The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Interfaces? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

Audio Interfaces?

Hi there, I am looking to get into making recordings of my electro-acoustic guitar but I am unsure of which audio interface to go with. I have managed to narrow it down to the following two:
  • Behringer UMC204HD
  • Steinberg UR22mkii

The Steinberg is £25 more expensive than the Behringer and from what I can see, it has less features than the Behringer. I have never recorded an instrument before so I am not entirely sure of what will be suitable for my guitar. I mainly fingerstyle guitar, but I also play some rhythm guitar, if that's relevant. Initially I would like to connect directly to the AI but in the future I will probably use a microphone. I currently run Windows 10 and I have no plans of changing, so I need an AI that can run stabily on Windows 10.

I have heard that Behringer don't make the greatest quality products and I am unsure of whether that is still true or not, I see that the Behringer has a three year warranty whereas the Steinberg only has a one year warranty, which company has the best customer service?

I have no plans to purchase additional software to use with these AIs as I am a bit tight on money. So preferably I would like the AI to come with decent software for recording.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I am also open to other suggestions tha are within a similar price range and have at least two inputs.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Do a forum search. Interfaces are discussed here almost continually.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERR View Post
Hi there, I am looking to get into making recordings of my electro-acoustic guitar but I am unsure of which audio interface to go with. I have managed to narrow it down to the following two:
  • Behringer UMC204HD
  • Steinberg UR22mkii

The Steinberg is £25 more expensive than the Behringer and from what I can see, it has less features than the Behringer. I have never recorded an instrument before so I am not entirely sure of what will be suitable for my guitar. I mainly fingerstyle guitar, but I also play some rhythm guitar, if that's relevant. Initially I would like to connect directly to the AI but in the future I will probably use a microphone. I currently run Windows 10 and I have no plans of changing, so I need an AI that can run stabily on Windows 10.

I have heard that Behringer don't make the greatest quality products and I am unsure of whether that is still true or not, I see that the Behringer has a three year warranty whereas the Steinberg only has a one year warranty, which company has the best customer service?

I have no plans to purchase additional software to use with these AIs as I am a bit tight on money. So preferably I would like the AI to come with decent software for recording.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I am also open to other suggestions tha are within a similar price range and have at least two inputs.
The Steinberg is fine, and comes with Cubase software for recording and mixing.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac
The UR22 does come with Cubase AI - which has VST and track limits - if money is really tight I'd be happy with the Behringer and Tracktion 6 - a perfectly good free VST supporting DAW. That plus a copy of Computer Music magazine (£6) and you'll have a decent set of plugins to get started. There so much great freeware out there - there's no need to spend big money to get your foot in the DAW.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERR View Post
I have heard that Behringer don't make the greatest quality products and I am unsure of whether that is still true or not
Not. IMO you would be fine with either. And as stated above there is plenty of free AND good software out there to serve your needs. Depending on how basic your needs are, try Audacity for recording. Very basic but very easy to use. And do an internet search on free DAWs, free plugins etc. Test drive things, it's the only way to know what works for you, vs what any of us thinks is best.
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
The Steinberg is fine, and comes with Cubase software for recording and mixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
The UR22 does come with Cubase AI - which has VST and track limits - if money is really tight I'd be happy with the Behringer and Tracktion 6 - a perfectly good free VST supporting DAW. That plus a copy of Computer Music magazine (£6) and you'll have a decent set of plugins to get started. There so much great freeware out there - there's no need to spend big money to get your foot in the DAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Not. IMO you would be fine with either. And as stated above there is plenty of free AND good software out there to serve your needs. Depending on how basic your needs are, try Audacity for recording. Very basic but very easy to use. And do an internet search on free DAWs, free plugins etc. Test drive things, it's the only way to know what works for you, vs what any of us thinks is best.
Is it worth spending more money on something like an Audient ID14 or NI Komplete Audio 6 or even a Presonus 24c/26 (because it comes with Studio One). Or would I see more benefit from just spending the money on a decent microphone? Also are there any issues with the drivers on Windows 10 with any of these audio interfaces?

I realised that I will also be listening to audio through the audio interface, and not just recording audio. Would there be a major difference in the sound quality between these AIs or any major difference in the type of headphones they can power?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Addict

For someone who's just starting out, I wouldn't worry too much about audible differences between interfaces or DAWs. They're all pretty competent and relatively similar until you start spending a lot more money.

Sonically, the big factors will be the actual sound of the instrument, the room acoustics, mic choice, mic placement, all the choices you make with EQ, mixing, etc, and then at the very end of the list, the sound of the interface and DAW.

I'd recommend trying demo versions of the DAWs you're considering. I tried a few paid ones and several free ones that never really felt comfortable or natural for me as far as user interface and workflow. Then I tried Studio One, and it just clicked almost instantly. For some reason, the UI and workflow just make more sense to me. I'm not saying that it's the best DAW for anyone else - just saying that a natural workflow that lets you focus on music and audio instead of getting hung up on software is really valuable, so you should try out demo versions of anything you can and see what works best for you.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

What Eb said.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search