The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
uad plugins or 500 series Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

uad plugins or 500 series

which one is smart move ? Should ı buy new uad soundinterface or 500 series comp,eq ....

my current setup: tc konnekt 48 sound interface , neumann monitors ableton live 9 and I use ableton stock plugins only for mixing
my budget:2500usd and additonal 500usd for each month

my mixies need depth low end warmth I couldnt achieve this by using stock plugins sometimes ı think all I need is good hardware masterbus comp

what do you say ?
sorry my limited english
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I'll tell you right now you son of a bitch, go with the hardware. At least try it out. I recently went to hardware after a decade itb, and its awesome. There's a lot of nice 500 series now. youll thank me later just dont make rap music and were even.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolname6 View Post
I'll tell you right now you son of a bitch, go with the hardware. At least try it out. I recently went to hardware after a decade itb, and its awesome. There's a lot of nice 500 series now. youll thank me later just dont make rap music and were even.
Lol

This... but a mix of outboard and ITb is nice too...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerslut View Post
which one is smart move ? Should ı buy new uad soundinterface or 500 series comp,eq ....

my current setup: tc konnekt 48 sound interface , neumann monitors ableton live 9 and I use ableton stock plugins only for mixing
my budget:2500usd and additonal 500usd for each month

my mixies need depth low end warmth I couldnt achieve this by using stock plugins sometimes ı think all I need is good hardware masterbus comp

what do you say ?
sorry my limited english
Why don’t you buy some eq plugins..? Plenty of great pultec eq plugins that sound amazing... uAd, ozone advanced has a pultec, Waves, ik Multimedia’s pultecs all very good
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Why don’t you buy some eq plugins..? Plenty of great pultec eq plugins that sound amazing... uAd, ozone advanced has a pultec, Waves, ik Multimedia’s pultecs all very good
in fact I am intereseted in uad plugins because they run with dsp not cpu it is good thing on the other hand sooner or later they became obsolete
when I first met tc electronic dsp plugins I was impressed but later whatever ı do it didnt satisfy me so after this experience I am thinking of buying hardware

there is no doubt that hardware is superior to software outside the box but if ı want the use hardware with itb there will be signal loss because of ad/da convertion this should be disadvante of hardware ? what do yu think about it ?

my current setup is old ı dont know anything about latest improvements of software it might be me better option this is why ı open this thread
thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
in fact I am intereseted in uad plugins because they run with dsp not cpu it is good thing on the other hand sooner or later they became obsolete
when I first met tc electronic dsp plugins I was impressed but later whatever ı do it didnt satisfy me so after this experience I am thinking of buying hardware

there is no doubt that hardware is superior to software outside the box but if ı want the use hardware with itb there will be signal loss because of ad/da convertion this should be disadvante of hardware ? what do yu think about it ?

my current setup is old ı dont know anything about latest improvements of software it might be me better option this is why ı open this thread
thank you

My opinion only. If you are short on CPU power, you need to upgrade or replace your computer. Look at the UAD instance chart for an idea of how many plugins can run on these devices...only so many.

I would go with hardware. I’m not sure that 500 series is always the way to go in terms of bang for buck, it depends on what you want exactly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

thank you
Honestly I’m not familiar with your daw but it must have particularly bad built in plugins if you can EQ to your liking. I’ve yet to see a modern daw with unusable built in plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
My opinion only. If you are short on CPU power, you need to upgrade or replace your computer. Look at the UAD instance chart for an idea of how many plugins can run on these devices...only so many.

I would go with hardware. I’m not sure that 500 series is always the way to go in terms of bang for buck, it depends on what you want exactly.
I agree.. upgrade your computer first... it’s the “reel to reel” in your studio... the brain

Maybe upgrade your daw, too
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I would go with a uad apollo 16 and then save that 500 a month and buy a decent console. As long as you have some rackmount pres till you get your board you are good. You will get the sound you are looking for by doing analog summing. Mix 16 tracks on a board takes all the itb sound out of it. The basic plugins that come with the apollo include a pultec eq and an 1176 comp. Sp do all your mixing automation effects eq etc itb but send out to your board after that and let it mix it to stereo instead of the computer. The apollo has great converters so don't worry about a loss in quality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The amount of processing power in the UAD units is pretty stout. They have so many good plug ins for it that you could easily mix an entire project with only those plugins and use very little CPU power. I have done this many times. My old rig that I used up until 2 years ago was a 933 g4 mac with a uad 1 card and a gig and a half of ram. I added the uad card and went from maxing out my CPU to never going over 2/3rds usage.
So while yes you can only run so many instances it is doubtful you will max it out. But in the event you do you can link up to 6 UAD devices for an insane amount of power.

Last edited by HeadlessDinosaur; 4 weeks ago at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Mis typed a word
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

500 series. I got into them this year, nothing crazy price wise, and the recordings Ive done are much much better than anything prior to that using preamps that were decent on interfaces. I got 2 alctron neve style preamps and 2 bart hrk 2 channel preamps (clean but great headroom, they worked great with my isk tube mic), so 6 preamps in 4 spaces, then a pair of the alctron compressors. Using less plugins now on those mixes. And an OS update won't render them useless.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why not both?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Why not both?
No, both isnt gonna work. He has to commit. Hes been running away from committment his whole life. He needs to make a decision and stick to it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

But if he decides to do both, isn't he also committing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
But if he decides to do both, isn't he also committing?
He needs discipline and lord knows every time I tried to instill it in him you came to his rescue. And now look. Look!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok fine! Have your way with him
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I guess the TC is worth an upgrade. It's 10 years old and you aren't satisfied with its DSP plugins. How many pres do you need? I'd get a USB interface since I don't know how much longer Firewire will keep working. Audient, RME, Lynx if you have a PCI-e port, and UAD are the next level.

