The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KRK Rokit G4 reviews?
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl088 View Post
Ive only read about it and also it waa mentioned on a youtube channel that compares speakers. It was also said that the RP5 had a lower noise floor compared to the RP7.

Ive asked a friend who owns an RP8 G3 and he claims it is dead silent with nothing played but searching on the internet tells me otherwise
Hi, Rich from KRK here. All powered monitors have "hiss" if you put your head near the tweeter. This is because all brands run the amp "wide open". You adjust how loud they are by the input. This give you maximum headroom so you never feel the "end" of the monitor. In mix position with the G4 you will not "hear" the slight hiss.
Old 18th June 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Rich/KRK

Different question here about the G4 line. Do they come in white - or will they some time in the future?

Aside from running my home studio (with non-KRK monitors at this point), I want to install some active speakers in our living room, and the KRKs, possibly the 8" ones, seem to be a rather perfect fit if connected directly to the XLR outputs of our pre-amp/streamer. However, my wife insists on white :-) ... and I can't seem to find any info on white G4s.

Best,
Thomas
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

@ richrenken

What is the sensitivity threshold of the auto-sleep function?

What is the power draw in standby mode?
Old 19th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrenken View Post
Hi, Rich from KRK here. All powered monitors have "hiss" if you put your head near the tweeter. This is because all brands run the amp "wide open". You adjust how loud they are by the input. This give you maximum headroom so you never feel the "end" of the monitor. In mix position with the G4 you will not "hear" the slight hiss.

I hope that is the case as the reports didnt indicate though that it was coming from the tweeter but I guess that is already a given however a lot of the mentioned that it is audible at even 1meter away. A youtube channel sa mentioned this on the comments section that both G3 and G4 have this intrusive hiss and its worse on the G4, While my friend who has the G3 claims his tweeter is dead silent and no hiss.
Old 19th June 2019
Quote:
I hope that is the case as the reports didnt indicate though that it was coming from the tweeter but I guess that is already a given however a lot of the mentioned that it is audible at even 1meter away. A youtube channel sa mentioned this on the comments section that both G3 and G4 have this intrusive hiss and its worse on the G4, While my friend who has the G3 claims his tweeter is dead silent and no hiss.
This just shows the amount of misleading info out there. If we roll with your friend's experience then all powered monitors are dead silent. If we go with someone who says that it is "audible" at 1 meter away with no other parameters or constraints then all powered monitors are intrusive.
Old 19th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think77 View Post
Hi Rich/KRK

Different question here about the G4 line. Do they come in white - or will they some time in the future?

Aside from running my home studio (with non-KRK monitors at this point), I want to install some active speakers in our living room, and the KRKs, possibly the 8" ones, seem to be a rather perfect fit if connected directly to the XLR outputs of our pre-amp/streamer. However, my wife insists on white :-) ... and I can't seem to find any info on white G4s.

Best,
Thomas
Yes. They have been shipping slowly from the factory. Keep and eye out and ask your retailer to ask our sales team when they are coming.
Old 19th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piszpan View Post
@ richrenken

What is the sensitivity threshold of the auto-sleep function?

What is the power draw in standby mode?
I am not sure. I know it is relatively low. Doesn't take much to wake them. You can defeat the auto-sleep function. We call it standby.

The power draw is super low. I think less than a half watt or less.
Old 19th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
This just shows the amount of misleading info out there. If we roll with your friend's experience then all powered monitors are dead silent. If we go with someone who says that it is "audible" at 1 meter away with no other parameters or constraints then all powered monitors are intrusive.
Do you have the numbers in dB on how loud this normally goes?
Old 21st June 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Rich, do you know when the krk app is coming ? thanks.
Old 22nd June 2019
Deleted e09cd8e
I heard the KRK Rokit 5 G4 again, this time against the Adam A7X and Yamaha HS8 and it beat both for immediacy and depth of the midrange. In comparison, the Yamahas are veiled (except for the tin can HS5) and the Adams are boomy. The midrange is more forward and tighter on the Rokit 5 than on the Rokit 7 and Rokit 8 too. They were so cheap I had to order them on the spot. These Rokit 5 really sound like the V-series scaled down a little bit while the 7 and 8 have some veil and the 7 has dirty bass compared to the 8. What really surprised me was that the 7 doesn't extend further than the 5; the bass just gets way louder while the mids aren't as detailed. Now they're set up at my place and the staging and depth of the stereo center is just flooring me.
Old 24th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes. They have been shipping slowly from the factory. Keep and eye out and ask your retailer to ask our sales team when they are coming.
Hi Rich,

