The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Joe Meek SC2 Versions 1.05 1.07 2.02 Differences
Old 24th May 2007
Joe Meek SC2 Versions 1.05 1.07 2.02 Differences

After scouring the internet for info on all the different versions of the Joe Meek SC2, I decided to post what little info I have. Some of this info was gathered off the internet and some from speaking with the tech department of PMI (Joe Meek USA Distributor). Any other input appreciated! I'll revise each model as the posts dictate.

Joe Meek SC2 1.05 Original
- No output gain knob
- Some were modified by US Distributor for output gain knob

Joe Meek SC2 1.07
- single factory output gain knob mounted on rear (note: some early versions didn't have an output knob)
- users complained the output made the compressor harsh
- the transient attack wasn't the same as the original 1.05
- PMI does a mod to make this sound more like a 1.05
- not as percussive as the 1.05 versions

Joe Meek SC2 1.10
- single factory output gain knob mounted on rear
- looks identical to 1.07

Joe Meek SC2 1.05 - Front Dual Gain Knob Version
- Two small output gain knobs mounted on on front left side of unit. Controlled left/right output respectively
- This model was created in response to the 1.07 complaints
- Oddly enough, this came out AFTER the 1.07 (yes, you heard me right)
- The Internal Gain/Slope circuit board is labeled Version 1.07 Reissued 1998 (On my model anyway)

Joe Meek SC2 2.02
- No Info
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear
so there are TWO 1.05 versions, one is original, one is in answer to problems with the 1.07 version? I'm confused!

would be good to know more about this stuff, but that's an intriguing start to a thread anyway. If you get more info I'd love to hear more about it. Probably emailing the company itself would be a good start!

Cheers,
Don
Old 24th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackstudios View Post
Joe Meek SC2 1.05 Original
- No output gain knob
This is the one with the original transformers and probably my favorite sounding of the bunch.

Also because of the lack of makeup gain a little noisy.

A true stereo comp.
Old 24th May 2007
i guess this would be called a reversion huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
so there are TWO 1.05 versions, one is original, one is in answer to problems with the 1.07 version? I'm confused!

would be good to know more about this stuff, but that's an intriguing start to a thread anyway. If you get more info I'd love to hear more about it. Probably emailing the company itself would be a good start!

Cheers,
Don
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, there was never any transformers on any of the Joemeek SC2's other than a low cost plate AC transformer to supply voltage to the rails...but they had nothing to do with the sound.

The original V1.05 had no make up gain. We cut this control into the traces to get it on, then we argued with Fletcher ElectroAcoustics to make it a feature, but it was never really a make up gain, which we asked for and were told no. All it was another volume pot. I still think the V1.05 was the best sounding unit of that time.

The pot on the rear appeared on the new V1.07, but the sound was different from the V1.05...basically because of some attacking issues. So there was some modifications done to get it to sound like the original V1.05, but that did not really work.

The SC2.2 was actually supposed to replace the SC2, but after we tested it, we would not accept it as an SC2 replacement, but suggested it be sold as the SC2.2 for a lower cost.

We eventually did the dual output gain knob on the V1.07 because the photo cells weakened over time and got out of alignment, so the L/R balance was off...not good... So our mod eventually was done at the factory on a permanent basis...but still no real make up gain, and this was then called the new V1.05 and claimed to be the same sound as the original, but it was not a real V1.05, nor did it sound like one.

So after Fletcher ElectroAcoustics went out of business and I bought Joemeek, we redesigned the entire line and did the things that should have been done long ago. We added features, improved the quality and added real make up gain.

Now, we do not offer a replacement SC2 yet...reason why is the new Mc2 sounds better than the old SC2...my opinion, and is only $300.00, but we will do a flagship compressor soon.

Now some like the new, some like the old...but I think we have more fans liking the versatility of the new units over the old ones. If you can find a real V1.05, that is the one to have, and they should be worth some money...if you can find them. I have two of them with two of the original half rack 2U VC1...known as the Bricks.... Those are the only old Joemeek units I still use, but do use my new ones in my ProTools rig....

Anyway, I am happy to answer any questions you may have,,,,
Old 24th May 2007
Alan,

Thanks for chiming in.

What are the sonic differences between the single knob gain 1.07 and the dual gain 1.05? If you were to stack them side by side, which would you choose and why?

Adam
Old 24th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Ok, there was never any transformers on any of the Joemeek SC2's other than a low cost plate AC transformer to supply voltage to the rails...but they had nothing to do with the sound.

