The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Joe Meek SC2 Versions 1.05 1.07 2.02 Differences
Old 18th September 2016
LMS
Lives for gear

One sold on eBay for 850 this summer.....

Sigh..........
Old 19th September 2016
LMS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Your talking about the very first ones... very rare and about $3,800.00 if you can find them. If you have funds, I know of two units....
Here was the auction I found..

Tfpro P8 Edward The Compressor Joe Meek | eBay
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS View Post
Here was the auction I found..

Tfpro P8 Edward The Compressor Joe Meek | eBay
Not the same compressor. Different internal PC boards. The one on eBay is a copy of the Joemeek SC2.2. Nothing like the original SC2....
Old 19th September 2016
LMS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not the same compressor. Different internal PC boards. The one on eBay is a copy of the Joemeek SC2.2. Nothing like the original SC2....
Maybe to clear things up, this is the specific one I am searching for.

RARE TFPro P8 Edward the Compressor Opto Comp w/LA2A, 1176 & Joe Meek Em Modes (12/01/2012)
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe to clear things up, this is the specific one I am searching for.

RARE TFPro P8 Edward the Compressor Opto Comp w/LA2A, 1176 & Joe Meek Em Modes (12/01/2012)
Different Animal..Not a Joemeek, and not LA2/A or 1176.... Just electronic EQ shift to mimic...

Good luck....
Old 19th September 2016
LMS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Different Animal..Not a Joemeek, and not LA2/A or 1176.... Just electronic EQ shift to mimic...

Good luck....
Gotcha. Now I am curious about the one you are referring to.

I did find a version 1.07 sc2 with the trim on the back. After reading this thread again, if i can get it at a really good price, it's still usable yeah?
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gotcha. Now I am curious about the one you are referring to.

I did find a version 1.07 sc2 with the trim on the back. After reading this thread again, if i can get it at a really good price, it's still usable yeah?
Yes....
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes....
Alan, it's good of you to come here, and I really don't want to sound confrontational, but...

I've seen a lot of your posts, and you take the time to explain why Ted's work was somewhat problematic. I read, and followed, and I think I understood...

So, why do none of your units have remotely any of the charm of Ted's units? I have a JoeMeek VC1, an MQ3, and a TFPro P4. They are all fab. Indeed, I wouldn't use them on all sources, but sometimes they are magic.

I have auditioned several of your devices. Now, I accept it is purely my subjective opinion, but they have nothing to offer. They are generic "not bad" pieces of kit. On the other hand, my VC1, on occasion in a blind test, smashes everything out of the park. Admittedly, sometimes it is in a poor second or third place, but for some material it is the best there is.

The PMI take never makes even third place. I know it's just my subjective opinion, but why do you think that is so?
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarc View Post
Alan, it's good of you to come here, and I really don't want to sound confrontational, but...

I've seen a lot of your posts, and you take the time to explain why Ted's work was somewhat problematic. I read, and followed, and I think I understood...

So, why do none of your units have remotely any of the charm of Ted's units? I have a JoeMeek VC1, an MQ3, and a TFPro P4. They are all fab. Indeed, I wouldn't use them on all sources, but sometimes they are magic.

I have auditioned several of your devices. Now, I accept it is purely my subjective opinion, but they have nothing to offer. They are generic "not bad" pieces of kit. On the other hand, my VC1, on occasion in a blind test, smashes everything out of the park. Admittedly, sometimes it is in a poor second or third place, but for some material it is the best there is.

The PMI take never makes even third place. I know it's just my subjective opinion, but why do you think that is so?
Well, I don't really feel confrontational. I have started working with Ted in 1995, and am very knowledgeable about his design concepts. I disagree that PMI Audio products lack "Charm"...I am still in business and Ted is not! As for what version you like with regards to the VC1, it is subjective. I have lists of very high profile people how only use the newer versions and they gave up their old ones. If you need to ma=mention names, I will, but does that matter.

In your book, we don't make third place, in others we rate first. At the end of the day, what does it matter? TFPro is out of business, and we still sell a ton of gear. Our products are everywhere, so we continue to do something right.

Joemeek has and always will be a specific sound. Its an effect compressor...the entire product is colored intentionally. What it is is extremely low noise, uses high quality components including American made Cinemag Transformers...not Chinese clones...and has very good digital interfaces for today's technology.

If TFPro is you choice...then I am happy for you. If your ear likes that, then that is what you should use...
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
So far, I have been unable to find them. When you say meters, what meters are you looking for… The SC2 only had one meter… If I come across the faceplate I will come back to you….
Hey Alan I thought I'd try to see if that meter was available again. I want to see my compressor the way it was meant to be.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jook View Post
I love how in this day and age, people are so politically correct and sensitive about racial prejudice against just about every race out there ...except the chinese. It seems that when it comes to China, you can say what you please and be as unfair as you like. They're the enemy right? They're all out to poison us, and it doesn't matter what they do, it's inferior.

