The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap thunderbolt Condenser Microphones
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Head
Cheap thunderbolt

HI guys, I just picked up a thunderbolt audio interface for only $100. Its by resident audio, whom I've never heard of and they have limited reviews online. Obviously my expectations are pretty low but I wanted something to get me by until I can pick up an Apollo or something decent. I considered the presonus firewire/thunderbolt device but I don't want to deal with the adapter BS.
I'll keep everyone posted but if anyone has experience with these please post.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russfar View Post
HI guys, I just picked up a thunderbolt audio interface for only $100. Its by resident audio, whom I've never heard of and they have limited reviews online. Obviously my expectations are pretty low but I wanted something to get me by until I can pick up an Apollo or something decent. I considered the presonus firewire/thunderbolt device but I don't want to deal with the adapter BS.
I'll keep everyone posted but if anyone has experience with these please post.
Yeah let us know how it goes. I saw a slightly more expensive interface by them at guitar center online. The S/N I think, and some other specs seemed a little low to me, but the features/$ specs looked good. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about sound and function.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Yeah let us know how it goes. I saw a slightly more expensive interface by them at guitar center online. The S/N I think, and some other specs seemed a little low to me, but the features/$ specs looked good. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about sound and function.
Honestly the build isn't bad: brushed aluminum on the sides and even metal outer knobs. The plastic is high grade and feels like cell phone plexiglass. The lights are the type that glow around the actual knob and change color with peak and volume.
The latency is super low less tax 2 ms and less than 3 round trip at 128 samples.

Now for the cons: the sound quality isn't as good as my Presonus fiirestudio but not terrible by any means. Seems like it adds a tiny bit of mid low range boost. That nasal frequency that Im always EQing out os male voices. Its nothing that EQing can't handle. Audio playback seems fine. Im playing Spotify on high quality playback (premium feature) and I can hear tiny detail, clarity and stereo imaging is good.
Also the volume knob controls the headphone and main out volumes simultaneously and that is annoying. There is a mix knob for monitoring that is very convenient for recording. The phantom power button controls both inputs which was a pain when I was recording my bluebird and 57 together. Preamps are MEH (****e) and the output level is less than the stock headphone out of my i7 Mac.

Overall I would give this unit a 3.8 out of 5 stars as a unit and 4.5 out of 5 for value. If the other units went a thousand plus dollars it would be different but it seems to be this or an Apollo. Zoom has one that looks terrible for $300.

I may just make a youtube review vid soon bc there isn't much on these units which aren not bad.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Head

I typed out a reply to this thread when it was fresh, but then ran into a posting error and was too lazy to repost, but now, here we go again haha

I have the T4 model. I agree with your assessment. It was cheap though, super easy to use, and completely hassle free.

I've come from older focusrite saffire tier interfaces and definitely noticed a sonic improvement. It certainly handles my hybrid mixing I/O needs far better. The low latency is no joke, and being bus powered at that...what more could I ask for at $250.

TheY were promoting higher end models and I was really looking forward to the T10 but it never happened. As a company, Resident Audio seemed to disappear as quickly as they arrived. Not really sure what's going on there.

I'm curious as to whether or not I can get a second T4 and aggregate the 2 units into an 8 I/O routing option.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Thanks for the insight. I may pick up a T4 unit now that you mention the company may be a ghost soon. Keep us posted if you are able to link up 2 T$ units.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search