The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm sounding SDC on a $300 budget Condenser Microphones
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Warm sounding SDC on a $300 budget

I have been recording acoustic with an old Sennheiser MD211 and EV RE635 (which is both great), but have wanted to try an SDC. I am looking for something with a flattish frequency response, and warm and open sounding midrange. I have a couple of great sounding guitars and they don't need any help in the upper registers.

Based on GS' recommendations I have tried the iSK Pearl and the Oktava 012, but they both have an emphasis on the high-end.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

My only SDC is a Blue Hummingbird but I am pretty happy with it on acoustic. I feel like all condensers, large and small diaphragm, have a little boost in the high end. This is an example of the hummingbird on the acoustic, pointed at the 12th fret from about a 45 degree angle and maybe 7 inches away:
The Third Thing (Ordinary Prisoner Cover) by Benjamin Da Ass | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Unfortunately, I can't remember what mic pre I used but I am sure I had the high pass filter engaged because I intended on putting a bass guitar track in there and never quite got around to it, hah. This acoustic on this one is with the hummingbird pointing at the bridge:
Doctors 2018 - 11 - 25 Session by Benjamin Da Ass | Free Listening on SoundCloud
That one has the hummingbird going into a Warm TB-12, again with the high pass engaged. I imagine if I leave the high pass off that would be plenty "warm" of a sound but if you want more than that maybe you should look into a ribbon microphone?
Old 4 days ago
How about a new/used SM81? Very nice on acoustic guitar.
Old 4 days ago
This is the one thing the MXL 603 style mics do well. They are so cheap, I recommend finding a used one and trying it.
If you don't like it, see if you can find an Oktava MK-012. Both mics together on the used market should be less than $300.
oops... should have read your complete post first. Surprised you found the MK-012 bright.
Old 4 days ago

Audio Technica seems to have discontinued the u873r... but you might still find one.

-tINY

Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

I will listen to your clips tomorrow, @drsaamah. A ribbon is a good idea actually. At my budget, I might be able to get an Apex 210 as well as the ribbon/transformer upgrade for it.

Never tried the SM81 or U873r. I will look into them
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Another vote for the SM81, it's not bright like many tend to be.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

KSM137 is ok in that price range.
I would look around for a used Josephson c42 or used Beyer MC930. I paid around $300 for each of those no ebay a while back

A decent dynamic mic for acoustic is the beyer m201. They are like $250 new.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhe View Post
an SDC. I am looking for something with a flattish frequency response, and warm and open sounding midrange.
The Shure 137 or 141 pretty much sounds like that, in that price range. Not super-warm due in part to the fast response, but warm-ish, not bright, and a nice midrange. Nothing wrong with a good old 81 either as others have said. Good luck.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, I'll back up the SM137 recommendations for its vintagey vibe in the midrange. The SM81 is a fave for a lot of people for a smooth sort of open midrange.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post

A decent dynamic mic for acoustic is the beyer m201.
Very nice mic and among the warmest of the warm. Not a condenser but worthy of mention.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Sounds like I need to try the KSM137
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhe View Post
I have been recording acoustic with an old Sennheiser MD211 and EV RE635 (which is both great), but have wanted to try an SDC. I am looking for something with a flattish frequency response, and warm and open sounding midrange. I have a couple of great sounding guitars and they don't need any help in the upper registers.

Based on GS' recommendations I have tried the iSK Pearl and the Oktava 012, but they both have an emphasis on the high-end.
One of these is a Neumann KM84 and the other is a 3U Audio Warbler 127 with a cardioid flat capsule (which is his take on the KM84). I've not heard anything closer than this to a KM84, which is a decidedly un-hyped sound.

The 127 is also well within your range. No bigger bang for the buck than 3U stuff in my view.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

@alhe

Here's another comparison of the same two mics.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
One of these is a Neumann KM84 and the other is a 3U Audio Warbler 127 with a cardioid flat capsule (which is his take on the KM84). I've not heard anything closer than this to a KM84, which is a decidedly un-hyped sound.

The 127 is also well within your range. No bigger bang for the buck than 3U stuff in my view.

Why does the stereo image seem to shift slightly back and forth from left to right?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I use mxl 603s because that's all I have and they're bright to my ears like ice picks. Even with the "flatpicker" cap upgrade.

It must be just me because the last acoustic artist that was recorded here loved em.
I wouldn't call em warm though.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Why does the stereo image seem to shift slightly back and forth from left to right?
Not sure what's up, that's not happening here. There's a touch of that lovely Soundcloud compression we all love so much, but nothing odd is happening with the image here.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure what's up, that's not happening here. There's a touch of that lovely Soundcloud compression we all love so much, but nothing odd is happening with the image here.
The recording is just a single mic with no doubling or processing?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The recording is just a single mic with no doubling or processing?
Yes, well, no doubling effect applied. No processing. It's double tracked guitars in both clips. So one mono guitar on each side. In the AB comparison it's a 6 string on the L and 12-string on the R. In the CD comparison it's a 6 string on both sides.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, well, no doubling effect applied. No processing. It's double tracked guitars in both clips. So one mono guitar on each side. In the AB comparison it's a 6 string on the L and 12-string on the R. In the CD comparison it's a 6 string on both sides.
That's what I was thinking. You can definitely hear the effect. Doesn't sound natural.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
KSM137 is ok in that price range.
I would look around for a used Josephson c42 or used Beyer MC930.
This is what I was going to recommend. For an unhyped but detailed cardioid SDC, I don't think you can do much better without spending Schoeps/DPA money.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. You can definitely hear the effect. Doesn't sound natural.
Heheh. Well it certainly doesn’t sound mono, if that’s what you mean.

Planning a pair of doubled rhythm guitars is as commonplace as it gets in music production.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut
The MK012 are really dark for a SDC. But they offer quite a nice and realistic sound. I like them a lot for acoustic instruments. They work well as drum overheads and acoustic guitars. I also added the Omni capsules. I use the omni capsule an put the mic on the floor for drum room. I've also used them successfully for acoustic drums.

I have the t.bone RB500 which is the Thomann in house brand version of the Apex 210. They are dark, really dark. A bit muddy too. They need way more EQ than the MC012 on most sources. They work in taming a bright vocals and work for drum overheads for a more vintage tone. Originally I got them for drum room, but I did not like them for that role. I do not like them on acoustic guitar nor on guitar amps. It sounds too muddy.

Most of the time, I use the MC012 or the SM57 on most sources. With these 2 mics, I am able to cover 95% of the sources.
Old 58 minutes ago
Gear Head

I whole heartedly recommend the Line Audio CM3. Captures my old Martin D18 beautifully, and most anything else. Search here on GS for user comments and if you decide to buy one or two, contact J-P at NoHype Audio, the best dealer anywhere Line Audio - Swedish Made High Quality Audio Products - Available at NoHype Audio
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search