The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is it wise to buy cheap audio interface with expensive studio monitors? Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

is it wise to buy cheap audio interface with expensive studio monitors?

I don't do anything else than produce music and mixing (no recording with mic or acoustic instruments), more expensive audio interfaces comes with many features that i don't need so less is better.
Since i have these Adam A77x studio monitors do i lose the're potential with cheaper interfaces like Audient iD4 or M-Audio M-Track Hub? do i not get the full sound quality out with cheap audio interface or the interface struggle in performance and load my cpu more so i better of buying something like universal audio apollo twin, rme babyface pro or something even more expensive? people says that nowadays the quality is good with almost every audio interface's so can i trust this one and just get anything i want with the features that i need?
What audio interface would you recommend for those studio monitors?
Old 4 weeks ago
zez
Gear Nut
The biggest difference between high end and low end interfaces is in the pre-amps, and that is where you will definitely hear a difference.

Since you are not recording I would say just keep the low end interface. Your money is better spent on something else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There was a thread floating around that listed all the converter chips used in modern interfaces.

All total there were two manufacturers and a handful of chips used.
Your lowest end interfaces use the same darn chips and the expensive ones.

There may be some differences in the rest of the circuits, like clocks and preamps that can make a difference.
The role or the drivers shouldn't be overlooked either. Getting all the bits too and from the computer intact is very important.

As ZEZ mentioned, your biggest difference is in the quality of the built in preamps. Even there most manufacturers do pretty good on matching them to the converters. When you factor in using shorter cables between a preamp and converter has less resistance, capacitance so there's less noise and signal loss, you don't get much shorter then having the preamp and converters on the same board.

As ZEZ also said, if you're only playing back, the quality of the preamps is a fairly low factor. Signals do pass through a line level preamp which might make a slight difference but even there you can simply compare the specs and root out any lower lifeforms. Check the overall frequency response, and the lower the Noise and distortion the better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Frequently, there's no telling, precisely, how something is going to sound until you get it home. Sad, but true. It's easier to judge general build quality than it is to judge sound subtleties, especially when, oftentimes, all you have to work with are written reviews.

That being said, I have a pair of KEF floor-standing speakers that I've used with all sort of amps and preamps -- not all top-end -- and gotten consistently fine sound over the last 30+ years. I think how you set up your rig matters at least as much as the individual elements that make it up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko6969 View Post
I don't do anything else than produce music and mixing (no recording with mic or acoustic instruments), more expensive audio interfaces comes with many features that i don't need so less is better.
Since i have these Adam A77x studio monitors do i lose the're potential with cheaper interfaces like Audient iD4 or M-Audio M-Track Hub? do i not get the full sound quality out with cheap audio interface or the interface struggle in performance and load my cpu more so i better of buying something like universal audio apollo twin, rme babyface pro or something even more expensive? people says that nowadays the quality is good with almost every audio interface's so can i trust this one and just get anything i want with the features that i need?
What audio interface would you recommend for those studio monitors?
It seems like you're primarily using the digital to analog (D-A) converters and the line and headphone output circuitry with the work you're doing. On the affordable side I particularly like the Steinberg UR series D-A and outputs. I have specifically monitored and mixed with the UR242, and UR12.

If you're looking for something conversion wise that's more bulletproof then you might seriously consider the Grace m900, since you're just mixing and producing in-the-box. It can feed your monitors via the RCA outputs to the A77x RCA inputs and the conversion is extremely good (so good that I bought one myself after demoing it). It also has a fantastic headphone amp. But at $550 USD the price difference is high for just a D-A and output amplifiers compared to an affordable interface. You'll ultimately have to weigh the trade-off. If I was in your position though I'd get one and not look back (I actually did).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search