T
AH,

I am pretty sure i had a version 1.05 with trannies on them. The same trannies i saw in the VC1 bricks that i got rid of as well. When the SC2 started going out of whack many years later your own guys told me it was un repairable because the trannies were not being made anymore and it would have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Maybe i was lucky?
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Now, we do not offer a replacement SC2 yet...reason why is the new Mc2 sounds better than the old SC2...my opinion, and is only $300.00, but we will do a flagship compressor soon.
Hi Alan, I'm glad I found this thread, and you in it, as I've been eyeing the newer MC2 on Ebay. But it seems like there's not much information out there about it, and the one seller seems kind of sketchy, and the Joemeek website is a bit "primitive"... So I wasn't sure if the MC2 was anything more than a flash in the pan. You're saying it is a currently-produced and currently-supported product? And you like it better than the original 1.05? How do they compare- how are they similar or different in tone/action?
Thanks very much for your help!
Old 5th June 2007
Here for the gear

To make things a little more confusing, I have a 1.07 with no output.
Old 5th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongomania View Post
Hi Alan, I'm glad I found this thread, and you in it, as I've been eyeing the newer MC2 on Ebay. But it seems like there's not much information out there about it, and the one seller seems kind of sketchy, and the Joemeek website is a bit "primitive"... So I wasn't sure if the MC2 was anything more than a flash in the pan. You're saying it is a currently-produced and currently-supported product? And you like it better than the original 1.05? How do they compare- how are they similar or different in tone/action?
Thanks very much for your help!
Well be sure the one on EBay is the new one and not the old one. The new one has the width control and gain make up. The old Mc2 did not have these features....I would not suggest the old one as a replacement.

The new ones have that great transient attack the old V1.05's did and more, but you can dial the old sound in by slowing the attack, and thickening up the sound by boosting the threshold(compression control knob)...Takes time to get it right, and the new ones are a bit tricky and need to be learned, but when you know the box, they are really way cool....

I like them more than the old V1.05 because of the width control as it makes my mixes really spatial and fat....

As always, this is my opinion and your mileage may vary...so take what I say for what its worth.
Old 5th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBT View Post
To make things a little more confusing, I have a 1.07 with no output.
No output control on the rear of the unit? Is there a round black plastic plug filler on the rear?

Maybe could be a very early unit that did not get the update....
Old 16th June 2007
Here for the gear

No plug on the back.
Old 16th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBT View Post
No plug on the back.
If this unit has no thick beveled edge on the face panel and no Sifam meter...it was an in between transition between the v1.05 and v1.07... Kind of a very small production run. If you have the SN#, let me know as I tracked all models by SN# and still have the list of them as to what they were, and who they were sold to... As long as it was bought in the USA. Any European sales was done by FEA in the UK.
Old 11th November 2007
Here for the gear

joemeek sc1

Hi everyone , i've got the opportunity to purchase a joemeek SC1 but can't find any info on the web.
Does anyone know anything about it?
How does it compare to latter models such as SC2 v1.05 , 1.07 etc....
Is it also a stereo comp?
cheers
Old 11th November 2007
DRC
Lives for gear
Is the compressor in the VC2 essentially a mono version of the original SC2?
Old 20th April 2008
Gear Head

Hay guys,

I've recently saw this almost new JoeMeek SC2 for sell on ebay uk, not bad

M&S
Old 13th July 2009
Gear Head

Hi!

I have SC2 version 2.02 and I like it a lot. I am just interested how does it differ from earlier versions and also from SC2.2 - if there is someone who knows...
Old 13th July 2009
try Ted Fletcher's forum... TFPRO • Index page - a word with the designer himself!
Old 13th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael View Post
Hi!

I have SC2 version 2.02 and I like it a lot. I am just interested how does it differ from earlier versions and also from SC2.2 - if there is someone who knows...

I have covered this before. The main difference is while it is similar to the SC2, it is laid out on one circuit board. The old SC2 was done on 2 boards with a ribbon jumper cable.

The SC2.2 was done to attempt to replicate the original V1.05 sound of the SC2...but this did not happen. So I suggested making this a separate model at a lower price. Features are really the same, but it just does not sound like the original SC2 V1.05 which was really quite thick.

Still, the SC2.2 was a good box. A one trick pony, but a good pony!
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The SC2.2 was done to attempt to replicate the original V1.05 sound of the SC2...but this did not happen. So I suggested making this a separate model at a lower price. Features are really the same, but it just does not sound like the original SC2 V1.05 which was really quite thick.
Alan, why do you think it was not possible to replicate the V1.05 sound of the SC2? This stuff can be quantified after all.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Alan, why do you think it was not possible to replicate the V1.05 sound of the SC2? This stuff can be quantified after all.
Michael,

While it can be quantified, I believe the difference of the single board vs. dual boards, trace thickness and other changes which contributed to a character change. Mind you it was close, but everyone had their opinions on which version they liked. I also heard a difference and to me, it was more in the way the transient attacked. More of a punchy sound to the original.

