questions am I better off just getting one more v4s4 likely new as thee don’t seem to be any used around right now and pay the premium or for $25 more? Doubling my speakers into almost surround territory but not my Kevlar loosing it to the two soft dome tweeters..? Also how are the voicings going to match up with the g3 mid range being an exact size match to the rest of the gang, if getting the s3s the tweeter material matching seems they’d all be ideal matches, but not the new bigger better badder system, if this is my route should I just sell the v4s4 or could it still play a role in the attempt to get towards surround in such a small space. I would likely keep all four enclosures in the same moving studio set up that will also have slots for my Clarett 4 usb, which luckily has perfect out routing capabilities for my four monitor plan. The theory placements for each would be g3 on top farthest away then two matching v4s3 as my ear level triangle and the v4s4 either being slightly lowered underneath the two with about the amount of space that the Clarett wil take up, likely on its side laying opposite to the top g3 is doing, this guy could also be at the same level either upright or sideways in the middle of the pair of older brothers, honestly not really sure, but once I’m done building this moving studio megacenter there won’t be any going back. All the speakers will essentially have nothing in front of them directly except maybe if the single v4 is lowered than he might be about the level of the 3” sequoia plank that I’m going to make as a draw bridge type cover for the three monitors that moves down to add space for my maschine mk3 and midi 32 keyboard right in the action zone in front of me. I saw the 3 way does better on its side in close quarters and although I will have it above the rest it really won’t be all that far away although my chair can move back a bit and my monitors are my 11 inch iPad Pro connected to my Mac mini and then 13” AOC portable monitor connected to two the other two either mirroring or separate task able making the mixing process one where I can move. So should I shoot for the cheap v4s3s and keep as a third matching but better or live with a standard dual stereo and pay the same for a single exact match to my s4? Then am I crazy in the first place to think I can add a 3 way to this to finish off my lacking bass from having four inches? A problem I will solve somehow, but a 6-7” sub seems less ideal to a 10” kept at either lower volumes or extra bass cut. Should I try to not piss off reverb by just accepting my g3 mistake for now and likely upgrade later or cancel that and for $150 more get a slightly reduced Sweetwater demo or guitar center open box g4? If I lived with generation 3s all around and a dual bi amp single tri amp I could pronanly double my money on my v4s4, but I could also sell that and either get another cheap g3 and not buy the s3s at all and just have a dual 3 way set up, but that seems like to much power. I’m leaning towards v4s4, 2 X v4s4, and keepin the g3, but putting it back online rigt away and flipping up to a g4 or just bite the bullet and cancel a reverb confirmed purchase from just 12 hrs ago and hope they don’t suspend me as I’ve pulled them nearing 1,000 in the last six months buying and selling generally with profit sometimes from a pure lust for something only to find my board of pedals is already highly capable and not really lacking in much of anything really... but then there is always more features, weirder character traits to try and unique interesting platforms to tinker with, I know the shoegazers and pedal pushers/ droolers feel me there.

So sorry that was a lot, generally I stay if forums cause, guess what I like to read and write and can get a little carried away at times. I hope the Krk section reads lucid and isn’t incessantly ramble repeatedly stream of vibes as I would really appriciate anyone’s feedback to any and all dilemmas. Definitely would love to hear from you rich specifically as I can’t find another internet post really anywhere on the results of throwing a single 3 way amongst a crew of near matching 3 set of bi amps trying to attain a lowest profile, fullest hz span and good full rich sounds even at low volume environments. Sincerely all comments are welcome. I don’t really like the terms crazy or other mental health looney harsh flak thrown about, weird or intense, more adjective critique basis is welcomed though. Seriously, this site can be a wealth of knowledge, please through don’t flex the testicles of your wallet, this is my budget, admittedly never a brand I thought I’d seek out, but the v4s seemed most promising, I would have gone towards gen 8010s and one of there sleek futuristic AF small subs and when the wealth of the road life returns me flush I may very well seek that or more likely ADAM A3X pair with a gen sub, seriously I’m in love with there Star Wars new melenium adjacent style, freaking awesome. There is also a pair of cheap 20/20 event with the little sub around me right now for a fair price, but I don’t like the notion of a down facing sub as that’s the way we like to... and I don’t like those type noises interfering with a mix as I heard it can hiss a bit, would drive me looney. I perplexed for a moment v4s4 steal and a 450 demo G4 with a pair of likely waste bin Mackie or M audio baby bullsneeze monitors, but when I thought I was getting a $300 lcd eq 3 way and an additional pair of v4s I was astounded by my luck, until I researched into what the little G# means and now I’m stricken with bewilderment need for advice, budgeting and a clear plan for my slide out studio rig wooden creation or my dad will think I’m doing drugs and refuse to let me use his full sized wood shop studio power tools to do this thing right as opposed to my unrequited sold in mobile preparation table tools till now I’m down to just a small bag of crap power rigid hand tools... I miss my dual bevel shop saw and triton router w/ table so much lately,.., Anyways thanks for dragging on, sorry for the far out parts, should be a quicker read than write, appriciate anyone who managed to even skim down this far and as always make music, make music great again and use it to dismantle standardized living, the age of rock may be dead right now but things go in and out of flux and I got to see the violent femmes in an open floor setting back in February so I still have faith that the filled room meant there is still connection between the young few and many older folks, passing down traditions, tribulations and tender care much like this website, thanks for having me and double thanks for anyone with input!

BLM
Make America give third party a win
Sorry,
Robot Richard
🦌🤖🦉🤦🏻‍♂️🦥🤖🦦

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrenken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidestrelinha View Post
Rich, can u told me plz the main differences between G4 and V s4 ? I want to upgrade my rokit 6 g2...
Thanks
The V Series 4 are our midline monitor. We are going to bring our top line Expose back next. ROKIT are our affordable studio monitors.

My goal as the product manager is to help continue the legacy of the KRK sound that has been loved for years. All the lines have done well but certain models have stood out. 9000, 7000, 6000 in the passive days and the V8 Series 1, V6 Series 2 and E8, E8t from the powered era. Rokits were born of that sound and vibe. They have been a great tool for many. They had the right soundscape and sound signature.

Bringing DSP and drivers made with Kevlar has given the new ROKIT G4 the same soundscape and flat curve we nailed in the V Series 4 which we worked to have them have that old school high end KRK sound.

So now your choice is just about headroom and SPL. The Vs are louder. They have the solid aluminum baffle for stability. They come with grilles. They have 49 different EQ curves, G4 has 25. The Vs are reinforced and have screw holes for wall mounting.

The new ROKIT 7 (same size as your 6) would be a definite upgrade and the V6 would be next level.

Hope the history helps. ?
📝 Reply