The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any of you record electric guitar straight into your interface? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear
Question Any of you record electric guitar straight into your interface?

How do you get it to sound less lifeless and noisy?
Old 12th November 2018

I use the amp sims in Garage Band - they even have post-"mic" reverbs, compressors, and such. Not quite as lively as a real tube amp in a room with actual mics, but close enough for all but the most stripped-down mixes....

-tINY

Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear

Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Bias and others have free amp sims you can try out.

I’ve been liking the Joyo American Sound pedal lately. It’s pretty cheap and sound great on a direct in.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I use the amp sims in Garage Band - they even have post-"mic" reverbs, compressors, and such. Not quite as lively as a real tube amp in a room with actual mics, but close enough for all but the most stripped-down mixes....

-tINY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post

I’ve been liking the Joyo American Sound pedal lately. It’s pretty cheap and sound great on a direct in.
Are these good for clean tube-amp simulation?
Old 13th November 2018
A little background hiss is OK if you tone sounds good.

A tube preamp pedal may be your ticket to glory.

I have never heard a sim or solid state pedal that sounds like a tube pre. Especially for clean tones. I don't know why.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Asking about the pedals? Bassman and tweed copys. Listen to the YouTube videos on the American Sound pedal. It’s pretty good.
Old 13th November 2018
Quote:

What do you mean by "clean tube amp"? Tube amps are never quite clean - that's why they sound like tube amps....

-tINY

Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

What do you mean by "clean tube amp"? Tube amps are never quite clean - that's why they sound like tube amps....

-tINY

I'm mashing the down-vote button on you, m'eighty.
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Head

I run through a pedal board and in clean. Guitar rig does the rest. Sounds just as good as miking an amp to me (and doesn't bother everyone around me).
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear
I don't really like most sims but I have a lot - always willing to try new ones. The Waves PRS has a clean amp that doesn't sound too bad as does the Softtube Vintage amp room-YMMV. I'm sure someone else will hate both of these. A lot of plugs these days have free trial offerings. The Plugin Alliance has several different sims that some speak well of- I find the Chandler limited GAV19T does clean tube pretty well. All the plugins I have mentioned have YT vids of demo so you can get a rough idea of possible tones
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
first thing I would recommend is to check if your interface does have a "high-z" (high impedance) mode.

if not, you´d probably be well off to invest in a D.I. box or preamp that has matching input impedance and can convert your guitar level into proper line level.

this is not a magic bullet type of thing, in my experience - I have had cheap but decent guitars sound fantastic straight into the "wrong" input, and I have also witnessed a 2000€ guitar sound absolutely crap when recorded straight, even though a proper interface input with high-Z mode and sufficient preamp gain was used.

in the latter case, we used an external preamp with a DI input to record the dry sound and then into the amp sims...
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "good" and by "clean".

To my ear, there are three things people use "clean" to mean when talking about electric guitar tones (and of course, these all fall on a spectrum and morph into each other):

1) The kind of "squeaky clean" but not lifeless tones that are easiest to get from a hi-watt tube amp like a Twin or a good solid state amp. The opening lick of Van Morrison's "Domino", for instance.
2) Tones that aren't really clean--they break up audibly if the player digs in at all--but sound that way if you're comparing them to overdriven tones. For instance, the sound of Hendrix's guitar on "Little Wing".
3) in between, the kind of chimey, overtone-rich but breakup-free clean sound that has, so to speak, "juice" but not "hair" on it. Maybe the most perfect example I can think of is the lead guitar on Lucinda Williams' "Metal Firecracker".

In my experience, most amp sims do OK at 1 and 2. The only one I've been able to coax a convincing 3 out of is Scuffham S-Gear.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Here are examples of songs recorded completely direct - no amps at all, just an amp modeling multieffect box to get all the guitar and bass tones.
I used a similar direct amp modeling box for bass too. I love them because you can mix and match your amp and head types and get countless different amp rigs. The rest of the effects like, EQ, Compression, Echo, Chorus, Reverb can be added as needed.
The drums are a drum machine and any vocals are done with a mic of course.

