The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Output Platform Studio Desk
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

Hi all,

nice timing!
I was just researching studio desks and came across the output desk as well.

I was totally ready to pull the trigger, since it ticked all the boxes BUT:
When I realised the overall price inc. shipping and VAT is about 1000€ (I am based in Germany) it got me thinking....

"Starting at 599€" and then ending up paying almost 1000€ seems a bit of a stretch to me.

So I am still looking into alternatives.
If you guys came across anything available in Europe that matches most of the featuers (rackspaces, keyboard tray, raiser for monitor and speakers) at a lower price point, please let me know!

So far I found the "glorious desk" (https://www.glorious.de/glorious-sound-desk-pro-walnut) which seems to be a cheaper copy made from MDF.

And the Zaor Yesk desk (https://www.thomann.de/de/zaor_yesk_...grey_black.htm)

which are similar to the outpout desk.

Also, for the price, several other models of Zaor seem to look ok.

Anyone got anything else?
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch33 View Post
Hi all,

nice timing!
I was just researching studio desks and came across the output desk as well.

I was totally ready to pull the trigger, since it ticked all the boxes BUT:
When I realised the overall price inc. shipping and VAT is about 1000€ (I am based in Germany) it got me thinking....

"Starting at 599€" and then ending up paying almost 1000€ seems a bit of a stretch to me.

So I am still looking into alternatives.
If you guys came across anything available in Europe that matches most of the featuers (rackspaces, keyboard tray, raiser for monitor and speakers) at a lower price point, please let me know!

So far I found the "glorious desk" (https://www.glorious.de/glorious-sound-desk-pro-walnut) which seems to be a cheaper copy made from MDF.

And the Zaor Yesk desk (https://www.thomann.de/de/zaor_yesk_...grey_black.htm)

which are similar to the outpout desk.

Also, for the price, several other models of Zaor seem to look ok.

I'm in the exact same situation ! I'm in france and the idea of paying ~1000€ + waiting 10/12 weeks really isn't appealing.

The Glorious desk seems really nice for the (ridiculously low) price, I might go with this one as it has absolutely everything I need.
I'd love getting a Zaor (Yesk or Miza 88) but the sloped surface in the rack space means I can't put any non-rackable gear there, it's a dealbreaker for me.

Keep me updated ! It seems we're looking for the same thing haha
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

I was thinking the same about the angled racks in the other desks, but I don´t think it is such a big deal.
Guess that can easily be remedied by attaching some kind of (metal) frame or tray to carry the weight in the rack compartment.
Should be available among rack accessories at your music store of choice

You wouldn´t be able fasten your gear in tight with screws, but that would´t bother me personally...

So the Miza 88(XL) is also on my list now :D
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

BTW: If I wasn´t so predetermined to get a keyboard tray, the whole thing would be a lot easier.
There would be a greater selection to choose from and obviously it would be cheaper.

So, in case anyone can come up with a neat solution for where to put the bloody keyboard monster, I would also be down with DYI, ikea hacks, etc.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
BTW: If I wasn´t so predetermined to get a keyboard tray, the whole thing would be a lot easier.
There would be a greater selection to choose from and obviously it would be cheaper.

So, in case anyone can come up with a neat solution for where to put the bloody keyboard monster, I would also be down with DYI, ikea hacks, etc.
I built my own desk, after becoming frustrated trying to find something that met all my requirements but was affordable. The output desk was my ideal desk, but like you and others, I couldn't afford it. I hired a carpenter to build a similar desk to my specifications, but it wasn't working out and I eventually fired him and did the rest myself. All in all, I actually spent more money than if I bought the output desk, because I had to purchase the tools to do the job, but I prefer it that way. Learnt some basic woodworking skills along the way. Bought myself a circular saw, hand saw, hacksaw, random orbit sander and watched a lot of videos lol. Because I bought the tools, I eventually built my acoustic panels myself as well (still gotta buy fabric and dacron to cover them).

Anyway, IKEA has the perfect counter tops to use a studio desk, and they're easy to cut.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ekbacke...nate-00335654/

I'm sure there are legs you can purchase, and if you can't find the lumber to make your own keyboard tray, buy another cheap IKEA counter top, cut it, put some heavy duty sliding rails to the side, and BAM; your own keyboard tray.

