The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the "best" audio interfaces below $3500 for 16+ (line) inputs? Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratriplel View Post
You do understand that you're free to not check this thread if you do not want? I'm sorry but I don't know what's silly about this and he's I've got a hard time making come through with words.
And I'm sorry if you feel it's silly, I'm trying to be short to not totally bore people out when they read but I'm guessing some of my questions is not getting through / remains mentioned in the text.

PS. I know this is my decision to make what I'm hoping for is some guidance about it. DS.

Not sure why you feel you want to make fun of me because I've got a hard time making this decision. It's one of my bigger ones.

I guess what I should have asked was:

1. What made you decide on your current interface? and yeah, I'm speaking of you that have a $ 1500-3000 interface.

2. What have made you decide on your next interface?
As far as I can see, the questions you're asking have already been answered in this thread. Digest the information, demo all the units you're interested in if you can, and make a decision.

I chose RME because drivers/stability/support. Funnily enough, someone else chose MOTU because drivers/stability/support. I've used Apollo based rigs before and had no problems with the drivers or stability. Their support/sales have even reached out to you in this thread, seems pretty good!

The only thing left is sound, workflow and budget which only you can decide.

Good luck.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
As far as I can see, the questions you're asking have already been answered in this thread. Digest the information, demo all the units you're interested in if you can, and make a decision.

I chose RME because drivers/stability/support. Funnily enough, someone else chose MOTU because drivers/stability/support. I've used Apollo based rigs before and had no problems with the drivers or stability. Their support/sales have even reached out to you in this thread, seems pretty good!

The only thing left is sound, workflow and budget which only you can decide.

Good luck.
Did you try something else before RME? I mean except the Apollo based studios and before you got the RME and do you still find the RME superior and any specific reason except the ones you mentioned?
RME UFX+ is still a very tempting purchase, but again, the Apollo x8 would very new and give me the UAD plugins which I apprichiate (even though I feel they're a bit expensive).

I could agree that this thread has surved it's cause but I still feel I've got a lot of questions I'd want answers to but it would seem silly to start a new thread for that.

For example (I could of course ask in the dedicated thread), everyone (i believe it was everyone in this thread) said get the new Apollo and then talked about the Apollo x16 that has gotten great converters etc but how about the x8 what's the score of those converters? I don't believe I will afford the x16 the next couple of months and I'd really like to get a new interface as soon as possible due to rebuilding my setup and rearranging my room and not having to redo everything and besides I don't really know of I need the extra % of the x16 compared to the 8, I mean I always want the best I could get but you know.. I can be satisfied with less... But yeah.. Tough decision..

If you don't want this thread to continue you're allowed to ask a mod to lock it but I really don't see the point eight bow but the thread title should of course be changed to 2,5k, I though I did that but maybe it was too late.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It's the circuit around the chipset that makes a difference. I'm still on Delta 1010's and won't "upgrade" till I'm convinced. We need gut shots of these products. Just pop the top and please post the pics - then we'll know the truth.
Old 4 weeks ago
JDN
Lives for gear

Am I really the only Presouns Quantum 2 Owner here?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Focusrite Red 8pre is awesome. 8 mic ins that sound insanely good and 16 separate line I/o. Thunderbolt ADAT optical word clock and other connectivity. Really great piece of gear. Get it second hand if new is just outside of budget. Then smile. Sounds seriously great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

**** everything I wrote is gone but I'm guessing it was just rambling and I'm beginning to see Teej's point about this thread surved it's purpose, I still am undecided and have a lot of questions about stuff but I feel that "the ones I want to come in to answer those questions" aren't coming.

Anyway I would consider both presonus and focusrite but I want to get something that I'm not getting with UA in order to leave the UAD platform and I'm not sure if I do. I'm a real coward. I both want to get something new and exciting but also stay within the safety of UAD and Console (which is the only place I use the plugins).

I believe I want t stay above the $1300 mark at least because I believe I get the same quality I got right now and I'm looking for an 8 input interface that's possible to extend with 2 ADAT's channels and a but plus is if I can chain the interfaces together with Thunderbolt or some technic specific to that brand and of course low latency.

I guess what I'd like the most is for someone to just confirm that I'm not making a bad decision but I understand that's not very easy for someone else to decide or give an anser about..

Should have just started a thread about "how did you decide on your interface" both what made you decide on the interface and why you decided to decide the way you did. Hehe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

It's not rocket science, dude. You work out your needs and priorities, you work out your budget, you find the thing that fits all three best. Done. No one can do it for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I know it's not rocket science but I've done everything you said but I still can't decided because almost every interface fits in when I've done that...

I also just got a deal for a Antelope Goliath going for $3300. I got scared by the thread where Antelope support failed but it feels like this deal could be quite interesting but my gut tells me no even though 2 weeks ago I'd have jumped at it.

Is this jumping the UAD-ship for? I can read the numbers but I can't interpret then into real life experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I realized that the Apollo 8 does only have 8 ADAT channels and S/mux, is that correct?

But what if I have my Twin and connet 8 channels to that one and another 8 to the Apollo x8's ADAT?

Would that work?

Thinking about buying a interface today so stop me if I'm crazy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

compañero, get a grip!

- if you need the plug ins, go apollo (houston...)
- if you want a modern interface with nice pres, go focusrite (dante...)
- if redundant recording or recording without a daw is of importance, go rme (madi...)
- if you want to get into troubles, go antelope (safari...)

again: interfaces are about... - well, interfacing with your pc, so about function, not about sound!
Old 4 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
I realized that the Apollo 8 does only have 8 ADAT channels and S/mux, is that correct?

But what if I have my Twin and connet 8 channels to that one and another 8 to the Apollo x8's ADAT?

Would that work?

That is correct. It's 8 channels (4 if s/mux-ing) per unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Would that work?

That will give you 16 total ADAT inputs but the twin does not have S/mux so you will be limited to 48khz if that's important to you.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I still record at 44.1khz because the CPU hit for 96/192 is too great so It won't be a problem for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This was the best post this thread has had I believe, really om point on what I was looking for. I believe I made the right choice because I got the Apollo, "need the plugins" though, I really don't feel I need them but I know Console kind of in and out and I use the plugins and believe I have had better result due to them but I coule manage without them if someone said "this is why you would go X/Y/X because the converters of thst unit is a lot better but if you need A/B/C and do not have any outboard effects you need to make a choice" but it's really hard when someone tells you that Apollo converters are fantastic and the next person tells you that Antelope converters are the best and at the same time a website shows a very low score for Antelope and just slightly better but mediocre score for the Apollo but according to that website almost every interface has a mediocre score and their upgrades higher those score about 2 points so for some reason there doesn't seem to be any interface going for crazy good converters which might be due to the market but still.. It's rather confusing for me at least. At least how the... I should know what's the best choice and without this thread I would have known a lot less than I know today about the non UA interfaces and even UA interfaces. But the deed is done now and I'm looking forward to finishing up my studio-rework and trying it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
compañero, get a grip!

- if you need the plug ins, go apollo (houston...)
- if you want a modern interface with nice pres, go focusrite (dante...)
- if redundant recording or recording without a daw is of importance, go rme (madi...)
- if you want to get into troubles, go antelope (safari...)

again: interfaces are about... - well, interfacing with your pc, so about function, not about sound!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Even if I haven't tried the interface yet I feel such a relief! In 3-5 years I'd be very interesting in trying something else if UA haven't caught me even more but I believe this was the best choice I could have made right now. I got a patchbay and a couple of cables plus the Apollo for $2700. Which is the cheapest in Sweden so I'm satisfied. Though I misunderstood something and thought I'd get a satellite but nope.. If I would have bought a satellite I'd have gotten some plugins not a satellite with an Apollo. But I'm happy anyway!
Old 4 weeks ago
The Lynx Aurora (n) 16 is the answer to your needs.

Others could work well too. But if conversion quality was my highest priority I'd vote Lynx.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yes I've understood that the Aurora is good but this time again I aren't with UA, because that choice was the choice where I had to make the least choice.. Hehe..

If I'm not satisfied I can always sell it in a year and buy something else but I hardly believe that will happen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I could be wrong but nobody has mentioned metric halo yet? their 3D stuff is hugely expandable and top quality, and has longevity for decades... a couple of LIO-8 maybe (one with 4 pre)?? maybe out of price range..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search