The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best vocal comp under $400 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Best vocal comp under $400

Best single channel outboard hardware vocal mic comp for under $400?

I currently use a GAP Pre-73 preamp which is great but my vocals have a lot of transients and dynamic range. It takes so much time fixing them in post, tired of looking at such spikey wav forms. Plugins help but it seems better to tackle this at the input signal chain.

Should I get a GAP Comp-54 to match my pre or do I need a comp with a limiter?
Currently looking at Klark Teknik KT-1176 or KT-2A, GAP Comp-3Ajr or Comp-54, Bellari RP583, Alctron CP540 etc...

Thoughts or suggestions? Something that adds character to dry vocals would be nice. Thanks.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessdescent View Post
it seems better to tackle this at the input signal chain.
Arguably not. Unless you're going to tape(?)
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieK View Post
Arguably not. Unless you're going to tape(?)
Sure and your thoughts on an outboard vocal comp?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
sure and your thoughts on an outboard vocal comp?
fmr rnc
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I will second the RNC. I've had two units for years and use them on all kinds of stuff. Not great for bass instruments, but effective on pretty much anything else
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
and your thoughts on an outboard vocal comp?
Oh, right. The "Best vocal comp under $400" for tracking - which will cost you $0 (this is low end, after all) - is to use no comp when tracking. There is literally no advantage nowadays. Back in the day (insert rationales) maybe. But not now.

If you must spend money, the Klark Teknik KT-2A is just in budget.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
dbx 160a or 160x can sound great on vocals (also great for bass guitar as well as other things). You can sometimes find them used for around $200
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

A DBX 160x is really a great compressor for low money. They have stood the test of time and will always have value. Great on Guitar, bass, and snare drum, too.

Steve
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru
FMR PBC 6a is right around $400- versatile and sounds great..... you can buy another and chain them later.....
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I'm dirt poor. So I concentrate on decent plugins and I'm saving up for a mix bus comp. This way I can focus on 1 good compressor to give me depth. I usually just use plugins like CLA and Klanghelm.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

for one the cheapest one channel solution would be a Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX2600 use the first channel as a limiter, then bring the output of the first channel into the second, and set up that channel as a compressor, then into your interface....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search