Very little was added when mixing. I may had added a little extra compression or maybe something like chorus or reverb if I didn't already have it when tracking.

The main point of using an amp modeler like this is it lets you find not only a blend that sounds good recording, but a sound that actually feels like you're playing through an amp with the proper string touch and dynamics. It took a long time finding the best way to do it too. I started recording direct back in the 70's when few people even knew it could be done besides people like Les Paul and other pro's who been around awhile. (He built the LP recording guitar for recording direct)

I don't even bother using headphones for anything but vocals anymore either. I model the guitar to sound perfect through the studio monitors and sit in the mix right with all the other instruments and that's exactly what I wind up getting. The thought here being, why capture a bunch of frequencies that you'll only strip out later when mixing. If you hit the ideal target tracking you're only going to need minor sweeting to get a final mix.

Heres a few examples.

Blues Tune - Aint No Love In The Streets by wrgkmc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Clean jangle - All it Does is Rain by wrgkmc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Jazz - Dining On Ash by wrgkmc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Country blues - Again And Again by wrgkmc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Rock - Good News [Master] by wrgkmc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Trance - https://soundcloud.com/wrgkmc/trance...in-yall-master

I used just a few settings on this box https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgL4wvD_BwE

They make another one for bass called the 1B which is dynamite too. I can get some really deep earthquake bass tones that sit in the mix perfectly and not have to spend hours EQing the bass to sound right. I used to use all kinds of high end rack preamps, compressors, EQ, Effects to do the same thing these small boxes can do and even then I still didn't have the amp modeling so getting the cab tones was very difficult. Now if I want a Fender Deluxe tone through a 2 X 12" cab that's what I dial up. Then I select whatever effects I need and I'm spending more time making actual music and far less dorking around trying to get a decent usable tone. You may spend a little time building some presets but after that its simply scroll to the sound you want and hit record. Best part is you know its going to wind up sounding pretty darn decent which is what its all about.

If you don't like the Vox you got Zoom, Digitec, Boss and a half dozen others you can use. You don't have to spend a mint on buying one either. I picked up a Digitec RP150 about a year ago for $30. Its not only got the modeling and effects, its got a drum machine and an audio interface built in. The beats aren't exactly stellar but there's a few I've looped into a song that sounded OK for music writing purposes. if anything its better then playing to no beat or a stupid metronome click. Its hard to dial up a sound to sit right with drums if you don't have drums to set your tone to match them.
Old 16th November 2018
For my home recordings, I tend to use Guitar Rig to get a variety of sounds. I have a favorite amp model that I almost always use. On the other hand, when I record the band in practice, I'm miking the amp with an SM-57.

So I have not been making my home recordings with my tube amp, because it's hard to get a good sound in the basement, and I have many more adjusting opportunities when I use Guitar Rig, with absolutely no live room sounds. It sounds authentic enough for me.

Another point to mention is mic placement for recording an amp. I find that if I move the mic a centimeter, it sounds completely different. Between the room sound and the mic placement, I find it hard to get a consistent sound.

But the amp sim remembers every setting, including sends.

Here's an example. I could also give you a rehearsal recording of the same song playing guitar through my amp, if you're interested.
Quote:
Ball To The Wall | Leon Borden

Ball To The Wall by Leon Borden, released 17 January 2013
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Some ideas... for guitar noise and character.

I record some guitars and basses straight into a focusrite solo. I have had great results by fooling around with the gain staging. I call it bracketing... use different settings on your guitar volume/gain settings... as well as different gain/volume settings on your interface. Very often the lower gain settings sound much better imo. To reduce noise try recording in different rooms using different cable and electrical outlets. You can also use some noise reduction (its in audacity). To make your guitar sound have a lot of character I use plug in distortions such as gx distortions/audacity or jsdistortion/reaper or I highly recommend Guitarix Distortion in Ardour.
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
use an amp amd a microphone.

speakers in amps basically work as a low pass filter, taking off hi frequency that the pick up produces, but the speaker cant deliver. especially 12 inch speakers which mechanically have difficulty moving at hi frequency.

and the right microphone in the right place will help as well.

