The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing the right dynamic microphone Dynamic Microphones
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Not enough experience with that microphone, for me to judge. If anything, generally I prefer their VO arch rivals EV and Shure as far as tone.
Of the established brands IMHO, for the least amount of money, The M88 is usually the best "bang for the buck".

Phil Collins sold "a few (zillion) records" using his M88 for studio vocals FWIW.
Sounded like an expen$ive Neumann...
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiller5 View Post
a dynamic will have to do for now due to the fact that I can't put up any acoustic treatment.

Im not sure whether the M88s improved 'room rejection' would be that much of a deciding factor to get it over the 421 now that I think of it. Im no expert but I feel like the 421 will be adequate enough to reduce room sounds, but hey, I might be wrong. As I mentioned before, I want a dynamic that is able to lower the room tone and interference, yet be detailed, open and sound 'closer' towards the condenser spectrum.

If room sound is any issue at all, then the M88 or the RE-20 would be preferable to the 421. And both reach a little higher in the frequency spectrum, although I don't think the region above 17KHz is particularly useful for vocals. But admittedly I am old school. Maybe people like hearing that in a vocal these days. If they can.......
For studio work, RE-20 is a big and impressive looking mic, and does help a lot with reducing proximity effect (maybe another thing however that is desireable today haha). M88 is pretty generic looking, but does deliver the goods sonically.
Not that it matters, but I prefer the older variants of all three mics. The new ones are not quite the same. But still nice mics.
Main thing is, in a poor room, the M88 will work best, then RE-20. (PM9 better than both on that too, but....) Good luck
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
If room sound is any issue at all, then the M88 or the RE-20 would be preferable to the 421. And both reach a little higher in the frequency spectrum, although I don't think the region above 17KHz is particularly useful for vocals. But admittedly I am old school. Maybe people like hearing that in a vocal these days. If they can.......
For studio work, RE-20 is a big and impressive looking mic, and does help a lot with reducing proximity effect (maybe another thing however that is desireable today haha). M88 is pretty generic looking, but does deliver the goods sonically.
Not that it matters, but I prefer the older variants of all three mics. The new ones are not quite the same. But still nice mics.
Main thing is, in a poor room, the M88 will work best, then RE-20. (PM9 better than both on that too, but....) Good luck
Room sound is a limiting factor but I have 2 rooms I can experiment with. Unfortunately, there’s a lot more mics to choose from!

I’ve been looking further in to the M88 and I’ve read on another post that although it does have nice high frequencies, it can sound muffled and bassy in the lower end. Probably due to the proximity effect, but I’m not too sure.

The PR-40 is another option I’m now considering. how would it hold up in terms of getting that crisp sound I want in comparison to the M88?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiller5 View Post
Room sound is a limiting factor but I have 2 rooms I can experiment with. Unfortunately, there’s a lot more mics to choose from!

I’ve been looking further in to the M88 and I’ve read on another post that although it does have nice high frequencies, it can sound muffled and bassy in the lower end. Probably due to the proximity effect, but I’m not too sure.

The PR-40 is another option I’m now considering. how would it hold up in terms of getting that crisp sound I want in comparison to the M88?
I don't own one, and have very limited experience with them. I have seen and heard them a couple of times. I would call them "super crispy". But again my experience with them is very limited. It does get excellent reviews for the most part. Looks like a very nice microphone. Certainly a more modern design than the other 3 under recent discussion. Seems to be known for quality of both the highs and lows, with what we used to call "presence" and "fullness".
Those two qualities can contribute to a mic having a "big" sound.
I'd say if you have any sibilance, or a "wispy" sound, in your voice then probably the wrong mic. If on the other hand you have a smooth, or a "dark" sound to your voice, probably a good match.

PS The more I look at the PR40, the more I believe it may be just what you want. There is after all sometimes inspiration to be had from working with good tools. If this mic looks like something you think you'd feel good about using, I'd say go for it! Good luck.

Last edited by edva; 2 days ago at 07:32 PM.. Reason: +PS
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I also have a m88tg which is great. You might want to check out the Heil PR31 BW. Supercardiod polar pattern. Nice on toms and guitar cabls
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search