Just talked to Thomann here in Europe, and all they can say is that they have no idea when the white G4 monitors will arrive (they presumably haven't even heard about them). Can you share any kind of expected timeline? We really want a couple of them. Thanks a lot :-)

Best,
Thomas
Old 24th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbape3110 View Post
Hi Rich, do you know when the krk app is coming ? thanks.
Very very soon. We are beta testing it and working on one more really important feature that we discovered in testing. I can tell you, I thought this would be a cool tool. But even as a pro mix engineer with a good friend who comes over and has helped me build a great studio and who helps me "tune" my room. I took the app home with a pair of ROKIT 5 G4 and just started using it as if I did not know anything and I was very surprised at how intuitive and easy to use it was while also being very useful.

To anyone reading this, just in case, we wanted this to launch at the same time as G4 but we just ran out of time. We are a small team. We also want it to be magical and easy before we launch it. So, again, we are super close. Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram.
Old 24th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think77 View Post
Hi Rich,

Just talked to Thomann here in Europe, and all they can say is that they have no idea when the white G4 monitors will arrive (they presumably haven't even heard about them). Can you share any kind of expected timeline? We really want a couple of them. Thanks a lot :-)

Best,
Thomas
I am checking. If you don't hear back from me by mid next week, please feel free to remind me here or via PM.
Old 28th June 2019
Krk rokit 5 g4

Just got this unit in. I have a small space so its ideal for me. All i have to say is good job krk.
The bass seems more balanced and not quite as hyped, while the 1k up seems flat yet detailed.

I think it may honestly be the best 5 inch speaker on the market right now for mixing for the price. And has good extended bass 43hz. How do you guys do it with a 5 inch? Wow

The only gripe for me is that when reaching for the power switch in the back I keep bumping the knob which changes the gain on me.

All in all tho, a solid unit I wouldnt even consider entry level anymore.
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They have hiss because the amps are cheap, plain and simple. There are plenty of monitors with absolutely zero hiss and many hifi powered speakers like the Elac Navis that have no noise. I can run my pa amplifier into my pa tops that are very sensitive and even with the gain knob maxed I get effectively no audible noise.

Disappointed in your reply but hey it's not like you're going to admit to using poor filtering somewhere along the chain because that's what it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdan1988 View Post
Just got this unit in. I have a small space so its ideal for me. All i have to say is good job krk.
The bass seems more balanced and not quite as hyped, while the 1k up seems flat yet detailed.

I think it may honestly be the best 5 inch speaker on the market right now for mixing for the price. And has good extended bass 43hz. How do you guys do it with a 5 inch? Wow
Nah, focal alpha 50's take the cake there.
Old 1st July 2019
Deleted e09cd8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundationsAudio View Post
They have hiss because the amps are cheap, plain and simple. There are plenty of monitors with absolutely zero hiss and many hifi powered speakers like the Elac Navis that have no noise. I can run my pa amplifier into my pa tops that are very sensitive and even with the gain knob maxed I get effectively no audible noise.

Disappointed in your reply but hey it's not like you're going to admit to using poor filtering somewhere along the chain because that's what it really is.

Nah, focal alpha 50's take the cake there.
They all have hiss with your ear at the tweeter. Rokit 5 G4 has no hiss set up correctly in the sweet spot and Rokit 8 has a tiny bit but it is inaudible when in use. The amps in these are fine and do their job. Those PAs have passive crossovers to soak up the noise and dull the transients but they're PAs so it does not matter. Who cares what ELAC does in some ridiculously overpriced, coaxial 5" metal woofer monstrosities?

Alpha 50? Good? They're worse than the old Rokits. The JBL LSR 305, Yamahas, and these new KRKs are far cleaner. You can mix on anything but like almost all Focal speakers, the drivers have distortion that varies from unit to unit and the tweeter sounds awful. Focal stuff is fragile as hell so they have Focal Care now like they're Apple. The monitors KRK made with Focal drivers back in the day were far better than Focal's own monitors, especially the ones with kevlar tweeters.
Old 1st July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
They all have hiss with your ear at the tweeter. Rokit 5 G4 has no hiss set up correctly in the sweet spot and Rokit 8 has a tiny bit but it is inaudible when in use. The amps in these are fine and do their job. Those PAs have passive crossovers to soak up the noise and dull the transients but they're PAs so it does not matter. Who cares what ELAC does in some ridiculously overpriced, coaxial 5" metal woofer monstrosities?