We have been thinking of re-creating the SC2 V1.05 in it's true original form, using the dual boards as it seems there are still a good amount of people who want this unit, as they are not easy to find. Those who do have them, seem to not sell them! The only other issue is the opto cell and those in the EU government who want to ban the use of Cadmium until the end of 2009.

Our only issue right now is time. We have 5 full time designers and so much work that it would be another year before we could get it out. That would possibly be to late if the ban was put into place or unless the European Parliament vetoes this exemption which would give us more time. If not, the only place we could sell these is in North America!
Old 18th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Thumbs down

I would be interested. The only hold up is the Chinese make.dfegad
I just can't get my head around it. I just think China=sell out on quality.
Everything I buy anymore is Made in China and I don't seem to have a choice. So much for the "freedom" of America.
I don't trust the quality. And I swear they are out to poison us.
Sorry that's the way I feel. And,It's made in China so the rich can get richer.

TT
Old 23rd July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevort View Post
I would be interested. The only hold up is the Chinese make.dfegad
I just can't get my head around it. I just think China=sell out on quality.
Everything I buy anymore is Made in China and I don't seem to have a choice. So much for the "freedom" of America.
I don't trust the quality. And I swear they are out to poison us.
Sorry that's the way I feel. And,It's made in China so the rich can get richer.

TT
I love how in this day and age, people are so politically correct and sensitive about racial prejudice against just about every race out there ...except the chinese. It seems that when it comes to China, you can say what you please and be as unfair as you like. They're the enemy right? They're all out to poison us, and it doesn't matter what they do, it's inferior.

We'd like to believe we've come a long way, but things like this prove we really haven't.
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

For me, I find the work we get is as good as any. If I was building in the USA or elsewhere, I do not believe the quality would be better. While we, as all manufacturers do, have had issues with components failing, shipping damage and stuff like that, but we think the quality of our products are pretty darn good.

Yes, there are some that expect a box costing $2,000.00 to be better than a box costing $5,000 for some odd reason...and that ain't gonna happen, no matter where you build.

Regarding Joemeek, the failure rate is almost nil, we don't even have to QC them anymore as all the kinks were worked out long ago, and we still build it in the same factory. The build quality of the new stuff is far superior to the old stuff made in the UK, and we do not get all the faults we use to get when it was hand assembled.

China like all other countries have good factories, and bad ones. Go to the good ones and you will get good products. That is why so many manufacturers build there these days.

For the record, I have been to China so many times I can't count them. I have had wonderful times seeing the culture, meeting the people and eating the wonderful food. To date, I have never been poisoned!
Old 6th February 2010
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=alanhyatt;4403907]For me, I find the work we get is as good as any. If I was building in the USA or elsewhere, I do not believe the quality would be better. While we, as all manufacturers do, have had issues with components failing, shipping damage and stuff like that, but we think the quality of our products are pretty darn good.

I'm sorry mr. Hyatt, but what would be the explanation for the vast majority of people that tries Joe meek stuff saying the old stuff is better?
It is not that some say this, some say that... everyone says there is no magic in the new line, like the old stuff...
Really don't want to get personal, but if it's not the chinese factory, it has got to be something down your back yard!
jPM>
Old 9th August 2010
Unhappy China low price = PLANET / HUMAN HIGH COST

Theoricaly, china crafters, workers etc. are as good as Canadian, US, EU workers. It's their governement that sucks:
Allowing slavery (check ou their salary)
Very low safety rules (tens of death EVERY DAY in china's mines)
No democracy - for real. If you talk against gov too loud, you're dead. they have a heavily sensored internet access, when they can pay for it.
No environemental (of jokes of it) rules.

Why? to help EU, Canada, USA etc. companies raise their markup profit. They found a way to get rid of unions and labor protection systems.

There are some smaller companies that think they have no choice, facing that competition. I think it's true.

The (partial) solution: our governments should block imports AND exports to countries that don't have the same human rights, secutiy, envirionmental, etc rules as us.

The future: if we don't do that, our children will be the future slaves. It's already hapening.

Jocelyn Bouchard.
Canada.
Old 9th August 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=jocomend;5078932]
Quote:
For me, I find the work we get is as good as any. If I was building in the USA or elsewhere, I do not believe the quality would be better. While we, as all manufacturers do, have had issues with components failing, shipping damage and stuff like that, but we think the quality of our products are pretty darn good.

