The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice on live sound for synth/drum machine setup Mixers (Analog)
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

Advice on live sound for synth/drum machine setup

Hi friends,

I play in a synthy post-punk band where we use synths, a drum machine (I use Maschine), a guitar, bass, and two vocals. Because I do not fully trust FOH sound techs (at least those I do not know), I have been bringing our own small behringer mixer live and sending the synths and drum machine to the behringer. From there I send the mixer signal to a DI for the FOH the sound board. The FOH engineer then mixes the two vocals, guitar and bass themselves, and sends us monitors.

We did have a pretty horrible show though where there was something wrong with FOH where the synth/drums were cutting out constantly. We ended cutting our set short after 5 minutes of playing, which was very very disappointing. The tech did say that he is certain that there was something wrong with his setup, suspecting it was the DI box or something like that.

Any advice on how I can reduce the likelihood of this happening? Any way I could improve this setup to ensure things sound good?
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Get your own DI box(es)?!
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Get your own DI box(es)?!
Is there a massive gain from doing this versus getting a different mixer with an XLR out?

I have a behringer xenyx right now which I know a lot of people do not like. Would it make more sense to upgrade to something like a soundcraft signature 10 instead of getting a DI box?
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curator View Post
Is there a massive gain from doing this versus getting a different mixer with an XLR out?

I have a behringer xenyx right now which I know a lot of people do not like. Would it make more sense to upgrade to something like a soundcraft signature 10 instead of getting a DI box?
Do you know what a DI box does?
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

When I did this I premixed our electronic parts into a basic mixer and fed that into a couple DI boxes for the FOH. Can confirm that this is the way to do it for simplicity/ruling out whatever deficiencies of the house sound.
Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
Do you know what a DI box does?
To change an unbalanced signal to a balanced one right? Is my setup not appropriate for that?

To be clear, what I was implying with using a mxer with an XLR out rather than the Behringer I now use is that the Behringer just sends out an unbalanced signal which needs to go through a DI. Using a mixer with an XLR out should help in producing a balanced signal. Am I wrong in this assertion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
When I did this I premixed our electronic parts into a basic mixer and fed that into a couple DI boxes for the FOH. Can confirm that this is the way to do it for simplicity/ruling out whatever deficiencies of the house sound.
Got it. So basically bringing in my own DI boxes are the way to go then. Any recs on affordable ones?
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
To change an unbalanced signal to a balanced one right? Is my setup not appropriate for that?

To be clear, what I was implying with using a mxer with an XLR out rather than the Behringer I now use is that the Behringer just sends out an unbalanced signal which needs to go through a DI. Using a mixer with an XLR out should help in producing a balanced signal. Am I wrong in this assertion?

Got it. So basically bringing in my own DI boxes are the way to go then. Any recs on affordable ones?
In the context of live sound in presumedly a bar, I see no reason to go for anything fancier than a couple basic passive DIs. Parts Express, Monoprice, etc sell some really cheap passive DIs...I own a couple, they get the job done. You could spend a lot more to get something fancier, but doubt anyone would appreciate the difference over a PA.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

Just acquaint yourself with levels: line level vs. microphone level. This is significant when using DI's.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search