The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best budget reference monitors Studio Monitors
View Poll Results: Choose best for reference (mixing)
IK multimedia iloud micro
1 Votes - 12.50%
JBL 305p micro
6 Votes - 75.00%
Mackie MR524
1 Votes - 12.50%
Mackie CR5BT
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
Check out EVE audios SC203
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhankit View Post
Finally I went to order 305p mkii on jbl website and encountered their new product... JBL 1 Series 104 compact monitors... They are claiming it to be their best in line .. Anybody got a chance to give them a listen?
I've had the 305P MkII for about a year now (and really like them). I've not heard the JBL 1 Series 104, but to me it looks like they're for a different purpose, more for people who edit podcasts & YouTube videos, or need something highly portable for a hotel room. Notice the ports are very different on the 104 (eg RCA), they only go down to 60Hz, and their shape means they likely wouldn't sit on some stands (eg IsoAcoustics) that are designed for standard studio monitors.

What I really like the 305P MkII for is the detailed stereo image. Set them up so that they're at the correct height & pointing at your ears correctly, and it's like a 3D hologram of sound in front of you. You won't get that sense of 3D from YouTube comparison videos (and yes, I endlessly watched LSR305 vs HS5 on YouTube before buying too...)

Honestly: you're likely over thinking this. Whether you get 305s, HS5s, Rokit 5, Mackies etc... any of them will be good enough. Get whatever makes you happiest and confident & makes you want to make music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerko View Post
Brought home some Kali LP-6s today. Im coming off of a pair of RP-8s. Gotta say the LP-6s sound pretty great comparatively. From what Ive understood, the driver size isn't necessarily a indicator of bass output. My 6" Kali have way more bass then my 8" Krks. The guy who designed those LP-6 also designed those JBL Lsrs.

So LP-6s are more flat sounding than JBL 305p mkii ??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder View Post
I've had the 305P MkII for about a year now (and really like them). I've not heard the JBL 1 Series 104, but to me it looks like they're for a different purpose, more for people who edit podcasts & YouTube videos, or need something highly portable for a hotel room. Notice the ports are very different on the 104 (eg RCA), they only go down to 60Hz, and their shape means they likely wouldn't sit on some stands (eg IsoAcoustics) that are designed for standard studio monitors.

What I really like the 305P MkII for is the detailed stereo image. Set them up so that they're at the correct height & pointing at your ears correctly, and it's like a 3D hologram of sound in front of you. You won't get that sense of 3D from YouTube comparison videos (and yes, I endlessly watched LSR305 vs HS5 on YouTube before buying too...)

Honestly: you're likely over thinking this. Whether you get 305s, HS5s, Rokit 5, Mackies etc... any of them will be good enough. Get whatever makes you happiest and confident & makes you want to make music.

Great one!! I think I've already started loving the 305p.. And yeah that's true, after sometime you get tuned to your monitors and mix on them perfectly.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yamaha HS8. A standard with some low end extension. Ignore all the cheap, warm, hissing, underdamped plastic junk if you can. They lack the detail for mixing choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhankit View Post
So LP-6s are more flat sounding than JBL 305p mkii ??
Hard to know but I wouldn’t count on Kali LP6 being 100 dollars a pair better. They’re still cheapo speakers with hardly any cab damping. Maybe the speaker that looks less extended on paper will have more detail due to being less resonant. Who knows.

The published Kali lp6 frequency response has dip in low mids and 1khz bump. The JBL LSR 305 sound boxy with some midrange suckout. The tons of paid reviews and YouTube video comparisons with JBL’s back ported speakers up against the wall won’t tell you anything about how they actually sound in person, the depth, and the separation. A JBL LSR 305 with clearer low end but uneven mids might not be better at all or maybe only trivially better to the point where you be better saving for something else. For the price of Kali LP6, people without a lot of cash to spend on gear can get JBL LSR 305 on sale and an interface.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search