The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing the right Mic for my Voice Type Dynamic Microphones
Old 14th December 2018
Here for the gear

Choosing the right Mic for my Voice Type

Hello everyone!

For the 5-6 years I've been making music now, I've relied on a cheap, trashy condenser microphone for recording the occasional percussion tracks or foleys. Since I mainly do Hip Hop production and soundtracks, I haven't needed it for much else.

I picked up singing last year and started writing songs, so I'm currently looking for an upgrade so I can properly record myself and I'm wondering what mics I should be looking at:

I'm a man with quite a high, nasal voice (tenor according to my teacher) that has a dark, rich quality to it. From what I've read the Shure SM7 fits my voice type quite well. Also, due to my job, I'll be traveling a lot in the next year, meaning I have little to no access to treated rooms, which would also make the SM7 a good pick, I suppose.

Should I be looking at any other mics within the same price range?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 14th December 2018

The Heil PR-30 and PR-40 should be on your list.

For condensers, the Audio Technica AE3300 and AT8031 are worth looking into, as well as the EV RE410/RE510.

Speaking of EV, If you can find a used N/D468 in good condition, it might work quite well.

-tINY

Old 14th December 2018
Gear Head

The best way we can make suggestions for you is to show us recordings of your voice. Descriptors only go so far.

That said, the SM7 is a great all-purpose mic that works on most voices, though if you want to emphasize the air in your voice it might not be the best choice. It's commonplace in Hip Hop and works great in untreated rooms. In fact, that's exactly why I bought one: Hip Hop vocals in a reverberant studio apartment.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Addict
Advanced Audio DM20 (very nice instead of RE20 and friends)
I haven't needed to use the CloudLifter to get sufficient signal from it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search