The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer TUBE ULTRAGAIN T1953 vs other mic preamps
Old 6th March 2004
Here for the gear

Behringer TUBE ULTRAGAIN T1953 vs other mic preamps

Have anyone tried TUBE ULTRAGAIN T1953 and how it compares to others like foucusrite, avalon etc.

Seems good for the price..
Old 6th March 2004
Lives for gear

STAY AWAY FROM BERHINGER!!!

As for the comparison...... no comparison.. the only thing worse than that piece is not having a preamp at all.

dfegad dfegad dfegad dfegad dfegad
Old 6th March 2004
Lives for gear

I'd generaly suggest to stay away from cheap (sub $1000/channel) tube pres. There could be some exceptions I didn't think of, certainly not behringer, not TL Audio (burned here).
Old 7th March 2004
Here for the gear

I have option to trade some hardware, to have build custom tube mic preamp by one of the leading tube masterminds in our country.

So its better to go this way as i see.

THanks for warrning me.

WHat do you think about b1, b2, b5 bheringer mic. They are quite ok as i read ? right..
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by miziq
I have option to trade some hardware, to have build custom tube mic preamp by one of the leading tube masterminds in our country.

So its better to go this way as i see.

THanks for warrning me.

WHat do you think about b1, b2, b5 bheringer mic. They are quite ok as i read ? right..
Is this a joke?
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

If you don't get it... stay away from anything Behringer.
Old 7th March 2004
Gear Maniac

If you are going to get a decent mic pre why not use decent mics as well. There ae some decent low budget mics out there, I just wouldn't trust anything by Behringer.
Old 7th March 2004
Here for the gear

all this nonsense bull5hit about Behringer......

I've got a Behringer MDX2600 compressor and a Tube 1951 EQ......both are well made, and do exactly what they should do. For the money YOU CAN'T REALLY GO WRONG..........

They're not really "character" components but they do give very low noise, transparent signal....the tubes add a nice zing of air to things.
Old 7th March 2004
Here for the gear

now who to trust, i`m cofused.....
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

Whenever I use my Behringer 4ch headphone amplifier it becomes clear no musician on earth can play decently while listening through this ****.

It sounds uncolored (at first sight), but the music somehow get's filtered out.
I've had this with other Behringer gear as well (their active speakers eg).

So if you're looking for an anti-music filter, feel free to buy any Behringer component you like - if it is anything like their stuff I know only sound will come through, not music
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

Oh my! Recommending behringer?

Some use it to very unimportant auxilary things and for some live use when really on low budget...

If you want cheap pre that sounds OK look for FRM RNP or M-Audio DMP3 thingies.

Forget about tubes at this price level, just forget... they sound surely worse than similarily priced solid state pres.

M
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

Being here just search the forum for preamps, there are heaps of threads. Don't ask who to trust here, reading this thread. Search, find what could suit you and then order for your own comparison.
Old 7th March 2004
Here for the gear

Ok

i`ll trade some of my hardware and going to have custom made mics and mic preamps. Well this will be quite expensive but it will be first class high end tube designs.

Thanks for all the input and help.

it wil be made by Hajdinjak Labs
www.hajdinjaklabs.com
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

My point is toob is no magic. The most popular pre all around seems to be Great River MP2NV and for ex. Manley Dual Mono Mic Pre is missing in 99% of the preamp recommendations... go figure.

Just buy decent gear not toys if you take sound seriously. Don't forget about second hand... you can get killer gear for 1/2 price if you are lucky.

Don't be hasty too.
Old 7th March 2004
Gear Maniac

The Behringer tube stuff isn't that bad, but you can totally kill something with the "tubes". Be careful. Having said that I think there are other, better choises for the money.
Old 7th March 2004
Lives for gear

I tried out the Behringer tube eq a few years back. At the price, I figured I'd at least give it a shot and see if it was any good at all. It was terrible. I would compare it to a very cheap eq plug in. Harsh and did more damage than good. If you're gonna buy a Behringer, you better plan on keeping it because their resale is crap.

cheers,
Steve
Old 8th March 2004
Lives for gear

Question

Some questions to miziq

What are you planing to record?

What other equipment do you have?

Are you planing to charge money for your services with this equipment?

How much money do you have to spend in total, including the other equipment you need to get.

What are your goals with your equipment? for example, do you just want to get something down at home as a demo for people to hear, that will be redone later at a pro studio, or are you hoping to achive a more final result yourself?

What Im getting at is that without knowing anything about miziq and what he does recomending $1000 per channel pre amps is a bit "pre"mature.

I mean what if his budget is $500, for everything, mics included and he all wants to do is record his voice at home and experiment with this whole recording thing. the berhinger would be just fine

Or what if he is setting up a message on hold service, where his recordings are only heard down the phone line, again, recomending Avalon Manley API whatever is just a stupid waste of money. (unless you fart $100 dollar bills)

Or setting up a school radio station, to be maned and broken by beginners, yeah sure put a couple of GML, 2020's in there.

Not everyone is working in studios at $$$ day rate recording drumkits and amps on 11.

the berhinger is a box, you plug it in, it will raise the level of your mics to line level. the sound wont exactly have George Massenberg and Fletcher banging at your door, but it will work for a number of situations where budget is super tight.

you have asked a bunch of Gearsluts who regularly buy top of the range equipment about a absoulte bottom of the range piece, with a sound to match its low price, so expect some flack.

So depending on what you are doing it might not be good enough or just fine.

They are so cheap you can get one to find out what you think and to get you started at least, when you outgrow it and get something better, use it on secondary stuff, and so on it goes. But dont put youself in a deep finanical hole straight away. Walk before you run.
Old 8th March 2004
Lives for gear

I have found presonus to have the corner on the low end bang for the buck market.

I tried out a blue tube and blue max and eventually traded them for a Focusrite penta, and I sure wish I had kept the presonus units....

Of course, now I have Distressors and Dakings, so the low end market can lick it.

Old 8th March 2004
Lives for gear

I'm thinking this thread is not a joke, and I can't believe it.

I have one of these because a guy couldn't pay his studio time, so he gave it to me instead (I should have tried to milk that stone). I have not been able to use it at all, because it sounds like ass. As a normal preamp, it's almost adequate for anything besides music. But it is not possible to describe how bad this unit sucks when the "tube" sound is applied. the more you turn the tube knob up, the more it sucks, somehow.

I'm thinking I may take the four little mini VU's out and keep them because they're kind of cool, and put the rest of the unit out for Wednesday's garbage...
Old 8th March 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
the more you turn the tube knob up, the more it sucks, somehow.
true!

But I've found it quite useful on bad snare drums.
Old 8th March 2004
Lives for gear

I think adamcal hits the nail...

Well some drum'n'bassists would use behringer to get some angry distortion... I remember about 8 years back there were people using behringer comps to get more intense compression than from their yamaha 03 digital desks. Well and they were on the top of the game in my small country (it was kind of vocal drum'n'bass). I don't know, I like lofi in some way, but not the way the behringer sounds.
Old 8th March 2004
jho
Lives for gear

This thread definitely belongs in the 'between a rock and a hard disc place' forum..
Old 8th March 2004
Gear Maniac

FWIW I tried the Behringer. Kinda came out last in my quicky shootout. I think you get the message Behringer maybe has no chance against the avalons great river etc.

In the end I gave it away to someone starting out, (maybe like yourself?). They will use it until they can tell the differance. I think behringer have there place ..but probably just not in my world anymore.

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search