The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best digital mixer for recording and live use under $3000
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I’ve Been searching for a while but I can’t find anyone who has heard recordings through both of the consoles or the compact versions. I know that Allen and heath has good Pres but so does the Midas. Just wondering which has the best recording quality. Anyone hear anything around here?
Old 20th June 2019
Here for the gear

Definitely go for the M32.
We record Live with it as well as pre production.
I’m not fond of the Reverbs or delays, but the EQ, Filters and Dynamics are outstanding, and the Mic Pres are hot and quiet.

As a live mixer it’s not fair to claim it’s better than other mixers, I’ve only heard it on our Monolith Arrays, and a more portable RCF stack.
If you’re using it with QSC KW Series or other cheaper popular cabs it should sound good.
I just know our shows sound quality is is so full without being really loud.

We used a high end Toft mixer costing 3 times as much as the M32 and they were on par.
The Toft sure is a beautiful console though, all Analog. Thought it would sound better but it didn’t.
Maybe as a recording mixer but no difference live.

Go test them out and see for yourself.
But I personally can’t see how anything would really sound better.
Old 20th June 2019
Here for the gear

I've been using the Soundcraft UI24R. For under a grand you get 20 mic pres, and a 32 channel USB 3 interface. You can also record multi-track to a USB thumb drive. It's not near as flexible as Midas, but I think it just plain sounds better than the Mackie. Just my two cents.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vientos00 View Post
I’ve Been searching for a while but I can’t find anyone who has heard recordings through both of the consoles or the compact versions. I know that Allen and heath has good Pres but so does the Midas. Just wondering which has the best recording quality. Anyone hear anything around here?
QU-32 is $3,000 and the M32 $4,000. Thread title indicates a $3,000 price point.
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
QU-32 is $3,000 and the M32 $4,000. Thread title indicates a $3,000 price point.
I’m actually asking about the sound quality in recording situations because I decided to go with either the Midas mr18 or the A&H sb series. They are both much less than the 3000 but the point is that since the conversion and preamps are the same on the compact mixers as the full size mixers, finding out which full size mixer sounds better in a recording environment will help me make my decision. Anyone else here have any idea which ones conversion and preamps sound better when recording into DAW? At this point I’m almost sure that I’ll be picking up the Midas but if the A&H sounds better for recording into daw, i might reconsider. Will be making my purchase in two weeks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So Anyone have any experience with the new Presonus Series 3 Mixers ? I am highly thinking of getting the compact Studiolive 16 for my band. I very much like the cpability of recording a multitrack mix to SD card without having to drag a laptop around for that purpose only. I like all the mix outs it has, as all in the band is picky about their monitor mix, and our current 16ch analog powermixer simply dont have the amount of monitor sends for me to do what I really want. Only negative thing I can find about it is the input configuration, as the 8 first channels is dedicated Microphone inputs, wich leave only 1 single line in channel left, and 4 mic inputs unused. But it does just barely cover what we need in inputs, 3 vocal mics, Stereo electronic drums, 2x Keyboard Stereo, bass line out and guitar mic. But is there alternatives to Presonus in the same price range that is able to do multitrack recording without a Computer and at the same time rack mountable ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhansen View Post
So Anyone have any experience with the new Presonus Series 3 Mixers ? I am highly thinking of getting the compact Studiolive 16 for my band. I very much like the cpability of recording a multitrack mix to SD card without having to drag a laptop around for that purpose only. I like all the mix outs it has, as all in the band is picky about their monitor mix, and our current 16ch analog powermixer simply dont have the amount of monitor sends for me to do what I really want. Only negative thing I can find about it is the input configuration, as the 8 first channels is dedicated Microphone inputs, wich leave only 1 single line in channel left, and 4 mic inputs unused. But it does just barely cover what we need in inputs, 3 vocal mics, Stereo electronic drums, 2x Keyboard Stereo, bass line out and guitar mic. But is there alternatives to Presonus in the same price range that is able to do multitrack recording without a Computer and at the same time rack mountable ?
X32 rack or x32 producer with the x-live card.

The qsc TouchMix mixers can multitrack record direct to usb sticks , but they are not really rackmountable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The Behringer X32 is cheaper than the Presonus Studiolive 32SC, even with the live card added, but if anything its also even more annoyin when it do have 16 mic/line input instead of the SL's 8 mic+ 8 line inputs that Behringer have omitted the combi connectors and just put 16 XLR connectors in it. This makes me wonder what else Behringer has omitted other than the connectors to keep their product price down. Imo th Presonus has a much more clean design than the Behringer. I havn't checked the size, but looks like the Presonus have longer faders too. Guess it comes down to personal refferences. I DO like the fact that Presonus seemlessly integrates with Studio One too. Big plus in my book. I guess you can read that I aint particular fond of Behringer for past experience with their products I have read however that people say they have gotten their acts together with regards to the X32, so who knows
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
...This makes me wonder what else Behringer has omitted other than the connectors to keep their product price down. Imo th Presonus has a much more clean design than the Behringer. I havn't checked the size, but looks like the Presonus have longer faders too. Guess it comes down to personal refferences. .... I have read however that people say they have gotten their acts together with regards to the X32, so who knows
The X32 has been available for sale since the summer of 2012. If there are some suspicions about what's in there or not in there, the general negativity toward the brand would have highlighted it by now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
even more annoyin when it do have 16 mic/line input instead of the SL's 8 mic+ 8 line inputs that Behringer have omitted the combi connectors and just put 16 XLR connectors in it. This makes me wonder what else Behringer has omitted other than the connectors to keep their product price down.
How is using industry standard XLR connectors omitting things? Pure XLR connections are far more robust than combi jacks and XLR only is used on boards that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you want Combi Jacks they are available on the SD16 and SD8 stage boxes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tascam DM4800 or 3200
Yes, I’m selling one. A 4800.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
Tascam DM4800 or 3200
Yes, I’m selling one. A 4800.

Not to derail the thread, but your name and posts keep coming up as I'm researching DM4800s, and you've almost got me convinced I need one. If I may ask, what are you replacing your DM4800 with?

Any experience with Studiolive AI boards to compare the two? I currently have the chance to get either for about the same very attractive price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search