The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK Rokit G4 reviews? Studio Monitors
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In my circle of audio engineers, KRK stuff isn't even mentioned. JBL, Mackie, Altec Lansing, Wharfedale, B&W, KEF -- but never KRK.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidestrelinha View Post
So what I see is that in terms of sound, there are not big differences between the two models. If u told me that in V8s4 i can get a better mix, mids more clear and less distortion than rokit8g4 i would go for it. Thanks again Rich.
Me personally, I like the V Series a bit more. I have had professionals a/b them and it is a pretty even split just in terms of sound. There are things you cannot measure, like timbre, that pull ears in different directions. But, yes, very close in terms of sound and vibe.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
Protection against flying beer bottles and stiletto heels, I guess.
Ha!! I hear that a lot. But you cannot shoot them.

Kevlar is very rigid and very light. There is no paper backing. When sound goes through Kevlar you do not get any "reverb" and the waves are spread out on the surface of the cone more evenly. There is a lot of info out there comparing materials. The history with KRK is that after B&W patent on using Kevlar in a speaker expired, Keith from KRK started using it in his early designs. There have been other materials but all the KRKs that stand out have some or all Kevlar in their construction. It is about sound first, but now, it is our "thing".

A lot of companies are using glass aramid like the older Rokits, so to stand apart and to make the new G4 be a serious step up in sound, I started with the premise that I wanted real Kevlar and did everything possible to reduce costs with technology to keep them affordable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Thank you for responding about Rokit 7 vs V6!

I had when I wrote my original post and then again when I wrote the second post in thread saying they’re still good. Change of opinion but I still think they’re warm.

Rokit 5 G4 is good stuff. Tightest budget monitor. No hiss or weird power handling. Rokit 8, I need to hear in a better room but it sounded more scooped. Better in every way than JBL 308 and Mackie 824 and extended much lower than Yamaha HS8.

Will Rokit 10 gen 4 get much louder than the gen 3?
They are about the same SPL. But, with the matching drivers with Kevlar cones and DSP, the sweep is much flatter. They are punchier and they go down to 26hZ where the old G3 only goes to 31hZ. I was using a track at NAMM called Sicko Mode by Travis Scott. When Mike Dean (who is a long time KRK user who I am getting to know) mixed it, there is some sub stuff that is hitting differently than the bass stuff and it creates a cool groove down there. You can hear it on the 8 a bit but the 10-3 really showcases it. Because of the extension they have.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
In my circle of audio engineers, KRK stuff isn't even mentioned. JBL, Mackie, Altec Lansing, Wharfedale, B&W, KEF -- but never KRK.
Totally agree. That was my experience before I came here. Allow me to humbly share my story.

When I came to interview with KRK in 2014, I was looking for a part time gig. I had left Line 6, where I was a product manager for a bunch of products, to just be a full time mix engineer. It was going great but I wanted to find a part time gig to maybe get medical coverage and a few dollars so I could say no when an artist would send me their tracks and ask to sound like "old Al Green" and I would think, well, you have to sing and record like Al.

While I was interviewing, I told them that I did not even know KRK was still around. I came up in and around studios from 86 on. I saw KRK and used KRK everywhere. They looked at me like, who is this guy? I could tell, so I told them that about a year before the interview, I wanted to step up my monitoring at my studio and went on a monitor hunt to replace my Genelec 1029s that I had been using for 15 years. I called my pro major producer/engineer friends to see what I should look at. No one told me to check out KRK. (Because of a monster producer, I didn't upgrade, I loved my setup and people paid me to mix and would come back, so I was over it and gonna grow old using my 1029s) I asked them if that was their problem or mine. They realized it was theirs. I said, if you hire me, it will become my problem to solve. They asked if I had seen the Rokits anywhere, I honestly had not. It is almost unbelievable that I hadn't seen them, they are everywhere.

Well, we worked it out and I got the gig. So I started listen to all the legacy KRKs and realized that KRK had kinda walked away from their sound that the pro guys loved when they brought to market the VXT and E8B lines. They are very good monitors but they did not have the KRK "sound" like the 9000s, 7000s, V8 Series 1, V6 Series 2 or E8/E8t. As I talked with the guys who use/used these and loved them, I found that they did not like where the high end stuff went and we were losing our guys to other brands. But, the Rokits were birthed from that KRK "sound" and they were affordable and it took off. We have been number 1 in that price bracket for years because of it. I figured out that if we just kept refreshing Rokit and we did not develop the high end lines again, we would not be able to defend Rokits market.

So, as I was listening to all the various monitors, I thought, "Well, I guess I need to listen to these entry level Rokits." So I put up a pair of Rokit 5 G3s and hit play and was freaked out immediately. They were "talking" to me like no monitor in the 1-4 thousand range had on my monitor hunt. I thought, oh man, I cannot drink the Koolaid. (Honestly, I don't drink it, ever.) But I was floored. I then saw that Jacquire King used them since the big Kings of Leon record forward. I knew I could not make monitors for only Jacquire and me going forward. As a product manager, you have to hit the biggest audience possible. So I started inviting major guys over to the shop and I made a trip to Nashville and hit a bunch of places to see what people thought of the Rokit 5. Across the board, there was a lot of disbelief and swearing because people were as shocked as I was. Then Dave Jerden came to the shop with his unmastered Alice in Chains' Dirt mixes and after 4 months of this, I finally took a pair home and took down my 1029s and as I sat listening and then mixing, I got a bit mad that I had not discovered them earlier like Jacquire and others had.

