The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bare Bones Hardware Sampler for Synth Sounds Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Bare Bones Hardware Sampler for Synth Sounds

Hello friends,

When researching samplers, usually there are a tn of options in the beat-making category. I'm more interested in the kind of sampler that ensoniq made, where you are sampling a source to be played chromatically on a keyboard. There are SO MANY old akai samples in rack format. Seems like tons were made after the ensoniq mirage.

So, can someone recommend a standalone hardware sampler that is in the "under $500 used" category, is straight forward and easy to use and possibly even geared toward keyboard synthesis?

I tried the Emu E6400. It sounded awesome. I even put a compact flash drive in it. I know it's not a powerfully complex device to use. But, after a few weeks it sat there and i sold it.

So now i'm looking at the Akai S612. seems very bare bones, which looks good to me. Alternatives to that? Bare bones and cheap?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Akai S612 is awesome, one of the most straightforward hardware samplers ever. Though storage is complicated (no compact flash reader options) unless you don’t ever need to recall your patches. However you can also link it to an AX60 and run your patches through it’s filters...

I personally think that ensoniqs besides the mirage are easier to use than Emu, and every one of them I have owned has been well under $500. EPS is pretty basic, don’t bother with SCSI, and I think you can get a floppy emulator going on it? EPS16 would be another obvious choice. ASR10 is what I’ve got, works well with some SCSI devices but not all (but I think a floppy emulator will work if you don’t have it)... These three ensoniqs are largely the same interface to use, and is pretty easy to learn.

Honestly though, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding almost any brand of rack sampler in your budget or likely substantially cheaper, which would do what you want (use as many features as you need). I see Kurzweil, Emu, Akai, Yamaha, Rolands...all pretty cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search