I'm sorry mr. Hyatt, but what would be the explanation for the vast majority of people that tries Joe meek stuff saying the old stuff is better?
It is not that some say this, some say that... everyone says there is no magic in the new line, like the old stuff...
Really don't want to get personal, but if it's not the chinese factory, it has got to be something down your back yard!
jPM>
First of all, I disagree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion. I like to help out on these threads to answer questions for people, but I do not like to turn these threads into something other than what they are. I should not have to defend myself or my product here. The title for this thread is the difference between the 1.05 and the 1.07. Let's try to keep it at that.....
Old 9th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatballragu View Post
Theoricaly, china crafters, workers etc. are as good as Canadian, US, EU workers. It's their governement that sucks:
Allowing slavery (check ou their salary)
Very low safety rules (tens of death EVERY DAY in china's mines)
No democracy - for real. If you talk against gov too loud, you're dead. they have a heavily sensored internet access, when they can pay for it.
No environemental (of jokes of it) rules.

Why? to help EU, Canada, USA etc. companies raise their markup profit. They found a way to get rid of unions and labor protection systems.

There are some smaller companies that think they have no choice, facing that competition. I think it's true.

The (partial) solution: our governments should block imports AND exports to countries that don't have the same human rights, secutiy, envirionmental, etc rules as us.

The future: if we don't do that, our children will be the future slaves. It's already hapening.

Jocelyn Bouchard.
Canada.
Jocelyn,

You should not bring politics into this.
Old 9th August 2010
Omerta

Quote:
Jocelyn,

You should not bring politics into this.
I know, I know: we should say nothing about nothing. That's how it goes.

But let me say first Alan, that I'm sure I'd do the same in your place. I don't blame small buznisses for doing what they can to stay alive. But I'm also conviced that it's all our responsablility to recognize the impact of what we do, how our choices as consumers affects us and others. I believe everyone should be encouraging local economy, develope strong relations with local designers / manufacturers, etc. This way we'll get better, cleaner (environmentaly) product and services. And I'm also sure that gear built by free, healthy and happy workers wil have a better faillure coeficient, and better quality in general. Building plans with global respect to environment, human rights etc, will also beneficiate of a richier input from their healthier employees.

Eventually (and pretty quickly I beleive), this will have it's impact on sound quality. It so much true that we all experience the incredibly short lifetime of cheap chineese made units, pots and switches going dead after 55 turns, etc. this is to me sound quality: when a pot begins to get scratchy, it first bring a subbtle distortion that can be there for sometimes before you really notice.

I don't want to personalise this thread, and I respect everybody's work here. If I'm in this thread, it's because I love joemeek comps, new and olds.

hope I did not hurt anybody.

Jocelyn B.
Old 9th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatballragu View Post
I know, I know: we should say nothing about nothing. That's how it goes.

But let me say first Alan, that I'm sure I'd do the same in your place. I don't blame small buznisses for doing what they can to stay alive. But I'm also conviced that it's all our responsablility to recognize the impact of what we do, how our choices as consumers affects us and others. I believe everyone should be encouraging local economy, develope strong relations with local designers / manufacturers, etc. This way we'll get better, cleaner (environmentaly) product and services. And I'm also sure that gear built by free, healthy and happy workers wil have a better faillure coeficient, and better quality in general. Building plans with global respect to environment, human rights etc, will also beneficiate of a richier input from their healthier employees.

Eventually (and pretty quickly I beleive), this will have it's impact on sound quality. It so much true that we all experience the incredibly short lifetime of cheap chineese made units, pots and switches going dead after 55 turns, etc. this is to me sound quality: when a pot begins to get scratchy, it first bring a subbtle distortion that can be there for sometimes before you really notice.

I don't want to personalise this thread, and I respect everybody's work here. If I'm in this thread, it's because I love joemeek comps, new and olds.

hope I did not hurt anybody.

Jocelyn B.
Jocelyn,

The cycle of offshore manufacturing has been going on for a very long time. At one time, Canada enjoyed it's share of manufacturing. If I recall, it had problems with poor quality of workmanship at one point and then raised their prices....which is why it went to Mexico, India, Taiwan, China, and who knows who is next.

One thing I want to point out is that the USA, Canada and many other countries make "Cheap" products that flooded the market for a very long time. China does make "Cheap" goods, because that is what the market wants...but they also make some very good quality goods. I hate to see the label placed just on them. Until the market decides to not accept "Cheap" goods from any country, we will still continue to get them.

So many quality driven companies, mine included build in China. Wellbuying, Taiwan Alpha and many other Chinese part manufacturers make excellent components that work forever. I think you are generalizing where pots work for 55 turns!!! I know it happens, but you can find good quality there as well if you look.

For the record, we are now building two of our brands, Tonelux and Trident in the USA, but not because we can't get the same quality workmanship off shore. We are building them in the USA because China is now starting to raise it's prices, and to build them in the USA is not all that much more for lower quantity runs of expensive goods.

I am sorry I got caught up in this folks, but China is not the enemy...the demand for low price goods is! There will always be Countries who are willing to do it to provide work for their people. Maybe Viet Nam will be next! I see it starting already there.
📝 Reply