So, to sum up, I figured out that KRK was gigantic and the Rokits were very good but KRK had left the artist behind. Also, when someone loved Rokit and wanted to up their game and headroom, I heard many stories about how they would go and listen to the VXT and not get that same KRK feeling and we started losing our guys to the competition. So my goal with V Series 4 was to get the artists back and have a path for the Rokit user to move up. That has gone very very well. Honestly, beyond my hopes.

So, when I came to do G4, I started with wanting them to be a real step up but still affordable and birthed them from V Series 4 so they have a family sound.

And up next we are working on bringing back the Expose line of premium monitors. Like the Acura NSX. Honda makes their money on the Civic but they gain prestige with the NSX and all they learn doing the high end car, gets to trickle down to the Civic and you end up with stoked customers that are proud to own a Honda.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrenken View Post
Me personally, I like the V Series a bit more. I have had professionals a/b them and it is a pretty even split just in terms of sound. There are things you cannot measure, like timbre, that pull ears in different directions. But, yes, very close in terms of sound and vibe.
Rich, due to the fact I produce EDM and I want upgrade my rokit 6 I think a 8woofer would be a good option but I have a question.
What’s the distance I should stay away from the V8 monitors? I have my monitors on my desk with iso acoustics stands but these v8 are too big and I’m afraid to became so close of them. Might it be a problem? Ps: I repeat that my studio has 5meters length and 2,5m width.
Thanks for your time!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidestrelinha View Post
Rich, due to the fact I produce EDM and I want upgrade my rokit 6 I think a 8woofer would be a good option but I have a question.
What’s the distance I should stay away from the V8 monitors? I have my monitors on my desk with iso acoustics stands but these v8 are too big and I’m afraid to became so close of them. Might it be a problem? Ps: I repeat that my studio has 5meters length and 2,5m width.
Thanks for your time!
If you can be back about a meter, you should be good. I have a few guys using them that sit pretty close.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am looking at getting the Gen4 7 or 8 pair with the 10s sub and aside from the 36Hz freq response on the 8 what other benefits does it offer above the 7?This will be used to playback music and even some PC gaming. No mixing or audio production work will be done on this set.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl088 View Post
I am looking at getting the Gen4 7 or 8 pair with the 10s sub and aside from the 36Hz freq response on the 8 what other benefits does it offer above the 7?This will be used to playback music and even some PC gaming. No mixing or audio production work will be done on this set.
If you are getting the 10s sub and you are using them to just listen to music and some gaming, I would go for the 7s and a sub. What kind of music will you be listening to?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you are getting the 10s sub and you are using them to just listen to music and some gaming, I would go for the 7s and a sub. What kind of music will you be listening to?
Any specific reason why the 7s aside from cost and space saving?

I listen to a wide variety of main stream music from the 90's all the way to present that includes some pop,alternative,light rock.

I will also use it for gaming that is why I considered the sub.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Any specific reason why the 7s aside from cost and space saving?

I listen to a wide variety of main stream music from the 90's all the way to present that includes some pop,alternative,light rock.

I will also use it for gaming that is why I considered the sub.
Most of the guys that I worked with on the V Series 4 and G4 that do rock, pop, alternative landed on the V6 or RP7. There is something "tighter" with a 6.5" driver for these genres. The 7s get loud. With the sub, you will have good bottom extension.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Most of the guys that I worked with on the V Series 4 and G4 that do rock, pop, alternative landed on the V6 or RP7. There is something "tighter" with a 6.5" driver for these genres. The 7s get loud. With the sub, you will have good bottom extension.
Ive also read a similar feedback about getting the smaller driver due to the "tigther/faster" driver response. 7s it is then
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Ive also read a similar feedback about getting the smaller driver due to the "tigther/faster" driver response. 7s it is then
I mostly do rock/pop/old school R&B in my pro mixing career. I do it part time now. I loved the V8s I beta tested and did great mixes on but when I tried the V6, that did it for me for what I do.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I mostly do rock/pop/old school R&B in my pro mixing career. I do it part time now. I loved the V8s I beta tested and did great mixes on but when I tried the V6, that did it for me for what I do.
Hello Rich, i'm newbie and my english is not good. i've just orderd 1 pair of krk 7g4 from amazon.

Can you please tell me

1/ The different between Krk 5g4 vs Krk 7g4 ? my room was 16 meters square.

2/ What is the best way to connect Krk 7g4 to my scarlett 2i2 ?
(2x TRS to TRS or 2x XRL to TRS) ?

3/ Is this a good cable brand ?

Hosa HSS-001.5 REAN 1/4" TRS to REAN 1/4" TRS Pro Balanced Interconnect, 1.5 feet.

Thank you very much
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbape3110 View Post
Hello Rich, i'm newbie and my english is not good. i've just orderd 1 pair of krk 7g4 from amazon.

Can you please tell me

1/ The different between Krk 5g4 vs Krk 7g4 ? my room was 16 meters square.

2/ What is the best way to connect Krk 7g4 to my scarlett 2i2 ?
(2x TRS to TRS or 2x XRL to TRS) ?

3/ Is this a good cable brand ?

Hosa HSS-001.5 REAN 1/4" TRS to REAN 1/4" TRS Pro Balanced Interconnect, 1.5 feet.

Thank you very much
Super cool. The 5s are great. But the 7s are going to have way more headroom. They are 145 watts compared to the 5s that are 55 watts. Because of that the 7s are 6dB louder which is about twice as loud. You probably won't be cranking them but that extra loudness keeps you totally away from the limiter so your mixes will feel more open as you are working. I hope that makes sense.

Either cable will work just fine.

I am one of the crazy guys who pays too much for cables, so I am not sure. Hosa is a good brand and a quick search shows that they have pretty good reviews, so it seem that they will work for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search