The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Element 88 test/questions
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

Apogee Element 88 test/questions

Hi, i have 2 questions, maybe related to each other:
Im recalibrating my speakers (HS80M) with my Apogee Element 88..
I see and read in many sites/youtube etc some “profesionals” that insist on set the “master fader” or “master gain” at 0 or “unity gain” on the mixer/interface, and then, raise the level of the speakers until get the desired SPL/volume
The “problem” is when i set the Element 88 at 0 (all the way up) and the HS80M at minimun (all the way down) still sound pass thru (every song, sound from the computer)
So, i recalibrated in the “old” way i did it..
Setting the speakers at +4dbu and raise the master gain from the Element 88 until get the SPL/volume that i want..

It make me think that maybe Apogee over-amplify the output? Or the speakers really dont low the signal to “infinite”?

The 2nd question maybe answer the first option, Apogee over-amplify the signal:

Testing the beheavior of the Element 88 at higher sample rate (96 khz) i read this article and download the files. 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

(I dont want to debate that if 92 khz is better or worse..just testing)

He says that with high quality interfaces/mixers you must to hear completly silent, no noise, no weird artifacts etc
When i import the files in pro tools session (at 96 khz/ 24 bits obviously) its complely silence, but my instinct made me to raise the level all the way up, and in this way i heard artifacts, “ultrasonic” sounds etc...
But at normal mixing levels (77-83db) i dont hear any issues, nothing...

So the question is:
Apogee increase the level/headroom to avoid hearing this “errors” or is a normal beheavior? Because is imposible to work at that level that we can hear this annomalies, but the “errors/frequecies” are there...

Testing with headphones, the same..at normal levels completely silence, but if i crank the volume i can hear it...

So, maybe Apogee increase the headroom/level to avoid hearing this “issues”? Not issues at all? Its completely normal? What about the sound pass thru the speakers even they are completely without gain?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

I really cant understand what you're trying to do or how you're trying to do it.

It sounds like You are trying to set your monitors at the proper playback levels but you're completely clueless on how this should be done.

I suggest you download and read this book by Bob Katz on Audio Mastering. He has a chapter on calibrating your monitors and has defined the standard used in the industry. http://exellon.net/book/Mastering%20...te%28a4%29.pdf
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for your reply!

Maybe i didnt explain well, i know how to calibrate the speakers (not like Bob Katz, of course, because i dont have the perfect room/speakers etc) but i have it more or less calibrated

but the main questions is about the behavior of the Apogee Element about the “issues” at high sample rates, etc
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict

Think of the main out in the Apogee control app as your monitor volume control, since the Element interface lacks a hardware knob.
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Think of the main out in the Apogee control app as your monitor volume control, since the Element interface lacks a hardware knob.
Of course, in fact, the Apogee Control app, lets choose -10 or +4 dbu main output level...
So set +4dbu on the app and +4dbu at the speakers...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ kpqn I'm confused.

I just replaced my Babyface Pro (worked fine) with an Element 88, and even at +4dbu my pair of Yamaha HS8s (close enough to the HS80m) are super quiet out of the Main XLRs. I've got the gain staged properly at the instrument in, mix 1, and the right Main output. All levels seem to be at a mid-upper peak.

Tried in and out of Ableton, but no difference, HS8sall the way cranked and it's barely loud.

@ ApogeeDigital ?

Am I missing something inobvious? I shouldn't need a preamp into my amplified monitors, and there's no cuts or pads set on them. I'm a bit baffled. I'd think it was perhaps a defective cable if it wasn't both channels.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

@ chaosium

Hi, first of all, i change my setup...now I have an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (basically the “same” like the element 88 in quality, and software control) and I change the speakers too from hs80/Hs8 to MSP7 Studio
I haven’t any problem in volume... set both speakers at +4dbu and in the apogee control software, the main level knob at -45/-30 getting 70/83 dB of sound level (In my room...you know that every room is different)
So I think I don’t have any problem in volume...maybe in your case, I will try the same settings and check the sound level with a SPL meter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search