The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Liquid Channel in 2019? Do I need a good AD/DA converter for my chain? Channel Strips
Old 18th January 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
Focusrite Liquid Channel in 2019? Do I need a good AD/DA converter for my chain?

Hi guys,
I'm looking for an upgrade and I found a used Focusrite Liquid Channel for around $1500.
I checked it on gearslutz and found it to be pretty interesting, basically multiple vintage preamps and compressors for cheap. However, it seems that it's a very old product that is no longer supported. I wonder if there is anyone still using it today in 2019 and can share me some experience with this Liquid Channel.

Also, I'm currently using
a TLM 103 mic
TC Konnect 48 Interface
Art MPA II preamp
Art Pro Channel II for mixing as an insert.

I'm planning to get more outboard gears for mixing and tracking purposes. I'm looking at the Wa76 from warm audio for mixing insert and the Avalon 737 on the way in and channel strip for mixing. Interestingly enough, for some reason, every semi-pro studio in Vietnam that I interned for, has an Avalon 737 and that makes me wonder if it's truly good or engineers here just buy it as a trend. I've done my research and understand that the Avalon is a great piece of gear. However, lots of newer engineers I met recently argued that its only the preamp on the Avalon is great, the compressor and eq are not so much and that I should only get an Avalon preamp instead of the channel strip. Can someone clarify that?

Also on the question of upgrading, I wonder if I need a good AD/DA converter for my signal chain, as I read that more outboard gears require good converters? Hope to get some more info on this as well.

FYI I'm in Vietnam so the variety of gears here is very limited and my English is not great. I'm new and would love to learn from you guys! Have a good day!
Old 18th January 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 

the liquid channel has very good converters and is a brilliant piece of gear! you'll be hard pressed to hear a difference when comparing to the originals (and it's got so many emulations to chose from) - get one and forget about the avalon (which by comparison i think is highly overrated)!
Old 18th January 2019
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
the liquid channel has very good converters and is a brilliant piece of gear! you'll be hard pressed to hear a difference when comparing to the originals (and it's got so many emulations to chose from) - get one and forget about the avalon (which by comparison i think is highly overrated)!
Agree. It was way Ahead of its time. It got nothing but rave reviews back in the day and to be honest we all still have the same ears. I wouldn’t go as far as to say the emulations are perfect, but I would say it is a great preamp and very versatile.
Old 18th January 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
the liquid channel has very good converters and is a brilliant piece of gear! you'll be hard pressed to hear a difference when comparing to the originals (and it's got so many emulations to chose from) - get one and forget about the avalon (which by comparison i think is highly overrated)!
thanks for the reply! This made my day. I can totally forget about the Avalon now. But I really worry about the driver support for Windows 10 64. I really need to confirm the compatibility before getting this unit!
Old 18th January 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Agree. It was way Ahead of its time. It got nothing but rave reviews back in the day and to be honest we all still have the same ears. I wouldn’t go as far as to say the emulations are perfect, but I would say it is a great preamp and very versatile.
Thank you for the response! Do you own one? For me if this LC can emulate 737 perfectly, that's enough lol. Now only the driver support is the real concern for me.
Old 18th January 2019
  #6
Gear Nut
 

HI!

I recently bought one and i like it alot.

The difference in preamps are subtle, but the ones i've tested and compared all sounded better than the ones built-in in my interface.

For me the best feature are the compressors. i've compared them to the plugin equivalent and to the ones in my joe meek twinQ. the Liquid channel wins every time. they are more natural and faster (if you want them to be).

i don't know if it sounds close to the real thing but i know that it sounds very good.

The EQ hasn't blown me away, I like the joe meek ones better.

GRTZ
Old 18th January 2019
  #7
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk u View Post
HI!

I recently bought one and i like it alot.

The difference in preamps are subtle, but the ones i've tested and compared all sounded better than the ones built-in in my interface.

For me the best feature are the compressors. i've compared them to the plugin equivalent and to the ones in my joe meek twinQ. the Liquid channel wins every time. they are more natural and faster (if you want them to be).

i don't know if it sounds close to the real thing but i know that it sounds very good.

The EQ hasn't blown me away, I like the joe meek ones better.

GRTZ
Great to hear from you! btw what interface are you using? and whats your chain? do you have any other AD/DA converter? and do you happen to use Win 10?
Old 18th January 2019
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingOnion View Post
Great to hear from you! btw what interface are you using? and whats your chain? do you have any other AD/DA converter? and do you happen to use Win 10?
I use windows 7 but i dont connect the Liquid channel directly to the PC.

My chain is:
AT4033 or sm7b for vocals. otherwise it depends on the instrument.
into the liquid channel. where i choose a preamp and comp fit for the task.
i take the line output from the Liquid channel.
That goes into a Line input on my steinberg ur824 interface.
into the PC
Old 18th January 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk u View Post
I use windows 7 but i dont connect the Liquid channel directly to the PC.

My chain is:
AT4033 or sm7b for vocals. otherwise it depends on the instrument.
into the liquid channel. where i choose a preamp and comp fit for the task.
i take the line output from the Liquid channel.
That goes into a Line input on my steinberg ur824 interface.
into the PC
That's what I plan to do with it too. However, I would also the line input for mixing insert too.
The reason I want to use the Liquidcontrol on pc is that I'm getting a used unit and since it must be like 10 years old, I'm afraid under heavy usage, the knobs may get loose and it's super annoying for me haha. Do you experience loosen knobs or anything due to wear and tear? How long have you been using the unit may I ask?
your feedbacks are very much appreciated!
Old 18th January 2019
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingOnion View Post
That's what I plan to do with it too. However, I would also the line input for mixing insert too.
The reason I want to use the Liquidcontrol on pc is that I'm getting a used unit and since it must be like 10 years old, I'm afraid under heavy usage, the knobs may get loose and it's super annoying for me haha. Do you experience loosen knobs or anything due to wear and tear? How long have you been using the unit may I ask?
your feedbacks are very much appreciated!
I've been using it for 2 weeks. No loose knobs, it was in good condition when i bought it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk u View Post
I've been using it for 2 weeks. No loose knobs, it was in good condition when i bought it.
Do you connect it digitally to your interface using AES or Spdif?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dickiefunk / So much gear, so little time
2
_ben / So much gear, so little time
3
SctStudio / So much gear, so little time
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump