The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboard preamp suggestions for home studio Single-Channel Preamps
Old 10th February 2019
Here for the gear

Outboard preamp suggestions for home studio

I have been reading, and in a lot of cases re-reading the threads on mic preamps. I decided to ask anyway about outboard preamp suggestions for my home recording set up. I will provide as much preliminary information as I can think of.

First, my room is treated. I learned to do that first from reading posts here. I have 4" thick bass traps in the corners and where the ceiling and wall meet. I have 2" thick absorption panels on the walls and reflection points.

I am using an Apollo Twin USB as my interface coupled with a Focusrite Scarlett Octopre for additional inputs. I use some UAD plugins. I use Studio One 3 Pro as my DAW.

I have the following microphones: Shure SM7b, Shure KSM313 ribbon, Shure SM 57, Se Electronics Voodoo 1 ribbon, Se Electronics SE5 matched pair small condensers, Warm Audio WA87, Warm Audio WA251, and Rode NT1-A.

I am not currently trying to record other bands. I am only working on my own stuff and with the guys I play some classic rock and country covers with. My music is best described as jam band/blues and/or southern country rock. Think Allman Brothers, Eagles, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers/Let it Bleed"era.

I am getting better at mixing and tracking with each new recording and am thinking that a couple of channels of outboard preamps would be next logical step in the gear acquisition rabbit hole. I don't feel like I necessarily need out board eq or compression yet. I would rather spend the money on good preamps. I am willing to spend up to $2400 at this time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Alctron MP100V2, for around $350! Then put the other $2K back in your pocket-for now.

BTW I love that kind of music. Feel free to post a clip.
Chris
Old 10th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
I have been reading, and in a lot of cases re-reading the threads on mic preamps. I decided to ask anyway about outboard preamp suggestions for my home recording set up. I will provide as much preliminary information as I can think of.

First, my room is treated. I learned to do that first from reading posts here. I have 4" thick bass traps in the corners and where the ceiling and wall meet. I have 2" thick absorption panels on the walls and reflection points.

I am using an Apollo Twin USB as my interface coupled with a Focusrite Scarlett Octopre for additional inputs. I use some UAD plugins. I use Studio One 3 Pro as my DAW.

I have the following microphones: Shure SM7b, Shure KSM313 ribbon, Shure SM 57, Se Electronics Voodoo 1 ribbon, Se Electronics SE5 matched pair small condensers, Warm Audio WA87, Warm Audio WA251, and Rode NT1-A.

I am not currently trying to record other bands. I am only working on my own stuff and with the guys I play some classic rock and country covers with. My music is best described as jam band/blues and/or southern country rock. Think Allman Brothers, Eagles, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers/Let it Bleed"era.

I am getting better at mixing and tracking with each new recording and am thinking that a couple of channels of outboard preamps would be next logical step in the gear acquisition rabbit hole. I don't feel like I necessarily need out board eq or compression yet. I would rather spend the money on good preamps. I am willing to spend up to $2400 at this time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Yes, 25.00 should get you an A.R.T. TubeMP. Get as many as you want, and use both outs for easy wiring.

ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp | eBay

You will run guitars and mics direct mono in and mono out. You will record your mono signal and add plugin fx. You will throw preamps from your interface right on top to your liking. This will work flawlessly and give super tube sound and massive volume.
Old 16th February 2019
Don't sleep on the GAP Pre73. If a Neve thing is what you're going for, it's great on the low end. You can mod it, but in that case I would just go for another step up maybe something WARM.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The UA 710-d was a big step up for me. It's a fantastic front end for a home studio, really versatile. The onboard compressors are a real bonus and you can adat 8 channels right into your Apollo. Bit pricier than some other options but it's within your budget.

No regrets
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

AMS Neve 1073 or UA-6176. Both fine units.
I wouldn´t buy any external middle class preamps. The quality is not that much better than your interface preamps. Buy something really good, or save your money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Access to this page has been denied.

Miktek MPA-201

2 channels of great sounding neve type pre's with a killer DI and REALLY well built. Amazing to me more people don't talk about this one.

