The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Me Hybrid! Audio Interfaces
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Head

Help Me Hybrid!

Hello all. I just acquired an Allen and Heath GL3300 32 channel mixer. It's super clean and I'm super stoked. Now, I just need to get audio to and from it to Logic. I currently have an Apollo twin and a focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. My plan is to use the Focusrite out and the Apollo in.

My question is, what are the best cheap ADAT options to expand my outputs and inputs? I would like 8 into the Apollo (from the mixer busses) and 16 additional outs from the Focusrite. So, I'm guessing I'll need 3 units.

I'm open to other methods too, just keep in mind I want to do this on the cheap. This is really an experiment at this point to dip my toes into hybrid mixing.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Head
Are you working with a Mac? I assume so becausr you're talking about using two interfaces at once, which presumably is an aggregate device situation.

Cheapest/experimental ad/da converters has one answer only- the Behringer ADA8000/8200.

If you decide you like it, old Apogee AD/DA16x units can be found for around $550-600 used.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

yes, the behringer adat is the cheapest option out there. most people are ok with the quality, especially if you just wanna get line level into it or out of it. could also look for an rme octomic as they do show up on the used market quite a bit and the quality is great. nice clean preamps and they can work in standalone mode. if you were starting from scratch i would have suggested the rme digiface usb and add octomics as much as you need, up to 32 channels.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Head

I found an older Creamware A16 on Craigslist for 50 bucks. 16 ADAT in and out, so I feel like I scored. I have it hooked to the Focusrite - giving me 26 channels out to the mixer. I'm returning a stereo pair to my apollo. So far so good - but boy it is a completely different way of working. My initial tests are positive and I like the sound I'm getting through the mixer (A&H GL3300)
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Head
Glad you're liking it. I made the switch about two years ago and found it to be giving me what I wanted to hear faster (I'm using a Ramsa WRS-4424 console so nothing super high end either). Just remember there's nothing that says you can't do The exact same processing on the software side before it goes out to the board. If you really want to take the next step, start scouting around for a good SSL style bus compressor to put on the 2 bus insert. That was the definitive "AHa" moment for me.

I'll go ahead and throw out a few sleeper suggestions for budget-minded compressors that are well regarded.

1. Behringer MDX2100 composer. They settled out of court with Drawmer for stealing the design of the DL241- they are knob for knob and switch for switch the exact same, and real hard to tell apart. $40-60 used

2. Ashly SC-50/CL-50/CL-51- used a pair of the SC-50s on my guitar bus for 2 years, the limiter portion is a perfect match with a slower attack- note they're single channel but can be linked. $100-200 used.

3. Symetrix CL150/501/525- Symetrix stuff was built for live use but who cares- the auto release option on these is great for bass guitar as it stops the low frequencies from pumping- $80-$160 used.

4. DBX 166a- sounds as good as any other dbx, with overeasy compression available and two channels to boot. $50-$100 used.

5. FMR Audio RNLA-. The RNC gets all the glory, but my experience is theres not much to it that plugins can't do. This little 1/3 rack box has plenty of mojo to it. The one I originally bought is long gone, but I've got a pair of RNLA 500s, one for mono room mics and one for bass guitar. $150-200

Old 15th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id10t3qu3 View Post
Glad you're liking it. I made the switch about two years ago and found it to be giving me what I wanted to hear faster (I'm using a Ramsa WRS-4424 console so nothing super high end either). Just remember there's nothing that says you can't do The exact same processing on the software side before it goes out to the board. If you really want to take the next step, start scouting around for a good SSL style bus compressor to put on the 2 bus insert. That was the definitive "AHa" moment for me.

I'll go ahead and throw out a few sleeper suggestions for budget-minded compressors that are well regarded.

1. Behringer MDX2100 composer. They settled out of court with Drawmer for stealing the design of the DL241- they are knob for knob and switch for switch the exact same, and real hard to tell apart. $40-60 used

2. Ashly SC-50/CL-50/CL-51- used a pair of the SC-50s on my guitar bus for 2 years, the limiter portion is a perfect match with a slower attack- note they're single channel but can be linked. $100-200 used.

3. Symetrix CL150/501/525- Symetrix stuff was built for live use but who cares- the auto release option on these is great for bass guitar as it stops the low frequencies from pumping- $80-$160 used.

4. DBX 166a- sounds as good as any other dbx, with overeasy compression available and two channels to boot. $50-$100 used.

5. FMR Audio RNLA-. The RNC gets all the glory, but my experience is theres not much to it that plugins can't do. This little 1/3 rack box has plenty of mojo to it. The one I originally bought is long gone, but I've got a pair of RNLA 500s, one for mono room mics and one for bass guitar. $150-200

Thanks for all that great info! I have been shopping compressors and reverb. Picking up a quadraverb 2 today cheap. I will use it very lightly here and there. Couple of questions for you:

1) Are you mostly sending busses from your daw to the mixer? ie - sending drum bus to 2 channels, guitar bus, etc I was thinking of doing mostly this with the exception of maybe sending the kick & bass to their own channels.

3) Do you do a lot of eqing on the board, or do you mostly handle that itb? Little of both?

2) What did you pick up for a bus compressor. I did a little googling and they get pricey
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Head
With 24 channels, I run:
1. Kick
2. Snare
3/4. Tom's
5/6. Overheads
7. Mono room
8. Bass
9/10; 11/12; 13/14. Guitars, usually acoustics, clean, distorted
15/16. Piano
17/18; 19/20. Synths
21. Lead Vocal
22. Lead Vocal
23/24. Backing vocals.

I use the aux returns for reverbs and parallel compression, the aux sends for heqdphones, and run the drums to bus 1/2 with a compressor on the insert.

This is entirely subjective- I know some people would rather just do stereo busses 1-16 and use the other 8 channels for aux returns, but I have enough outboard eqs and filters to tame the effects sends.

You could also do straight stereo stems, eg 1-2 drums, 3-4 parallel drums, 5-6 bass... I just like being able to play with the stereo panning on the console and like the mono channels.

As for EQ- depending on how robust the A&H EQ is, you may find it better at some things than others. Surgical subtractive eqing is almost always better done digitally, and so I notch guitars and other nasty resonant frequencies in the box- boosting frequencies sounds better to my ears on the console. Experiment- youve got channels and channels of EQ to play with- load up a mix you've done in the box, and try bypassing the digital EQ and doing it on the board, then try engaging it again and using the board's EQ to add some larger brush strokes. Ultimately, I've found I do a lot less EQ in the box, but you may be different.

For buss compression... I know that chameleon labs does an SSL style clone that can be had sub $500. Depending on what your budget is, that may be a good place to start. If you can't find one, I do have a GSSL that was a kit built as a one-off by a pretty well known technician (aka has his own company that's regarded favorably around here). I've been moving more towards 500 series gear and would be willing to pass it along for around the $500 mark, give or take. Shoot me a message if you want details- it sat on my mixbus until I got an SB4001.
Old 16th April 2019
You could try the Ferrofish Pulse 16 for a grand.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Neo, may I ask what your cable hookups and routing are? I have a 48 channel GL3800 and I'm having some volume issues when mixing OTB.
My setup as of now:
Direct outs on each channel to inputs of Presonus 1818vsl and Digimax.
Outs of the Presonus gear to the line level inputs of the GL3800.
In Logic I run the I/O on each channel within Logic and it's all properly routed.

I guess I need to play with the I/O gain some more but I was wondering what your setup was.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search