We'd like to believe we've come a long way, but things like this prove we really haven't.
that's great and all but, the made in china stuff is poor quality. a biased opinion.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomusic View Post
that's great and all but, the made in china stuff is poor quality. a biased opinion.
Again, I have to disagree. There are poor quality products made in every country, just as there are good products made in every country. I think you would be surprised to learn some of the top name brands in high end manufacturers that use China for parts, assembly or other components.
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevort View Post
I would be interested. The only hold up is the Chinese make.dfegad
I just can't get my head around it. I just think China=sell out on quality.
Everything I buy anymore is Made in China and I don't seem to have a choice. So much for the "freedom" of America.
I don't trust the quality. And I swear they are out to poison us.
Sorry that's the way I feel. And,It's made in China so the rich can get richer.

TT
I love how in this day and age, people are so politically correct and sensitive about racial prejudice against just about every race out there ...except the chinese. It seems that when it comes to China, you can say what you please and be as unfair as you like. They're the enemy right? They're all out to poison us, and it doesn't matter what they do, it's inferior.

We'd like to believe we've come a long way, but things like this prove we really haven't.
Well now it's 2017 and what the person said about Chinese quality is absolutely still true in fact even truer. It's the market on import/exporting for-profit and it's fk'ing up a lot of gear.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Alan...

Hi Alan - a lot of years later here. Do you still stand by this? Specifically the part in bold red.

Quote:
Ok, there was never any transformers on any of the Joemeek SC2's other than a low cost plate AC transformer to supply voltage to the rails...but they had nothing to do with the sound.

The original V1.05 had no make up gain. We cut this control into the traces to get it on, then we argued with Fletcher ElectroAcoustics to make it a feature, but it was never really a make up gain, which we asked for and were told no. All it was another volume pot. I still think the V1.05 was the best sounding unit of that time.

The pot on the rear appeared on the new V1.07, but the sound was different from the V1.05...basically because of some attacking issues. So there was some modifications done to get it to sound like the original V1.05, but that did not really work.

The SC2.2 was actually supposed to replace the SC2, but after we tested it, we would not accept it as an SC2 replacement, but suggested it be sold as the SC2.2 for a lower cost.

We eventually did the dual output gain knob on the V1.07 because the photo cells weakened over time and got out of alignment, so the L/R balance was off...not good... So our mod eventually was done at the factory on a permanent basis...but still no real make up gain, and this was then called the new V1.05 and claimed to be the same sound as the original, but it was not a real V1.05, nor did it sound like one.

So after Fletcher ElectroAcoustics went out of business and I bought Joemeek, we redesigned the entire line and did the things that should have been done long ago. We added features, improved the quality and added real make up gain.

Now, we do not offer a replacement SC2 yet...reason why is the new Mc2 sounds better than the old SC2...my opinion, and is only $300.00, but we will do a flagship compressor soon.

Now some like the new, some like the old...but I think we have more fans liking the versatility of the new units over the old ones. If you can find a real V1.05, that is the one to have, and they should be worth some money...if you can find them. I have two of them with two of the original half rack 2U VC1...known as the Bricks.... Those are the only old Joemeek units I still use, but do use my new ones in my ProTools rig....

Anyway, I am happy to answer any questions you may have,,,,
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
Hi Alan - a lot of years later here. Do you still stand by this? Specifically the part in bold red.
Well, the MC2 is more versatile, and that is why I like it more. The SC2, is a great one trick pony, but what it does is killer as well... So while all is subjective, I still like the MC2...
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, the MC2 is more versatile, and that is why I like it more. The SC2, is a great one trick pony, but what it does is killer as well... So while all is subjective, I still like the MC2...
I had an original SC2 (1.05?) without any of the gain/volume knobs added. It did one thing insanely well - drum buss. And, specifically programmed drums. Just made everything big, fat and chunky. I couldn't really get it to make sense on anything else.

I'm going to see how the MC2 sounds on a programmed drum buss. Stay tuned...
Old 18th September 2018
Here for the gear

Hey Alan! I have an SC2 rev 1.07 with no output or plug on the back but with Sifam vu meter. The serial number is C8-1721. Anything you can tell me about it? Also, any chance you know where I can order a replacement handle for the front? One handle broke off. The left output is also louder than the right output. Is there anyway to fix this without jacking up the sound? This unit sounds amazing! Thanks!
Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmoncivaiz View Post
Hey Alan! I have an SC2 rev 1.07 with no output or plug on the back but with Sifam vu meter. The serial number is C8-1721. Anything you can tell me about it? Also, any chance you know where I can order a replacement handle for the front? One handle broke off. The left output is also louder than the right output. Is there anyway to fix this without jacking up the sound? This unit sounds amazing! Thanks!
email me at [email protected]
📝 Reply