G

Last edited by spectacular g; 4 weeks ago at 02:34 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
There's a 2-channel John Hardy 990 Twin Servo for sale over at Reverb for around $1900 -- you would be set for a while for preamps.
Old 4 weeks ago
JAT
Lives for gear
2400$ is a different figure. Plenty of good choices although not for channel strips. My studio changed with an rnd portico channel, tho it is more cash. You might find a Aurora at that price. But for straight ahead vintage rock api or neve should work. You’ll be surprised how much a nice transformer will, well, transform your sound and add options. You might try out warm or gap or something 500$-1000 range. Warm makes solid hardware and their neve w eq is great for under $1000. And it does take time to tell thee difference, just like mics. A warm neve and api clone and microtech geffel m930 will cover a lot of sound for less than 2400$.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

+1 for the ua 710. Also you could look into 7th circle audio. You can get a rack of eight, all the classic flavors for less than 2400 I believe. I have a lot of good pres and the hold up very well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The UA 710d is a great piece of gear.

API mic preamps are a classic sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since you have a few ribbons, why not upgrade their sound with an AEA pre? If you went the route of 500 series, you could get an RPQ500, and then add somethings Nevish.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I’m a big fan of the great river. It gives a really clean sound, and doesn’t kill your pockets
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

If you have a great room and great monitors;
a great recording chain is a must; about the most essential outlay at getting expensive on par professional standard sound. But only if you know what you are doing. And you will need it all! A Studio!

It is way more ideal to capture in digital the best that analog has to offer rather than try and analogize digital.
Ideally, you want a variety of standard mics, pres and compressors in order to standardly record your music but this is the realm of a Studio. There is one near you!

Even with standard mics modern preamps in most interfaces like what you already have are good nowadays and you can get good results, especially if you are developing new songs as you go.

If you are recording live drums it requires a larger budget best done in a Studio. This can also be done for the vocals. It is also a great way to find gear you like, that suits your needs.

That said, I'd second the UA 4-710d for the jam band and covers stuff and you can concentrate on honing your recording and mixing skills by trying standard mic configurations, mic techniques are key.

Make what you have sound good. It is already a substantial investment!
The answer is not always new gear, an oxymoron for gearslutz I know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

What do you really want to record with new preamps? Everything or just drums?

How will you get new mic preamps into your twin? You’ll need to run them into the twin preamps or octopre preamps.

The 4-710 would allow you to add four other mic pres in addition to the four included in the future when going ADAT into your Apollo twin. It has four additional line inputs straight to converters for ADAT. You could also just run external preamps into the Scarlett in line mode or at zero gain.

If you just want preamps to run through the octopre, maybe have a look at daking II or IV. They’re great on everything.

Maybe get a neve clone (1073 style) and hit that early 70’s vibe. Also great on everything. $2200 will get you a brand new, top of the line heritage audio DMA. You can get great deals buying used. Or, you could get a dual channel warm wa73 with eq or heritage audio elite 73 with eq and have about $800 leftover to save or spend on other gear
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Take a look around Revive Audio. Very educational for preamps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Take a look around Revive Audio. Very educational for preamps.
Why?

Revive make some preamps but only offer descriptions like most other preamps manufacturers and designers trying to sell their products.

The best education on preamps is learned through your ears. IOW, it’s listening to shootouts. It’s the closest thing to experience an amatuer can get with such high prices and scarce places to purchase gear without some sort of punitive return fee.

Search YouTube for shootouts. Dylan Wissing does some great mic and mic preamp shootouts on drums, which I think is one of the best instruments to hear differences in mics and preamps because they have so much range. Search mic preamp shootout drum overheads. You’ll see that video first probably

Also on YouTube, search api 3124 vs CAPI Vp28 in which the dude also includes different op amps in both preamps. Every source is tracked with each preamp. It’s great

Yet more shootouts on YouTube are the 1073 clones. Listen to what they do on instruments and voices compared with the other pres. Search YouTube for a preamp name with shootout and you’ll likely find something.

Tons of resources from zen pro audio and their clipilator. It’s probably one of the best resources out there for this kind of stuff.

I’m not knocking revive, but from a standpoint on education, spending time on your ears is best and there is no shortcut to that type of learning.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

RE: Dylan Wissing

I mean damn, listen to his sm57 OH pair through the sebatron preamp. Sounds great! SM57...OH..? It’s crazy.

He’s got some of the best advice for recording because drums are the hardest thing to get right. His mic and preamp suggestions are affordable and he gets great sounds.

If it matters, I think he’s got Grammys, or songs he’s done drums for have won.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for the replies so far everyone. You have all been helpful as it is getting me thinking and researching different options.

As a point of clarification, I failed to mention that I really don't need to track drums at them moment. For my original work, since I am just fleshing out ideas and setting arrangements, I am using drum loops from a huge drum library I have. That is sufficient for the time being. The guys I am playing the covers with is just the three of us without a drummer as well. So, drum tracking would be way down the line if ever at all. That's not to say that it wouldn't be fun to run the loops out to a preamp and then back in to my DAW however.

I am having a load of fun learning and experimenting. For me, that's the bottom line. I have no real intentions of trying to be a "pro" studio or anything. Just love playing music and am thoroughly enjoying learning the recording and mixing side of things.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies so far everyone. You have all been helpful as it is getting me thinking and researching different options.

As a point of clarification, I failed to mention that I really don't need to track drums at them moment. For my original work, since I am just fleshing out ideas and setting arrangements, I am using drum loops from a huge drum library I have. That is sufficient for the time being. The guys I am playing the covers with is just the three of us without a drummer as well. So, drum tracking would be way down the line if ever at all. That's not to say that it wouldn't be fun to run the loops out to a preamp and then back in to my DAW however.

I am having a load of fun learning and experimenting. For me, that's the bottom line. I have no real intentions of trying to be a "pro" studio or anything. Just love playing music and am thoroughly enjoying learning the recording and mixing side of things.
Then go for the dual warm waa73eq or dual heritage audio elite ha73eq.

No reason to go with more or more expensive. Those will be perfect for you and save on cash

Make music
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
What do you really want to record with new preamps? Everything or just drums?

How will you get new mic preamps into your twin? You’ll need to run them into the twin preamps or octopre preamps.

The 4-710 would allow you to add four other mic pres in addition to the four included in the future when going ADAT into your Apollo twin. It has four additional line inputs straight to converters for ADAT. You could also just run external preamps into the Scarlett in line mode or at zero gain.

If you just want preamps to run through the octopre, maybe have a look at daking II or IV. They’re great on everything.

Maybe get a neve clone (1073 style) and hit that early 70’s vibe. Also great on everything. $2200 will get you a brand new, top of the line heritage audio DMA. You can get great deals buying used. Or, you could get a dual channel warm wa73 with eq or heritage audio elite 73 with eq and have about $800 leftover to save or spend on other gear
How is the wa73? I’ve been thinking about getting one but I hear it colors the sound
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've got the Neve's, the UA610's, the SCA N72's, Grace, etc... and the best bang for the buck in the low cost for high quality, high flexibility arena is this...
Audient ASP880 - 8 Channel Mic Pre with Variable Impedance and HPF

or for less bucks, still high quality and flexibility, this...
Audient ASP800 - 8 Channel Mic Pre with HMX & IRON
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I've got the Neve's, the UA610's, the SCA N72
Not to veer OT, but looking for an N72. Anyone can please PM me in that regard.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What matters first is the quality of one good recording chain. Preferably with Quaity EQ and compression. Often you are only recording one or two mic's at once.

The common high end solution is Neve 1073 flavor. The preamp is nothing special, but the EQ is awsome. It has a rare inductor EQ. Then followed by an 1176 or LA2A both. The 747 is a common all in one quality solution.

My solution for the start of my main chain was a Vipre. Many like DW furn for that.

Then you get into the drums or being able to record an entire band at once. Preamps become very subjective per janra and instrumentation. API, NEVE, SSL, and a ton of others make great preamps. I like the stuff Revive Audio makes, good enough for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Not to veer OT, but looking for an N72. Anyone can please PM me in that regard.
SCA still offering the kit for $329 and assembled for $479, right? Probably would not find them used for much less. I've seen them on Reverb occasionally, for just a few bucks less than new. Build one. I did four, and it was kind of fun.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Get a LTL Silver Bullet. There's a big thread - search for it. its a stereo unit with both Neve and API amps. It has a preamp mode and and mode for repossessing line level material. Take those drum loops and pass them through the API amp. Then with a flick of a switch track in Neve flavor. It also has a limited but very useful EQ section, and some other goodies.

Its perfect for what you're doing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have the D.W. FEARN VT-1 MIC PRE tube preamp and it is the best preamp I have ever owned. You could probably find a used one in your price range. It's a class A preamp.

Last edited by Traveler; 2 weeks ago at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Checkout Warm Audio 4 channel rack...

WA412 | Warm Audio | Warm Audio

Does not break the bank and leaves you enough money to buy KT-76 for each. Sweet.
Old 1 week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmusicgroup View Post
I’m a big fan of the great river. It gives a really clean sound, and doesn’t kill your pockets
Yes, if you dig a little deeper than all the clones and copies, you might find some very interesting products out there made by a handful of boutique manufacturers who are actually trying to do something original by designing their own gear. Unfortunately, this seems to be a dying art so be in quick!

QSP20

Cheers
Tim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search