Alpha 50? Good? They're worse than the old Rokits. The JBL LSR 305, Yamahas, and these new KRKs are far cleaner. You can mix on anything but like almost all Focal speakers, the drivers have distortion that varies from unit to unit and the tweeter sounds awful. Focal stuff is fragile as hell so they have Focal Care now like they're Apple. The monitors KRK made with Focal drivers back in the day were far better than Focal's own monitors, especially the ones with kevlar tweeters.
There's too much wrong there that I'm not sure where to start. Perhaps if you had ever used anything more than budget monitors you would have a different stance.
Old 1st July 2019
Quote:

There is nothing to admit. It is not poor filtering. The noise is not from the amps. It is gain in the system because the system runs wide open. We have made choices in our system to bring depth and width and clarity and "flatness" to them at this price point. If you want to look away because these are budget, that is ok. I get that.

You nailed it "effectively no audible noise." It is a trade off. I said it this way. "In mix position you will not "hear" it."

I am curious. I haven't heard the Elac Navis. But I have hundreds of competitors monitors here for both entry level but also stuff that our V Series 4 goes against. Which other monitors have zero hiss?
Old 1st July 2019
Deleted e09cd8e
Quote:
There's too much wrong there that I'm not sure where to start. Perhaps if you had ever used anything more than budget monitors you would have a different stance.
I have used very expensive monitors from ATC, Genelec, Neumann, Dynaudio, and other noted brands in the past. The newer KRK stuff is fully competitive with the Rokit 5 G4 being a huge bargain.

The older Rokits were rather colored for monitors but their color was rather consistent and they could be learned well-enough to do good work with them despite their shortcomings. The Rokit 10-3 was very good. They were available everywhere and did not break quickly.

Focals are sold like a typical boutique hi-fi brand, including not having the performance to justify the price, praise, and exclusivity. They have too much unit to unit variance and they are too fragile despite also being colored. All the tweeters are metal with resonances giving a false impression of more detail due to the harsher sound, while also not sounding cohesive together with the woofers. You can measure different distortion from unit to unit in the same model. Since they are expensive, fragile, have poor QC, and sold on exclusivity, if one breaks, you can't just buy another one the same day, swap in it, keep the sound you know, and get back to work.

They are outperformed as tools, what a monitor truly is, by several models from mass market brands sold everywhere: Yamaha HS8, JBL LSR 305 mkII, KRK Rokit 5 and 8 G4, etc. You can criticize them for being cheap products made to a cost but they work, have good QC, sound good in their intended uses, and are widely available.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

KRK Rokit 8 G4

Quote:
Rich hear from KRK here. Now the yellow has an actual purpose. We are using Kevlar on all our monitors now.
Hi Rich!

I bought 5 days ago the monitors KRK Rokit 8 G4. I found the sound excellent, but it has a very loud hiss compared to my previous Yamaha HS80m. Honestly this wheezing is bothering me a lot. Is there any setting that improves this? Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to minimize this hiss?

Thanks!
('m brazilian)
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphaelmsm View Post
Hi Rich!

I bought 5 days ago the monitors KRK Rokit 8 G4. I found the sound excellent, but it has a very loud hiss compared to my previous Yamaha HS80m. Honestly this wheezing is bothering me a lot. Is there any setting that improves this? Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to minimize this hiss?

Thanks!
('m brazilian)
Do you have them set to 0dB on the back? If so, if you don't need the headroom, you can lower them to -10.

These are 203 watts compared to the HS' 120 watts, so they are much louder. Powered monitors are by design running wide open and they all have hiss.

How close are you sitting to them? How loud do you monitor?

