The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AT4050 or Neumann TLM 102 or other? Condenser Microphones
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict

AT4050 or Neumann TLM 102 or other?

I've asked about mics here before but at the time didn't really know what I was looking for or how to properly describe my voice. So yeah, I should make that clear, I'm just looking for a vocal mic, and it's just for my voice. I'm roughly a tenor, and one thing I've noticed with cheap mics is that when I sing a bit higher or with more power the upper mid frequencies are very unpleasant and I get a fair bit of sibilance. Although the sibilance is annoying I have ways to take care of that, but i struggle with the harshness of the upper mid frequencies, and so far the only things that have helped a fair bit is a Tube Tech compressor and dynamic EQ. The dynamic EQ does a great job but also kinda give a but of a funky sound no matter how much I mess with it. Anyways, I'm looking for something that wont require as much work in post. Both of those mics are kinda pushing my budget. I mean, they're within, but really the max I want to put out. I'm leaning towards the Neumann, but this is just based on reviews, shootouts, and of course the Neumann name. But it's not just the name, I prefer it's sound over the TLM 103 on most things and that's more expensive. Anyways the reason I was thinking about the AT4050 is because it has other polar patterns and I heard (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THIS IS WRONG) recording in omni can be very beneficial for tenors that often sound harsh. If this is true, I was also considering a much cheaper mic that I've heard a lot about too. Wondering what anyone thinks of the Aston Spirit? I hear it's phenomenal for the price, but once again, emphasis on "for the price". I wonder if it can make keep up with many professional mics, or if it's just a lot better than most mics at that price. Would be nice to lower the cost, but ultimately I want a better sound. I've reached the point where I want to start upgrading my gear, and I've now moved onto the UAD platform, so I better have a mic that keeps up rather than some $100 Sure microphone... One thing is for sure, I've definitely decided against dynamics. i want a condenser. if you think you have a better recommendation, let me know, otherwise which do you think is the better mic for my situation. I'm just a "bedroom producer" so I'm not doing any fancy micing. I literally only record my vocals with a mic, so i don't necessarily need other polar patterns unless it is true that omni is good to deal with harshness. Thanks in advance
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict

I should add that I'm not in a treated room. The floor is all carpet and there's a big bed, so it's not all echoey but it's not a "nice" sounding room. So if omni is going to pick up a crazy amount of sound, that might not be good.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict
Any pattern will pick up reflections. Unless you have a mic with some crazy narrow pattern, but I don't think that's really a thing (even the "lobar" pattern a lot of shotgun mics claim to have is only at really high frequencies and then they're some weird version of super cardioid at 1 KHz).

For the mic I really like my Lewitt LCT 441 Flex, I don't know how it compares to an AT4050, or TLM 102, but I think it compares nicely to my sE Electronics T2.

As for omni helping, some mics have a flat omni pattern, and some have a big presence boost with omni. A presence boost won't be your friend if you find things already sound harsh.

I'd consider the 2 mics I mentioned, the T2 is is really flat, and the Lewitt does have a bit of presence and air boost (highest part is +4.1 dB @ 13 KHz). It actually doesn't sound too bright to my ears though.

Green plot is for the LCT 441 Flex, black is the AT4050.
Attached Thumbnails
AT4050 or Neumann TLM 102 or other?-screenshot_20190410-042408.jpg   AT4050 or Neumann TLM 102 or other?-screenshot_20190410-042427.jpg  

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 10th April 2019 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Nut
If you are recording in a less than stellar acoustic space, you could scarcely do better than a Shure SM-7b in tandem with a Cloudlifter or Triton Fethead. The SM-7 has the lovely ability of taking the room pretty much out of the equation. It sounds very good and takes processing nicely. Either of the two pre-preamps will give you lots of clean gain to play with, assuming you are just using anemic interface pres.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

I'm using a Universal Audio Apollo so I should be fine there. Can you EQ a the SM7b to have a lot of detail, or is just never gonna compare to a condenser in that regard?
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

AEA KU5A . Harshness, sibilance, and room reflections - not with that mic.
Buy nice, don't buy twice. Good luck.
(PS SM7b has a fairly wide cardioid pattern. It does pick up a lot of room sound. But it is not harsh or sibilant. Just sounds either a bit "dull", or "aggressive", depending upon the EQ switch setting used.)
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

I agree with edva. Out of the mics you mentioned, the 4050 is my choice. But in a less than ideal room, I'd go with the KU5A or N22. Even though the N22 is bidirectional, it's going to keep a lot of the room out because you're close miking (usually 3 to 4 inches away with that mic). I've not personally used the KU5A, but AEA doesn't make bad mics. I would suspect that the N22 is going to be a little more open sounding, but like I said, I've not used the other mic.
Another benefit to using ribbons is their natural attenuation of the top end is going to make them more forgiving for situations like yours.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

any other ribbon mics that are cheaper and not too far off from those two? i like the fact that they're more modern and have extended top end, but they're definitely out of my price range. $1000 CAD is the max I really want to put out, ideally I want to go cheaper, but if need be I'll spend a grand.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OolalavSuperfukk View Post
any other ribbon mics that are cheaper and not too far off from those two? i like the fact that they're more modern and have extended top end, but they're definitely out of my price range. $1000 CAD is the max I really want to put out, ideally I want to go cheaper, but if need be I'll spend a grand.
The N22 meets your max price point, right at $1000. Used its cheaper than that. It's an amazing mic!
The sE Voodoo VR2 is very nice, at about half the price. It's not as natural sounding as the AEA, but it's very nice.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Addict

oh ok. i must have found a bad listing then. i'll look more cuz i listened to the mic on youtube and it sounded great
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OolalavSuperfukk View Post
oh ok. i must have found a bad listing then. i'll look more cuz i listened to the mic on youtube and it sounded great
It does sound great! Probably the easiest mic I've ever worked with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search