The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I get the sound of Crystal Clear Rhodes àla JD-800/990 & E.Piano àla MKS-20 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

How do I get the sound of Crystal Clear Rhodes àla JD-800/990 & E.Piano àla MKS-20

What is the cheapest or most price worthy way I can get a hardware Roland type of Crystal Clear Rhodes àla JD-800/990 and Electric/Gospel Piano àla MKS-20?

I believe I'm looking for the Roland sound and not so much the Yamaha or Korg.

I have recently started tinkering with my Juno 106 to further tweak my own made piano patch and realized it's limitation and that I certainly have to invest in something digital in order to get the sound I'm after.

Since it's only the two type of sounds I listed above I'm after I'm just looking what would be the cheapest or most price worthy way to get it.

Sure I could sample them in my analog rytm but I would most preferably like to have the possibility to tweak the sounds some even though the patches I've heard is very close to what I want I my music.

What would you suggest? What alternative is the most price worthy? Is there some unknown vintage module that I've missed and that is not that expensive?
I'm open to both old second hand vintage gear and new gear.

It's a plus if it's not something that has a known issue, such as, the JD-800 has the problem with sticky keys etc.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

If virtual instruments are an option I can recommend MKSensation Digital Piano Module for Kontakt 5 Free Player
For a tight budget you can also look here: vKS20

Owning a real MKS-20 I have to admit that I mostly use the vKS20 out of sheer comfort.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hmm virtual instruments are okay for recording but I'd like a real instrument to be able to perform without a computer (now that Mac-computers are not more trustworthy than regular PC's/Windows) so I'm mostly interested in actual hardware.
I did try Keyscape the other day and was really impressed but it is kind of costly for software and we got the problem with running it on a computer and not a dedicated hardware.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

But is there any more keyboards / digital piano modules with those presets / that are able to make these sounds?

I know JD-800, JD-990 and of course MKS-20 but the last one seems to be missing those "sparkling" Crystal Rhodes and I've never had the chance to try any of them.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

So it's either plugins or the RD-800 or JD-800 / JD-990 that I've got to go for? No newer hardware has any of the Crystal Rhodes stuff?

Of course I'd like it cheap but if say, the Jupiter-80 has this patch or the possibility to program it / something very similar I'd might go for that to get something more than just that patch.

Not sure what I got Crystal Clear Rhodes from but I'm guessing it's a patch name similar to that.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

You could also try something like a used Yamaha Motif and load the exact sample into it: Precisionsound | P20 – Vintage Digital (Roland MKS-20)
Otherwise it's 2019, just grab an iPad with Lightning-to USB-Adapter, plug-in your MIDI keyboard and you are good to go: MKSensation im App Store
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

All the sounds in this demo are possible with a D50 engine but you'd have to program them yourself because they aren't really covered in the patches. but doing a convincing MKS20 seemed beyond it's ability. or I wasn't able to nail it. in any case, the recent Roland D-05 is close enough to identical to a D50 engine. but with far more available patch slots. after a time of programming you can imo achieve better performing sounds than these on the engine, but I suspect the reason the MKS is special is large part down to the analog chorus system they had in there.

Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Yes I know the chorus is a quite large part of it all but is there a way to get that chorus in a box I'd go that way and just get a good basic Electric Piano tone to go through it. But I don't know any box like that, maybe the Dimension C or a Chorus Echo? I actually bought a RE-301 for that but the seller didn't deliver and I'm waiting for him to either give my money back or fix the echo and send it to me. Enough about that.

I'm guessing most of these sounds om looking for would be possible with a chorus like this one, so what other keyboards or modules with it are there? For once I really don't care if it's digital or analog but I'd be happy if the pricetag wasn't above $500

The D50 I've not looked too deep at but some and as you're saying the specific chorus is probably what's missing from the patches I've heard, though I just checked out some new video and I could probably work with what I heard. Doesn't have to be the exact same patch as the JD-800 but I don't want to make too much of a compromise. A but worried a D-50 would be a bit too hard to program though but I guess I have to learn if it's what end up with. Thanks for the tip to check it out again. Roland should have made a larger version of the D-05 and I'd probably have one in a couple of weeks if price was alright but now I'm not so sure about that.
What synthesizers would be able to produce this? Maybe the other D-XX could work as well I'm not sure if the D-20 sounds "the same" etc or what differnates them.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

the chorus board in the MKS is pretty large and highly populated with components. I've never seen anyone reproduce it and I suspect it's highly tailored for the MKS. that's not to say you couldn't find someone who has done a good job of simulating it. as for the D20 etc, I think those units missed the dual chorus of the D50. or some such omissions.

it might also be that by the time they made those units some of the chip design may have changed. hard to say but Roland made a point of analyzing and modeling the signal outputs of those particular chips to reproduce the behavior of the chips they used and called it digital circuit behavior. this was quite a bit before they did their more recent analog circuit behavior modeling we see in recent devices.

this also might go some way to explaining why it could be hard to recreate the chorus unit in the MKS. the D50 is quite a deep synth to program because it has around 10 X 8 stage envelopes if you include the two for the pitch envelopes. you might get somewhere with a Roland P330 and some external chorusing, but I'm not sure what chorus would suffice. the P330 is supposed to have the same engine but with digital chorus. though the upper registers don't have the same wooden clunk the MKS have, having seen some people compare the two. I have a P330. I like it and it has a sound set with an attack portion the MKS hasn't.

there are various editors available for the D50 these days btw. some run as plugins, some as applications and some run as apps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search