The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
presonus studio 68 Or audient id14?
Old 8th February 2019
Here for the gear

presonus studio 68 Or audient id14?

Besides the THD and low Ohms it seems to have high gain preamps and good specs over the audient id14 like powerful headphone outputs. apparently it has bare minimum ohms to work fine with just about any microphone while other interfaces just go higher because why not and idk if the THD % is bad enough to care even tho most interfaces are lower.
Attached Thumbnails
presonus studio 68 Or audient id14?-untitled.jpg  
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

It appears to have enough mic gain to run a Ribbon or dynamic mic without having to use an in like Cloudlifter preamp which is good.
The unit looks to be 4 in so I could get by using that for solo recording. When writing music I typically record stereo guitar effects and stereo drum machine at the same time and need 4 line inputs for that.

I typically break the cost down to $ per channel then weight the additional features. A Tascam 16x08 cost $19 per analog channel compared to the Presonus which is $75. Its preamps aren't bad in the Tascam either. Maybe not as strong but definitely clean and the unit works flawlessly. Cant say the same for Presonus. They were awful when they first switched from Mac only to being both Mac and PC. My buddy had one with all kinds of problems too. I repair computer gear for a living so I took a look at it for him. He had a second generation 8 channel Firebox which was constantly crashing I removed the drivers, did a clean install, then it worked for awhile. Problem came back the next day. Tech support said they had to modify the 64 bit drivers and I'm not sure they ever got them right.

Thets why you want to research the hell out of the gear you plan on buying, not just the sales stuff which tells you its the best gear made. You want to google all the reviews you can find and also google, "Problems with" the model so you can dig up all the dirt you can find. You'll thank yourself later, especially when you read the first hand accounts of them being used. Sometimes it mostly good and other times you see the same issues over and over.

I'm guessing the newer units like this one probably have the driver issues worked out by now. I'd still check up on it as much as you can.

The headphone amp or its impedance isn't even a factor for me. My AKG's have an SPL of 104dB and impedance of 55 ohms which makes them a match for most headphone amps made. I can easily get 83db at half volume on any headphone amp I own which is as loud as you should be using them when tracking or mixing. If for any reason I ever did need louder headphones, I have several external headphone amps I can use which will easily blow my eardrums out if I was stupid enough to need that. To be honest the only time I wear them is tracking vocals to avoid feedback. I wont wear them for any other time.
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Do not buy Presonus 68 - loopback is crippled

I had to RMA device because

1. the deal breaker loopback did not work. It gave
serious buzz and was a hint that device was not ready for production.
2. Further problem was that windows 10 sound crashed with Cubase.
3. Most serious problem was unability to cold boot the Presonus 68 USB system.

I hope they have repaired these minor problems....

Luckily I'm Thomann customer and RMA was breeze.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search