The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ART TransY FET Compressor
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear
ART TransY FET Compressor

Haven't seen a thread about this yet, and to be honest I'm not even sure if this product has shipped yet.
From the manufacturer:

TransY – Two Channel Discrete Transistor Fet Based Compressor/Limiter – ART Pro Audio

Overview
The TransY compressor/limiter features a discrete, low noise transistor audio path using a Field Effect Transistor for level control producing incredible detail. The unique feed forward detector topology and the servo FET drive circuitry provide a new level of flexibility and tone. The unit can be set to control audio levels from smooth and unobtrusive to full-blown deep sustain.

From the Active balanced input to the transformer-coupled output, the TransY abounds with easily adjustable reliable, repeatable functions due to the attention to detail in the design. The TransY adapts to a multitude of applications with its’ +4/-10 level switch. A wide range of adjustments are available through the front panel controls always producing a musical result. Even the universal power supply adapts to line voltages allowing you to tour the world or connect to portable power sources without interruption.

Apply the TransY as your secret weapon from playing out live to recording and mastering. The TransY can handle whatever you throw at it producing a professional result. Master your unique sound with the TransY.

I think what interests me here in particular is that the accompanying preamps (TransX) have been build with custom jensen transformers, so maybe this product might have a usable output transfo/be alright?
ART gets some love, but also a lot of hate. Given that a lot of people have found the VLA II to be usable, I'm curious if this comp ends up gaining good favor. Putting 4 1176-esque comps in my rig for under 1K is very appealing. The lindell 500 series FET comp isn't overly loved, but this is the only other thing is that ballpark that's both trying to do the 1176 thing for that cheap.

Has anyone tried the TransY yet?
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear
I think you are not going to find output transformers on this unit. If ART has transformers in a device, they advertise that fact. This is one of a new generation of ART products, so it is hard to predict how well it will perform and how it stacks up to other FET limiters in performance. You pay your money and you take your chance on this product. I wouldn’t buy two, I’d try one first.
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I think you are not going to find output transformers on this unit. If ART has transformers in a device, they advertise that fact. This is one of a new generation of ART products, so it is hard to predict how well it will perform and how it stacks up to other FET limiters in performance. You pay your money and you take your chance on this product. I wouldn’t buy two, I’d try one first.
From the website/product description

Custom Output Transformer reduces ground noise and maintains level for balance/unbalanced connections

Which indicates they're not nice transfos, but you could probably put something nicer in?

Also I'm not rushing out to buy two, I was really just speculating on the potential *if* this is a good product.
I made the thread to see if anyone has tried them, as stated I don't even know if they've shipped yet as most places online stores still list as pre-order.
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahBrown View Post
From the website/product description

Custom Output Transformer reduces ground noise and maintains level for balance/unbalanced connections

Which indicates they're not nice transfos, but you could probably put something nicer in?
I went to the website, thinking that you were quoting something related to the new preamp, not the compressor. And...
You are absolutely correct. I was looking at a sales blurb, not the website.
It has an output transformer, which is somewhat astounding at this price point. From my experience with ART gear, I doubt that the transformer is junk. It probably isn’t a “famous company” transformer, but it is likely to be reasonable quality.
And yes, if you are a DYI person, replacing a transformer is much less difficult than modifying a non-transformer circuit to accommodate a transformer. In that one-rack-space box, you might be squeezed for space in swapping in something better.
Damn you! I’m starting to be curious about this box.
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear
Yeah, it seems as though they are pushing the pre-amp more than this box, but I'm very curious! Fair assessment about the 1RU having a tough time to accommodate a big clunky transformer it wasn't designed to fit. We'll see overall! Somebody posted a picture of the inside of the TransX pres, and there were no ICs, and some decent looking components (and of course, the custom Jensen transformers).

I think they just aren't available yet, as Long and Mcquade doesn't even have them in stock (chain music store associated with the parent company, for the non-canadians). My interest is definitely piqued though!
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Something I’ve thought about in regards to this unit is if a 500 series compressor can get close enough to an 1176, then a 1u chassis can fit two. UK sound fit their fet compressor in a 1u rack and it occupys only one half of it. I’m assuming that means a stereo version will also come out from UK sound in the future in the same 1u chassis.

I don’t know if the transY is supposed to be an 1176 style compressor, but I’m keeping an open mind that it could sound really great and be affordable. I’m especially interested in it not just for these two reasons but also the fact I’m no pro and just having fun.

It can’t hurt to order it and send it back if it doesn’t have the right vibe/sound. At least that’s what I’m thinking. Haven’t put an order in yet though
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Instead of opening a new thread, I bump this one. Is there somebody that already tried it and can share his impressions?
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Nut

1200 views on this thread alone tells me people are interested in this product.

ART, are you there? Send us some demos!

I'd love to acquire some ART gear, as it's very competitively priced in Canada, and our dollar is quite weak right now.
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Nut

I went and bought these art units just to satisfy my curiosity. L&M here in Canada has a really great return policy, so I figured to have a go with them.

I did a sort of shootout, it's posted here:

comp shootout - BSS - ART - x32
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I have a demo unit here in my hands currently that i am about to ship out to a customer to demo. I have to say, upon my listening test, for the price.... Not bad at all...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search