The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can someone recommend an inexpensive HH mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Can someone recommend an inexpensive HH mic?

Under $200 if possible. Under $100 would be fantastic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

For me. it's impossible to recommend something cheap to capture (from way too close-up) a sound that's harsh, nasty, and tough for electronics to deal with. Besides which, I'm usually wishing I could turn the hat down, not up.
Old 4 weeks ago
A few pro people use sm57 - although not my cup of tea.
Budget pencil mic? Avantone? Or find a cheap ribbon?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For me. it's impossible to recommend something cheap to capture (from way too close-up) a sound that's harsh, nasty, and tough for electronics to deal with. Besides which, I'm usually wishing I could turn the hat down, not up.

Instead of cheap, how about inexpensive? What are the most inexpensive mics you'd consider?

I get the turn it down thing just want some control sometimes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
A few pro people use sm57 - although not my cup of tea.
Budget pencil mic? Avantone? Or find a cheap ribbon?
I did try a 57 on it. Wasn't my cup of tea either
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The snarky part of me says “no” mic at all on the hi hat... I can’t think of any time I have thought to myself “boy this mix really needs more hi hat.” But I do mic the hi hat anyway to appease clients...if I end up using it in the mix it’s way way down.

If I were to buy a sub $200 mic today I would take a hard look at the slate ml2. Not a specific recommendation, but I have to assume with no modeling it is no worse than any other cheap SDC, but with modeling perhaps you could find something useful. And also you could stick it on other instruments too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

so we are talking very cheep here, but here is my experience.

i was given a cascade pencil condensor, which i had little expectations of being usefull.

i put it on hats and it seems fine. i will look for the model for you.

actually i find most anything will work on hats, but i allways use pencil condensers.

its not an instrument with a great deal of tonal variation, so easy to mic.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

also at the cheep end the MXL 441 pencil can be used on hats.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

a cheap measurement omni. the behringer one used to be $40.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yeah. I almost want to say no mic, too. It would cost you $0.

About the only thing I use HH tracks for (when I get them in mix projects, because I rarely use HH mics, myself) is to help place an ambiguous HH in the stereo field, provided I'm having trouble locating it in the OH's. I'll pan it to where I think it should be and turn it up just enough to pull it to whatever side it should be on. I then hope it's not stupid loud. A lot of times I have to automate the level if there are any long passages of open HH.

That said, one of my early recording gurus used nothing but SM7's on HH. Not inexpensive, but it's the only mic I have any personal experience with in that context.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You could get a used C451. One of the most used mics for hi hat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
You could get a used C451.
Yeah great, but I don't count them as inexpensive (relatively speaking).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yeah great, but I don't count them as inexpensive (relatively speaking).
Of course there are some cheaper mics, but since AKG left Austria, they have a very competitive price. I've seen a second hand C451B in a pristine condition go for €170 recently which is less than $200 - the OP's budget.
While the older models generally sound a bit better (or at least less bright), the B version sounds more than good enough on HH in most situations, actually I'll often choose it over a KM84.
Old 4 weeks ago
Awesome. I'm going to look for a deal on a C451B.

Thanks very much for the help. I really appreciate it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I recently used an old Behringer B2 (I think?) on hi-hat at the drummer's insistence. I never use hi-hat mics. It was "useful", it did provide more clarity to the hi-hat but I kept it really down in the mix (like -12dB compared to the other spot mics). I bothered with it only because I had a spare channel, but I honestly think you can do without unless you're tracking Stewart Copeland (or in general if the drummer uses lots of complicated rhythm patterns on HH and you want them to be clear in the mix).
I tried an SM57, trashy, good for certain things, not for the stuff we were doing though. Generally you want more transparency (my opinion, at least; I don't usually like strongly coloured mics on cymbals). An SDC is perfect for the job but I'd get one with a pad as hi-hats can make really lots of noise and you want to minimise bleed. I didn't have one and I made do with what I had. Røde makes good affordable stuff, a Rode M3 would be well within your budget.

If you read around you'll see all sorts of weird solutions (up to people using basically toy microphones), anyway, sometimes serendipity trumps careful planning.

Last edited by ampetrosillo; 4 weeks ago at 03:11 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Sony ecm50 is a great HH mic too
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AKG-451-EB is a great microphone on many things. not just hats. Trumpets in section, etc etc

and the later AKG-391s are just as usefull. i have a pair of both.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love the blue encore 100i on hi hat, or if you want an sdc, the isk little gem is fantastic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
Sony ecm50 is a great HH mic too
That's interesting. Useful for other stuff ala Val Garay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search