The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap/OK multipurpose "big" monitors/speakers Modular Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Cheap/OK multipurpose "big" monitors/speakers

So I've been out of recording for a while. Ran a studio late 90's/2000's, etc. Life intervenes.

Fast forward, and my now 15 year old daughter turns out to be a competent multi instrumentalist with a few reasonably talented friends and has started recording. iPod/Firepod and a few of my left over mics for now.

So. We're moving to one of two places, and either will have a two car garage-ish sized place for music, recording, and teen hang out.

I've got passable nearfields I know well and am happy with.

What I'm looking for is a biggish pair of speakers that are inexpensive, robust enough for using for practice and/or tracking, and don't totally suck for casual listening and movie watching. If not powered, I've got some decent amps lying around.

Budget is probably $300-1000, depending on how much benefit there is in spending more. I'm inclined to go used, diy, or both. Might front end with something, eq, driverack, etc.

Current ideas;
1) older 3 way short throw PA cabs, EAW 153 or similar. Maybe a better quality 2-way? (Maybe too harsh)
2) buy inexpensive drivers for a triamped poor man's three way (fun, fraught with potential failure)
3) look for a good deal on bigger near/midfields (pair of jbl lsr28's on Craig's for $600 right now, but robust enough for band practice?)

Thoughts and suggestions? I intend to treat the room as necessary, both for isolation and tuning, but that's pretty room dependent and I'll cover it later. Might do a build thread if it seems interesting enough.

I'm glad to be dipping my toe back in, hopefully I can restrain myself a bit... This might not be the right place for that...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
In this century, I wouldn’t recommend studio monitors for band playback. There isn’t a good cost/benefit balance in buying larger studio monitors for that purpose. I have used self-powered JBL Eon 10s or QSC 12s for band playback on remote recordings. The JBLs are surprisingly transparent. The QSCs are meatier on the bottom end but are not quite as clear as the JBLs on the top.
In both cases they are almost bulletproof, will play loud enough to fill a garage, and can be pole mounted for flexible placement. They give an honest enough playback to make tracking decisions and rough mixes. You already have your nearfields for mixing.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Thanks for the input. This is the direction in which I've been leaning. I've either played through or mixed live on 15" Eons, Mackie 450's, and QSC K10'S with a sub. But those were all in loud live clubs, and my main concern is whether a lot of these speakers might just be harsh or irritating for the other half of the job I'm asking, namely video games and movies at probably 8' or so away. Hence thinking about some sort of three way, a front end processor, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
In this century, I wouldn’t recommend studio monitors for band playback. There isn’t a good cost/benefit balance in buying larger studio monitors for that purpose. I have used self-powered JBL Eon 10s or QSC 12s for band playback on remote recordings. The JBLs are surprisingly transparent. The QSCs are meatier on the bottom end but are not quite as clear as the JBLs on the top.
In both cases they are almost bulletproof, will play loud enough to fill a garage, and can be pole mounted for flexible placement. They give an honest enough playback to make tracking decisions and rough mixes. You already have your nearfields for mixing.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

3-way used pro: Community sls920

"hi-fi" powered 2-way: EV Sxa250
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Best View Post
my main concern is whether a lot of these speakers might just be harsh or irritating
That was my concern also, but my experience is that when I used their “flat” or “bass boost” EQ settings, these don’t have that mid-forward sound that was typical of low priced and mid priced live monitor speakers in, for example, the ‘90s.
The Eons also have digital EQ available via Bluetooth that I’ve played with (it seemed good), but never used live because I use the EQ on my digital mixer’s monitor sends. For the uses you outline, these speakers should meet any reasonable expectation (but you might have ridiculously high expectations that seem perfectly normal to you, so no guarantees!).
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

EV ZXA1-90, perhaps?

Put them well off the floor, vertical, and rotate the tweeters for correct pattern.

Plenty loud enough for a garage.

. charles
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

I likes me some Alesis Monitor Twos, far as ‘big’ monitors go, that can also cover other needs. Certainly cheap as well.

edit: Not powered, but I consider this a plus, as I have a couple of *very* nice amps, one of which suits these perfectly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search