As for rackmount space; that's easier than building a desk. Maybe get a friend to help you. I built three separate 4U rackmount units that span the width (62") of my desk and used cedar to make them. Each 10" deep, if memory serves me right. They're independent from the desk, so I can move them and position them to suit (angle the end pieces inward), or remove the middle piece and just use the two end pieces. I think I should have made the middle piece 2U or 3U as 4U is a bit too high for my computer monitor, but I figure I'd purchase a monitor arm and mount it with more flexibility, as the monitor stand can't adjust height. Also, it perfectly houses my single mixcube, which is positioned in front of me.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
I built my own desk, after becoming frustrated trying to find something that met all my requirements but was affordable. The output desk was my ideal desk, but like you and others, I couldn't afford it. I hired a carpenter to build a similar desk to my specifications, but it wasn't working out and I eventually fired him and did the rest myself. All in all, I actually spent more money than if I bought the output desk, because I had to purchase the tools to do the job, but I prefer it that way. Learnt some basic woodworking skills along the way. Bought myself a circular saw, hand saw, hacksaw, random orbit sander and watched a lot of videos lol. Because I bought the tools, I eventually built my acoustic panels myself as well (still gotta buy fabric and dacron to cover them).

Anyway, IKEA has the perfect counter tops to use a studio desk, and they're easy to cut.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ekbacke...nate-00335654/

I'm sure there are legs you can purchase, and if you can't find the lumber to make your own keyboard tray, buy another cheap IKEA counter top, cut it, put some heavy duty sliding rails to the side, and BAM; your own keyboard tray.

As for rackmount space; that's easier than building a desk. Maybe get a friend to help you. I built three separate 4U rackmount units that span the width (62") of my desk and used cedar to make them. Each 10" deep, if memory serves me right. They're independent from the desk, so I can move them and position them to suit (angle the end pieces inward), or remove the middle piece and just use the two end pieces. I think I should have made the middle piece 2U or 3U as 4U is a bit too high for my computer monitor, but I figure I'd purchase a monitor arm and mount it with more flexibility, as the monitor stand can't adjust height. Also, it perfectly houses my single mixcube, which is positioned in front of me.

Any chance you can show us the rack mount units?

I am totally checking the DYI options right now...
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Any chance you can show us the rack mount units?

I am totally checking the DYI options right now...
Sure! Excuse the mess, but these are the rack mount units, built out of cedar. Mine are 4U units, which have a space of 7" high to accommodate for the rack mount bracket (rails). The inner width is 19" exactly, which is the width (or length, depending on how you look at it) of a standard rack mount piece of equipment. The depth is 10", but you can choose almost any depth. The deepest rack gear I've seen was about 13". But most rack gear averages about 5"-7". I prefer the idea of rack mounts that are angled upward, but that would require building them as part of the desk, plus I don't have the wood working skills to do attempt that comfortably as yet lol.

I like the idea of building them separate from the desk, as it leaves me more flexibility for positioning, and if I ever want to change the desktop itself (or any other part), I won't have to worry about disassembling or breaking the rack mounts. I'm planning to wrap the desk and rack mount with a dark wood patterned vinyl/contact paper. Note that the keyboard tray isn't attached, because I took it down to sand and apply a finish to it.

I bought the rack rails from Amazon here:
Gator Rackworks Heavy Duty Steel Rack Rail Set; 4U Rack Size (GRW-RACKRAIL-04U) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718XFY1Q..._PVjwEbZ49RW4K

There are cheaper ones online though. I've seen some decent 4u rails for half the price I paid for mine. They typically come as a pair.
Attached Thumbnails
Output Platform Studio Desk-img_20200228_003942.jpg  
Old 28th February 2020
Here for the gear

Looks nice! Thanks for sharing!

Rails or no rails is a point I have not yet arrived at :D

I would be fine just stacking the little rack gear I have without screwing it in tightly...
Old 22nd April 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by befuddledkakapo View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm in the exact same situation ! I'm in france and the idea of paying ~1000€ + waiting 10/12 weeks really isn't appealing.

The Glorious desk seems really nice for the (ridiculously low) price, I might go with this one as it has absolutely everything I need.

Did either of you go for the Glorious sound desk??

I'm also in the same boat and while I'd rather solid wood (output platform), MDF (Glorious Sound Desk) at half the price seems like a much more sensible option, just wondered if anyone has Glorious sound desk and what they make of it?
Old 12th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by befuddledkakapo View Post

I'd love getting a Zaor (Yesk or Miza 88) but the sloped surface in the rack space means I can't put any non-rackable gear there, it's a dealbreaker for me.

Keep me updated ! It seems we're looking for the same thing haha
I'm in Sweden and in the same situation. A bit on the expensive side and long wait time.

I'll keep track of this thread.

Cheers,

Mats N
Old 20th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Nermark View Post
I'm in Sweden and in the same situation. A bit on the expensive side and long wait time.

I'll keep track of this thread.

Cheers,

Mats N

For what it’s worth. I ended up asking a local carpenter to make me a desk based on specs that I liked. I’ve not received the desk yet, but I’m confident it will be good and it works out at half the price.
Old 20th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreamer View Post
For what it’s worth. I ended up asking a local carpenter to make me a desk based on specs that I liked. I’ve not received the desk yet, but I’m confident it will be good and it works out at half the price.
You must know a very inexpensive carpenter. I sent a blueprint to a local guy and he wanted almost a third more than the original desk.

It's looking more and more like a Platform desk.

Cheers,

Mats N
Old 20th May 2020
i wish they had a couple different desk options. it would be nice if they had something more modular. Ideally, I need a a U-Shape set-up and dont really need the rack shelf on them all. Would rather have the extra desk space for more gear. The sidekick they offer is nice but not at all what I’m looking for.
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear
I’ve had the platform desk for a few months now and I really like it. However, I had to wait quite a bit to receive it (even in the US), customer service took days to respond to any request (but was nice and offered compensation for delays), and now the shipping times are astronomical. If I were to start planning my home studio now, I’d make it all myself. New skills and everything to my liking
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear
I'm very tempted in purchasing the desk in the Grey finish. I'm starting to build my Studio on the 6th of June... So if i want my desk at a reasonable time, i'd have to order it from 10 weeks ago Shipping is ridiculous
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Addict

I've got a natural on order, probably won't get it until August, but I'm not in a super hurry. Obviously can't say for sure until I get it, but it's almost a perfect combination of everything I want, with nothing I don't, and at a very fair price. Hats off to the folks making their own, 20 years ago I may have gone for it myself but at this pint I don't have the time or interest in doing so. $700 for the desk + keyboard tray is more than a fair price.
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

Created an account here so I can post this. Don't usually do this, but since I haven't seen these points addressed previously, figured I'd warn people who are thinking about buying it.
I haven't even assembled the desk yet, because the woodwork is terrible on this thing. The holes throughout the desk are not remotely close to being clean, and most surfaces are very rough. Even the cable management holes have splinters sticking out. I got splinters just removing this thing out of the box. To get it to a usable state, I'll have to spend a lot of time sanding the parts down, which will also probably remove the gray finish, which costs 100$. Also according to the previous posts the finish is crap, so I guess I might as well apply an additional layer before it's assembled.
If I wanted to sand and finish wood, I'd just build the damn thing myself. After 101 days and 650$, I think this is just completely unacceptable. I'd ask for a replacement, but I don't want to wait another 100 days, and don't want to package the thing and send it back, considering I could barely even lift the bigger box.
Overall, very disappointed that after all this time I'll have to spend a weekend (probably more, as I have never done this) doing their job by sanding and finishing the desk. Absolute waste of time and money, recommend looking elsewhere.
Old 8th July 2020
Here for the gear

I recently got mine. The wait is very long but so far I am very happy. I do not have major QC concerns like above. Would purchase again. If my space was bigger I'd probably get the sidecar too.
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear
Yeah no QC issues here either. Built mine by myself in one night. Been loving it since.
Old 8th July 2020
Here for the gear

Well, if I did get very unlucky and most desks they ship do not have these issues, I'll see if I can get a replacement. Here are just a few samples of the issues I have on the desk I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0858.jpg   Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0859.jpg   Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0860.jpg   Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0862.jpg  
Old 8th July 2020
wow thats looks like trash
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatformReview View Post
Well, if I did get very unlucky and most desks they ship do not have these issues, I'll see if I can get a replacement. Here are just a few samples of the issues I have on the desk I got.
That sucks. Mine doesn’t look like that (same color). They have really good customer service. Id reach out to them.
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

Update - heard back from customer support. It is claimed that the underside of the table, and the grooves pictured above, are supposed to be rough and not sanded. There was no comment on the badly drilled holes, some of which are not even drilled all the way through. The resolutions I was offered were:
1 - send back the pieces with poorly sanded wire holes
2 - 150$ back + their software bundle (useless to me as I don't make electronic music and license is non-transferable) + a few months of their arcade software
Since I'd have to sand the underside of the table anyways, I might as well sand the holes so there's no point in (1), so I'll see if I can get the 150$ back, which should cover the supplies needed to fix the desk and 1-2 hours of my time, less than what it will take to fix the desk (for me at least).

