The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Problems with White Noise with Aston Origin? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Problems with White Noise with Aston Origin?

I purchased a brand new Aston Origin about a month ago and noticed white noise as soon as I plugged my mic into my Focusrite solo audio interface. I sent it back thinking that it was a faulty mic and received a new one a couple days ago. Well, I am still having the same issue and I'm concerned with what the problem may be. I have my gain set at a quarter of the way and still hear it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12th April 2019
Do you have any similar noise with any other mics you have? Any other cables? Have you been through that kind of troubleshooting process to eliminate any other faults?
Does that noise get captured when you record with the mic? Because if it doesn't then it might be a monitoring issue.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Head
When I had this mic, I never had any noise issue. It's a quiet mic. Once you are done with checking everything listed in the above post, send an email to Aston describing your issue. They will happily assist you, telling from my personal experience.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict
Check if it's your cable or interface by using another mic if you have them. The self noise of the mic is only 18 dBA so it shouldn't be too loud by itself.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Nut

by any chance, did you maybe forget to turn on the 48V phantom power?!

I could imagine that without that, you might still get SOME signal from the mic but of course without the phantom power it won´t work properly and the gain might just increase any noise floor resulting from that so you get that white noise you´re hearing...

just a random thought, worth checking I guess.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosapien View Post
by any chance, did you maybe forget to turn on the 48V phantom power?!

I could imagine that without that, you might still get SOME signal from the mic but of course without the phantom power it won´t work properly and the gain might just increase any noise floor resulting from that so you get that white noise you´re hearing...

just a random thought, worth checking I guess.
They might not be getting enough voltage. OP if you have a multimeter measure how much phantom power and current your interface provides.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

How quiet is the room? You may not realize how noisy it is.. moving air, PC noise, fans etc. Could be picking up this accurately
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search