The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any of you record electric guitar straight into your interface? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 6th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I use Amplitube for demo writing and whatnot, but its never on a finished product to be honest. Of the few Ive tried Amplitube comes closest to sounding like my actual rig, and bonus points because they happened to model both my Boss distortion and flanger pretty well. Its fun for playing around but when I have a Marshall JCM800 half stack sitting next to me Ive been playing out of for 20+ years, the sims just aren't quite there yet.. They're still missing the response and that feeling you get from that air moving out of that cabinet when you hit your notes. So far NOBODY has managed to make a Vox AC actually sound like one either.
Do you then reamp it into the Vox or do you re-record it live into the amp on a separate take?
Old 10th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauslong View Post
Do you then reamp it into the Vox or do you re-record it live into the amp on a separate take?
Do you mean going from a demo to a 'song'? I always make a duplicate song file, and keep the demo titled (DEMO) and Ill just add new tracks to the duplicate. Guitar parts are always a brand new track/performance with my actual setup. I just use the Amplitube parts to play along with..

I DID actually use them in one song a few years back.. But what I did was took like 4 bars of the demo guitar track, turned off the amp sim, and just used the clean direct part with a delay to make an "intro" for the song hehe.
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Addict
The Joyo American Sound .... and for a plug the Nomad Factory Rock Amp.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear
I've never liked the sound of a guitar plugged straight into an interface when recording one myself...It sounds just as you describe to me...I get more body, sustain, etc plugging into a preamp with transformers or tubes and then into the line input of the interface....This coupled with S-Gear has brought me good results.....moon
Old 12th December 2018
There are lots of ways to do this. I've had success with:
* pedal board with a dirt pedal that sounds good (trex, lovepedal, Wampler, etc) followed by eq or cab sim plugin , followed by a good stereo reverb (convolution reverb, waves h-verb, etc)
* amplitube orange, followed by waves v-comp, h-verb
* Plug and Mix Magic Queen vox sim, Soundtoys Little Satchurator, Plug and Mix digital reverb, waves l3 limiter

Mix and match any of the above. The main thing is your skill as a player and your skill as an engineer...
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
DI guitars are allways terrible. never had good results that way.
While the second part may be true, it doesn't necessarily prove the first part. :-)
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict

DI guitars is THE way to make slick disco riffs and muted percussive 80s electro guitars.
Old 14th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
How do you get it to sound less lifeless and noisy?
Gainstaging
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Fender 100 watt tube amp.

2 times 12 inch speakers. and usually a AKG 441

thats my clean rigg. old school i guess.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Any of you record electric guitar straight into your interface?-twin-reverb-100-watt.jpg  
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

if i want some gain and a little bit of tube bite, then i go for the Messa Boogie 22 watt tube amp.

gets the JJ Cale thing happening, and has lots of tonal variations.

underated piece of kit.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Any of you record electric guitar straight into your interface?-messa-boogie-22.jpg  
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

for blues, i sometimes use this old Golden Tone.

30 watts, all tube, and 2 old 12 inch greenbacks. it has reverb and a tube 60s temolo.

if im looking for retro i use this amp. think 60s and 70s.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Any of you record electric guitar straight into your interface?-goldentone-30-watt-tube.jpg  
Old 15th December 2018
Well, I record straight, but I also record the DI signal. Then I reamp through the Kemper afterwards, if needed. Sometimes things are easier to record with a certain sound, and then replace later with the "produced" sound (delays, reverbs, special tricks).
Old 18th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Do you mean going from a demo to a 'song'? I always make a duplicate song file, and keep the demo titled (DEMO) and Ill just add new tracks to the duplicate. Guitar parts are always a brand new track/performance with my actual setup. I just use the Amplitube parts to play along with..

I DID actually use them in one song a few years back.. But what I did was took like 4 bars of the demo guitar track, turned off the amp sim, and just used the clean direct part with a delay to make an "intro" for the song hehe.
I meant do you ever take the clean direct input signal and output it to an analog amp with a mic put up on it. I've played around with this a little. It essentially makes recording your performance and then recording your sound two different steps. So, say you nail the solo but you dont like the tone, instead of having to redo play that solo perfectly, you just output the DI signal into amp, put mics up on the amp and re-record that part. You can play it through and move the mic around mid-song to get whatever sound you want.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear
I found a good strategy for recording noisy Strat (Squier) pickups straight into my UMC204HD. I use the second position at the bridge with the most treble and least noise. Cranked everything up, so when I record it, there's more treble than I would like. Then I use my Izotope De-noise plugin and that invariably takes a lot of top end along with the noise so I end it with a thick tone that I like. I would throw up a sample, but y'all would just roast me.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

I've tried a bunch of different things over the years and recently just got a Mooer Radar which has a power amp sims, cab sims and mic sims and you can add your own impulse responses. Pretty cool little box, but for me nothing beats putting a mic in front of an amp. it's not that it necessarily even sounds better in a mix, but I enjoy playing it more and I think that leads to a better performance. It is great to have options though.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

I love the mercuriall stuff. Surprisingly nice di guitar tracks
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut
I've got five or six guitar amps - never use them any more (for studio work). I track with an unprinted guitar amp just so I can get an idea of the finished sound. On my old Steinberg UR44 I used to use the Yamaha classics dsp effects and then something else in the mix. Today (on UAD) I usually track through the (magnificent!) Fender 55 - the weird thing is, I used to have access to a real Fender 55 in a practice studio I used in the 1980s - and didn't like it! I love the UAD plugin!