For analog coloring, there's DIYRE's Color Series and Louder than Liftoff's Silver Bullet: Silver Bullet - drBill's Stereo Tone-Amp™ - Louder Than Liftoff
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I wish I could buy both but I have limited budget I think I will get hardware first. my old mac mini(late 2012 quad i7) may not support new uad devices
I am also thinking of buy reel to reel recorder like revox and mixing each channel with 500 series hardware then record to the computer Did you try something like that before?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You'd be better off with something like the Handsome Audio Zulu than a tape machine. They get expensive fast.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
You'd be better off with something like the Handsome Audio Zulu than a tape machine. They get expensive fast.
Stole my next suggestion. Its smaller cheaper and people say it sounds amazing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am also thinking of buy reel to reel recorder like revox and mixing each channel with 500 series hardware then record to the computer Did you try something like that before?
You would never get your tracks to sync this way, unless you just printed the whole stereo mix to tape and back (not attempt to "multitrack" one track at at time). Research tape wow and flutter .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
The amount of processing power in the UAD units is pretty stout. They have so many good plug ins for it that you could easily mix an entire project with only those plugins and use very little CPU power. I have done this many times. My old rig that I used up until 2 years ago was a 933 g4 mac with a uad 1 card and a gig and a half of ram. I added the uad card and went from maxing out my CPU to never going over 2/3rds usage.
So while yes you can only run so many instances it is doubtful you will max it out. But in the event you do you can link up to 6 UAD devices for an insane amount of power.
You joined just to say that? The processing power of a UAD is stout compared to what? A G4? Yeah I could support that. Also, my cell phone is stout compared to a G4.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Kslight,

That's not what I joined to say. I think you missed the point of my post. I'm saying I was able to run sessions with no problems because the uad alleviated so much CPU usage and allowed my older system to run much longer than it would have otherwise. The current uad processors have a lot of power even buy today's standards too.

Quote:
There are many ways to accomplish what you want to do. I have a 16trk reel to reel I patch in line before my computer so it tracks to tape and then straight to the computer in one step. On the outs of the tape machine I use a little labs redcloud 8810u8er. This is just an attenuater so I can slam the tape how ever I like but then make sure I don't hit my converters too hard. Punch ins aren't an issue cause I'm not trying to have master reels the masters are digital. The tape can roll whenever it only matters that the CPU is started right just as it normally would if you were only using the daw. The tape is just a pass through.

Like I said analog summing is a huge part of getting a non itb sound. 500 series won't do that for you. Well not unless you set it up to but at that price you can get a good console with way more flexibility.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’ve never heard a plugin do what analog gear can.

I love plugins, too. I dropped $1500 on UAD plugs, a Duende when it came out, All Izotope, Plugin Alliance, Softube, etc
Love ‘em all.

However, my IGS RB 500 and Elysia Xfilter changed everything on the 2-bus.

Warm, fat, wide and detailed.

The IGS does the Pultec thing WELL.

Now I’m mixing with them, too.

My point is, some analog circuits just have the mojo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It’s amazing the thread has gotten this far and no one has launched into a sermon on acoustic treatment.

Anyway, mojo on the mix bus? SSL Fusion fits your budget exactly. Then add some 500 series eqs and comps for the mid/side processing and you’d have a nice setup. Run some rnd 551s through there and the low end would be great. There are lots of other 2-bus mojo boxes — overstayer, louder than liftoff, RND 542, etc. The silk on the rnd stuff is especially nice.

Bus comps are mainly there to glue the mix together. They add warmth but it’s subtle, generally speaking.

But demo acustica El Rey and run it into Taupe. That may be all your 2-bus needs, and the bass will be incredible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
It’s amazing the thread has gotten this far and no one has launched into a sermon on acoustic treatment.

Anyway, mojo on the mix bus? SSL Fusion fits your budget exactly. Then add some 500 series eqs and comps for the mid/side processing and you’d have a nice setup. Run some rnd 551s through there and the low end would be great. There are lots of other 2-bus mojo boxes — overstayer, louder than liftoff, RND 542, etc. The silk on the rnd stuff is especially nice.

Bus comps are mainly there to glue the mix together. They add warmth but it’s subtle, generally speaking.

But demo acustica El Rey and run it into Taupe. That may be all your 2-bus needs, and the bass will be incredible.
Re: my mixies need depth low end warmth I couldnt achieve this by using stock plugins sometimes ı think all I need is good hardware masterbus comp

He needs a Pultec some kind or maybe a Massive Passive. Something with tubes and mojo. Or maybe he just needs to fix his bass during the recording phase.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Why has no one else talked about analog summing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Many high quality plugins offer a free demo. I would try a few out to see if that gets you closer to what you are trying to achieve. If your computer is really lacking it may be worth it to upgrade no matter what path you choose.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If you really want to add console like summing, the ability to track through API and NEVE style preamps, reamp limp tracks and have a killer master buss processor you can mix into, I highly recommend the Silver Bullet. It is literally the hub of my hybrid system and was the “gateway drug” back to hardware for me. For about 2k it’s hard to find a better value out there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Secret80sman,

How does the silver bullet sum audio? It looks to me like a stereo unit. That's not summing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search