Overall, disappointed that they are cutting corners (e.g. sanding table underside) on such a simple product (plane, cut, route, sand, drill through some wood) which costs 650$, and botching even the parts which are not supposed to be botched by design (e.g. wire holes).
The 150$ (and software) doesn't make it up for me, and I still would advise to look elsewhere for a desk (or any hardware for that matter). I was interested in their upcoming monitors, but after this I'll definitely pass.

I've attached a few more photos. Hope those who have one on order will be luckier than I was. Wear some gloves when removing from the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0857.jpg   Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0863.jpg   Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0865.jpg   Output Platform Studio Desk-dsc_0866.jpg  
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Update - heard back from customer support. It is claimed that the underside of the table, and the grooves pictured above, are supposed to be rough and not sanded. There was no comment on the badly drilled holes, some of which are not even drilled all the way through. The resolutions I was offered were:
1 - send back the pieces with poorly sanded wire holes
2 - 150$ back + their software bundle (useless to me as I don't make electronic music and license is non-transferable) + a few months of their arcade software
Since I'd have to sand the underside of the table anyways, I might as well sand the holes so there's no point in (1), so I'll see if I can get the 150$ back, which should cover the supplies needed to fix the desk and 1-2 hours of my time, less than what it will take to fix the desk (for me at least).

Overall, disappointed that they are cutting corners (e.g. sanding table underside) on such a simple product (plane, cut, route, sand, drill through some wood) which costs 650$, and botching even the parts which are not supposed to be botched by design (e.g. wire holes).
The 150$ (and software) doesn't make it up for me, and I still would advise to look elsewhere for a desk (or any hardware for that matter). I was interested in their upcoming monitors, but after this I'll definitely pass.

I've attached a few more photos. Hope those who have one on order will be luckier than I was. Wear some gloves when removing from the box.
Thanks for sharing the photos and your experience. Sorry it didn't go well. I've got a natural Platform on order and seeing the pictures of your desk am glad I didn't get that finish. I agree that it doesn't look all that great.

That said, some of the issues on your desk, like the unfinished underside and some of the precut holes, don't bother me too much. I guess I just expect these kind of issues with cheap furniture. The biggest issue for me was the poorly sanded/unsanded cable holes which directly impacts the functionality of the desk. If they're not going to sand these properly, they should have included a plastic grommet in the design.

Everything considered I think the offer of a $150 refund + their software bundle wasn't unreasonable, although I totally understand why the bundle isn't of any value to you. I'll update when I get mine in -- probably sometime in August or September.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's awful that you had to go through that, hopefully they will take care of you. I had bought a Desk from Studiodesk.net and I'm really happy with the build and quality of it. However, when it shipped, it was missing the left racks. They fedexed it right away. Companies need to make good on their products
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

Why do they have this crazy delivery time? Do they just start to fell the trees after receiving an order?
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Why do they have this crazy delivery time? Do they just start to fell the trees after receiving an order?

Sounds more like they plant the seeds right after receiving the order!
Old 11th July 2020
Here for the gear

Does anyone have a Roland RD 88 that could test if it fits in the keyboard slot? The dimensions say it slightly won't but I just thought I'd ask. Or does anyone have a clever keyboard with sliding wheels that I could get for under the Output Desk? Follow up question for those who got the original natural color did the colours on it also bleed? Was it also bad QC? And does anyone have a preferably Canadian company that makes desks around platform prices?
Old 22nd July 2020
Here for the gear

Hello all,
I am moving and have an Output Platform desk for sale in the natural color.

It has only been used in my smoke free home for writing and production. Used for approximately two years. Not in perfect condition but in excellent condition (I take good care of my gear). If you have been considering but wanted to save some cash versus new, this will do it.

PM me for pics, questions and further descriptions. I am in San Diego and you will likely need to pick up this desk.

*****This desk is sold*******

Last edited by jarmstropreamp; 3 days ago at 08:38 PM.. Reason: sold desk
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

I’m making one myself with the same dimensions.
I am thinking about adding the keyboard tray, but I’m concerned about the ergonomics. Does it it get in the way of your legs when typing on the desk top (tray unextended/closed position)?

Thanks
📝 Reply