I love Brazil. I mixed a record for an artist from Brazil years ago. Still good friends.
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Rich, could you tell me how to connect my android phone to a pair rokit 4 7inch, for using the new coming Krk App. thank you very much.
Old 23rd August 2019
Here for the gear

@ richrenken

Is it okay to use a power strip to turn cut off power form the monitor or would that damage the electronics in the long run and I should turn them off individually from the back?
Old 23rd August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
@ richrenken

Is it okay to use a power strip to turn cut off power form the monitor or would that damage the electronics in the long run and I should turn them off individually from the back?
Hi, I checked in with one of our engineers and you can use the strips without any damage whatsoever. I hope this helps. Thanks, Jimmy L
Old 24th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Rich, I have a bit of an off topic question. I’m trying to decide which speakers to buy for an in home jam band setup. Vocals, guitar and bass will have dedicated amps and P.A., but I’m looking for the best speakers to run Garage Band drum tracks from an iPad, as well as playing keyboards thru...basically Hammond, whurlitzer and acoustic piano stuff...I was looking at QSC k 12, BOSE or JBL array type and others, but a light came on when I saw the new KRK midfield 10,s. I figured they would be more accurate than the “ stage “ stuff I’ve been considering and as there is no feedback issue or dynamic clipping, I.e. bass guitar...why not go for the new 3 way Rockit
10’s....
I’m currently using JBL LSR 4326’s , just because I’m no longer recording and have a pair ..they sound very good for this application, but I thought as they are in a room about 16 x 18 that a pair of midfield would disperse much better...
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Totally agree. That was my experience before I came here. Allow me to humbly share my story.

When I came to interview with KRK in 2014, I was looking for a part time gig. I had left Line 6, where I was a product manager for a bunch of products, to just be a full time mix engineer. It was going great but I wanted to find a part time gig to maybe get medical coverage and a few dollars so I could say no when an artist would send me their tracks and ask to sound like "old Al Green" and I would think, well, you have to sing and record like Al.

While I was interviewing, I told them that I did not even know KRK was still around. I came up in and around studios from 86 on. I saw KRK and used KRK everywhere. They looked at me like, who is this guy? I could tell, so I told them that about a year before the interview, I wanted to step up my monitoring at my studio and went on a monitor hunt to replace my Genelec 1029s that I had been using for 15 years. I called my pro major producer/engineer friends to see what I should look at. No one told me to check out KRK. (Because of a monster producer, I didn't upgrade, I loved my setup and people paid me to mix and would come back, so I was over it and gonna grow old using my 1029s) I asked them if that was their problem or mine. They realized it was theirs. I said, if you hire me, it will become my problem to solve. They asked if I had seen the Rokits anywhere, I honestly had not. It is almost unbelievable that I hadn't seen them, they are everywhere.

What did you do with the 1029s?

Also, what are your thoughts on the G4 10s?
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
EDIT: Changed my opinion after spending more time with them. Definitely recommended. Best budget small monitor around now.
So what happened then? Did they just wear in or did you tune them or move them? Or just get used to them?
Old 3rd September 2019
Deleted e09cd8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearphase View Post
So what happened then? Did they just wear in or did you tune them or move them? Or just get used to them?
I always liked them. I was forced to use the JBL 305 again and hated it again. The HS5 does not sound normal at all. The Rokit 5 G4 is a great, cheap midrange centric, normal enough sounding, small monitor. Just don't try to mix bassy music with them or play them too loud. You'll hit the limiter and run into power handling issues. If you mix quietly, they're great and translate well once you learn them. These can't stand up to rappers or a metal band cranking them up. Just buy bigger stuff then.
Old 4th September 2019
Here for the gear

is the 4th gen good to listen hardstyle or hardcore music?? Would you recommend me to buy krk rp7 g4 or krk rp8 g4?? thank you, I'm looking for good monitors to listen hardcore/hardstyle music
Old 14th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by old crow View Post
Hi Rich, I have a bit of an off topic question. I’m trying to decide which speakers to buy for an in home jam band setup. Vocals, guitar and bass will have dedicated amps and P.A., but I’m looking for the best speakers to run Garage Band drum tracks from an iPad, as well as playing keyboards thru...basically Hammond, whurlitzer and acoustic piano stuff...I was looking at QSC k 12, BOSE or JBL array type and others, but a light came on when I saw the new KRK midfield 10,s. I figured they would be more accurate than the “ stage “ stuff I’ve been considering and as there is no feedback issue or dynamic clipping, I.e. bass guitar...why not go for the new 3 way Rockit
10’s....
I’m currently using JBL LSR 4326’s , just because I’m no longer recording and have a pair ..they sound very good for this application, but I thought as they are in a room about 16 x 18 that a pair of midfield would disperse much better...
Sorry I missed this. I am no longer with KRK. They are moving the facilities from Chatsworth to Nashville and I am not going. So I am onto my next adventure.

The 103s are killer. But for this application I would get the K12. I think you mean you want to run tracks and keys though something for your monitoring and so the band can hear you on stage, correct?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search