DI guitars are allways terrible. never had good results that way.

Buddha
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Head
Try putting a clean boost pedal between guitar and interface, and try different settings. I use a Fulltone 2 clean boost. You want to get the impedance to match properly. Don't know what your interface is, but you want Hi-Z input, and IIRC you're looking for 10K ohms. Often a pedal will automatcially give you the higher impedance you want (and some do that even when the pedal is in bypass). So try that first.

If that's not acceptable, then you owe it to yourself to try S-Gear. I've been gigging and recording with it for years... it's the best amp modeling software out there. Clean, dirty, effects, etc. And it plays nice with Cantabile (in fact you can load effects pre and post S-Gear in catnabile). The only thing I've heard that beats it is the Kemper Profiler or Axe FX, and those are 10-20 times the price. Pretty sure there's a free trial.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
20 years of practice?
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Any "low end" tube direct box to give the incoming signal some life and girth?
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post

Yes, can't go wrong with one of these. Analogue dirt rather than DSP.

Old 21st November 2018
Here for the gear
Tried Amplitube a few days ago. It's so much better than logic amp sims, it sounds so lively and amp like. There's no comparison imo. Before there was just a dry D.I.
I was also interested for clean tones, so try it. Custom shop is free.
I think I am going to go for Fender collection 2 next week.
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosapien View Post
first thing I would recommend is to check if your interface does have a "high-z" (high impedance) mode.

if not, you´d probably be well off to invest in a D.I. box or preamp that has matching input impedance and can convert your guitar level into proper line level.
This! Sorry if you already are aware of this, but you need to have the correct input to get the right signal, otherwise you are polishing turds
Old 21st November 2018
Here for the gear

Try preamp pedals as suggested or guitar amp sims! Plugin alliance has the BX plugin free (with non customizable presets) and some of them are quite OK. Also check that you are plugging to a High Z imput or through a D.I. box.
Depending on your interface, you may have such imputs already in them (mine has a D.I. with a "tube simulator" which I've found to be very nice)
Old 5th December 2018
Here for the gear

Check out the sans amp pedal. Although, considering the cost, you could get a decent preamp and amplitube 4.
Old 5th December 2018
I use Amplitube for demo writing and whatnot, but its never on a finished product to be honest. Of the few Ive tried Amplitube comes closest to sounding like my actual rig, and bonus points because they happened to model both my Boss distortion and flanger pretty well. Its fun for playing around but when I have a Marshall JCM800 half stack sitting next to me Ive been playing out of for 20+ years, the sims just aren't quite there yet.. They're still missing the response and that feeling you get from that air moving out of that cabinet when you hit your notes. So far NOBODY has managed to make a Vox AC actually sound like one either.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Nut
only for demo stuff or if it's late at night.

Best results I've gotten in terms of tone is:

Semi-hollow body guitar (mine is an Ibanez AS73) > Warm Audio TB12 (or any API style pre)

To me it sounds very natural and with an amp sim of some kind on it - it works great.
Old 5th December 2018
Currently working on a song where the DI guitar signal is being mixed with a traditional amp n cab mic'd up. For this particular song with deep fuzz it's bringing back a touch of articulation....also used this approach on some Bass recordings.

Some scratch tracks I'll use sims but most times they get rerecorded or reamped.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Be easier to answer if we know what your setup is at the moment.
Then you can have 100 different opinions on what you're doing wrong
Old 6th December 2018
I use BiasFX on my iPad (into a Universal Audio 610) and it sounds great!

I also saw a video where Pete Lesperance from Harem Scarem (a MONSTER player!) was recording direct through an AxeFX II and a high quality tube preamp.... a Manley or something.... He said that it sounded as good as anything he’s ever done through an actual amp.

Chris
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

nvm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search