I also used to hate amp modeling - however I think it's reached the point now where you don't need an amp - it's that good. Modeling amps are amazing as well - they used to sound thin and nasty. Not now. Even though I love my Blackstar, it still doesn't get a look in when tracking.
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

Thats all I do, I just use a lot of pedals, and sometimes crank the gain on UAD unison preamps. It sounds great to me! Guess I'm a weirdo for that and using flatwound strings.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I found a good strategy for recording noisy Strat (Squier) pickups straight into my UMC204HD. I use the second position at the bridge with the most treble and least noise. Cranked everything up, so when I record it, there's more treble than I would like. Then I use my Izotope De-noise plugin and that invariably takes a lot of top end along with the noise so I end it with a thick tone that I like. I would throw up a sample, but y'all would just roast me.
Trying to get my head around why the pups would be noisy without being plugged in to an amp. Have you tried recording everything a bit quieter then maybe boosting as required at a later stage?
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Trying to get my head around why the pups would be noisy without being plugged in to an amp. Have you tried recording everything a bit quieter then maybe boosting as required at a later stage?
Boosting it would just raise the noise floor. It's a cheap Squier guitar into a cheap interface. A no win situation. I tried moving things around and playing with the settings for a few months. I really need a nice amp.
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

I really like the sound of the Waves PRS plug in, but the latency drives me crazy for live recording. I go directly into a Focusrite ISA one pre-amp and then work on the tone using the PRS plug, the results are great. That doesnt work for me if i have a specific tone in mind and you play into, replicating the playing approach/attack to a specific effect using a straight dry tone can be difficult.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Boosting it would just raise the noise floor. It's a cheap Squier guitar into a cheap interface. A no win situation. I tried moving things around and playing with the settings for a few months. I really need a nice amp.
Frustrating. But a new amp won't sort the guitar if it is that.
I've had cheap squires and the electrics leave a lot to be desired so always upgrade them. But never had a noisy one - thin, weak, whatever, but not noisy.
You can get really good pups these days stupidly cheap. You can even buy a loaded pickguard with decent pots for the price of a good night out.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Maniac
I use an 1073 style pre w the eq and make liberal cuts in the low end and at 700 hz. Maybe boost a little in the highs. Run it into some kind of 1176 or la2a. But that’s for a real specific sparkley kind of d.i. tone. I find a di’d electric usually has way too much information in the midrange so cuts there usually help a lot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Not using the DI on your interface would be my #1 suggestion. Get a real DI box or preamp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
Not using the DI on your interface would be my #1 suggestion. Get a real DI box or preamp.
Can you recommend a Low End DI or pre for single-coil guitars?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Can you recommend a Low End DI or pre for single-coil guitars?
I have a Radial active DI, but there are plenty out there. If you have passive pickups I'd look at an active DI. I never use a DI for electric guitars (bass, yes) but I run through a Neve clone 1073 and use the DI on that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
How do you get it to sound less lifeless and noisy?
I used to sometimes. I have a ULN8. It has a real nice couple of DIs. So I plug my guitar in really quick and dirty. And record some basic stuff. Then I’d re-amp it later with my Axe Fx. It was really cool.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 3 weeks ago at 06:18 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
I've gone straight in after a boss metalzone (MT-2). It was noisy but that was the effect I was going for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

A dry DI track on it's own, no pedals, no outboard gear, will always sound horrible. That's just how it is. If you prefer to do it like that, get a good amp sim. You can also re-amp that original track through an actual amp, and combine it with your track going thru a sim.
The guitar plugins that come with your DAW aren't at the level that high end sims are at, I use Amplitube 4 Max. Most of my recordings are done thru that sim and no one can ever tell. On driven tones, it sounds better than my real amp.You can alter your signal chain, pedals, room size, cabs, and amps. The room size aspect is amazing, better than any reverb plugin I have. IMO. Plus you record a section, put it on a loop, and play with hundreds of presets until you find your tone.
I mic a tube amp too, but by the time I run lines, mics, positioning, tone control, etc, the neighbors are home and I have to turn it down.
As other posters said, a preamp or boost pedal will also help. I'd also get a DI box.
TH3 and Scuffman are good too, even waves GTR is OK if on a budget.

Also that noise you're hearing is probably because you're blasting a low recorded signal, or faulty trs cable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Get yourself a little Behringer DI20 (about £20) and use that, the ground lift switch gets rid of the buzz on my cheap single coil guitars. The added bonus is I then go in via a mic pre rather than the hi-z interface which gives a tad more warmth - especially after I've put the UAD 610 on the insert!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search