The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If I could have only one mic (under 2k), what would you recommend?
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Nut

I don't have access to these mics.I am in southern Europe and afaik there is only one distributer in Portugal.No European store offers them.The fact that these mics are rather "budget tube microphones" does not help either.Any problem with these mics and I will have to send them many thousands of miles throughout this nice blue planet.And not enough of this fact..add tax,vat etc to this.Is this really that much cheaper and better solution than a Sony c100;Btw,Thomann offers them for 1400€ including shipping and 3 year guaranty.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegean Blue View Post
I really read a lot of very good things about the new Sony c100

Looks like exactly the thing I am searching for.

Quote:
I don't have access to these mics.I am in southern Europe and afaik there is only one distributer in Portugal.No European store offers them.The fact that these mics are rather "budget tube microphones" does not help either.Any problem with these mics and I will have to send them many thousands of miles throughout this nice blue planet.And not enough of this fact..add tax,vat etc to this.Is this really that much cheaper and better solution than a Sony c100;Btw,Thomann offers them for 1400€ including shipping and 3 year guaranty.
I think you just answered your own question.
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Nut

@ edva

Indeed! And thank you again for your clear and helpfull answer.I will go for this mic.I also just have seen that Warm Audio will release its 251 clone in february.I guess I will get both mics.Still on budget.Great times for musicians.
@ edva

Can you imagine that the UA2610 is a "good match" for the C100;
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ edva

Indeed! And thank you again for your clear and helpfull answer.I will go for this mic.I also just have seen that Warm Audio will release its 251 clone in february.I guess I will get both mics.Still on budget.Great times for musicians.
@ edva

Can you imagine that the UA2610 is a "good match" for the C100;
I don't think you can go far wrong with that Sony mic. i haven't used one, but I would think it has to be, sonics aside, of the highest quality.
With regard to the sonics, from everything I've read, they are "reference quality", i.e. nothing added, and nothing extracted.
The only caveat there o fcourse is that you'd best have a very good source to begin with, or at least a source that already sounds the way you like. Because it seems this mic will only expose, not cover up.

With regard to the UA 610, I had one, and sold it. I did not think the tone was "high end" just as a manner of speaking. It was well constructed, and affordable, but just did not give a sound that appealed to me as much as other pre's I own or have owned or used. Nice but not great would be my opinion. And just my opinion, YMMV.
If you want a "colored" pre to go with that super pristine mic, perhaps look at Aurora, or Neve, or Great River, or Pacifica, or Juggernaut, or etc..... again, just my opinion, and YMMV. Good luck.
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Nut

Okay @ edva ..thanks again for your advice!
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

+1 Aurora.

IMHO AA makes fine microphones, and their version is closer to the Sony-than Sony's own C100! I'd give Dave Thomas a call, he's a really cool guy.

I'd expect the AA 251 to be somewhat better than the Warm too.
Hey Jack Douglas bought a second one (!).

If you wanted something a bit warmer (than the Sony), put the Lewitt 940 on your shortlist.
Chris
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks for your advice @ chessparov ..I read a lot of good things about the AA stuff but never saw anything of it in Europe.It is really not easy to get this gear here.
Old 30th December 2018
Here for the gear

Neumann

TlM 103, combined with a AMS Neve 1073 preamp !
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Sure thing Aegean. Don't laugh-but another cool vocal mic, with a bright top end, is the Beyer M88TG. TLM 103 too, if paired with a Neve (or API) style pre, as the previous post mentioned.
Chris
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Nut

To be honest I prefer the tlm 102 much over the 103.I used the latter for years but almost never for vocals,not even for rap.Thr 102 is "nothing special" but it can sound nice on some voices and I like it a lot for backing vocals and I love it to record some traditional instruments like clarinet,flute etc..I know the m88.It is indeed a good mic.
Old 31st December 2018
Deleted 80fad10
Very versatile Mics I had (or still have), used and was satisfied with:
sE2200 (Mod.2017)
AT 2035
Beyerdynamic M88
Neumann TLM 102
Mojave 201 FET
AKG C414 XLS

All way under 2000$

I would get a hand full of good quality mid price mics instead of one 2000$ mic. Gives you more options and an overall better sound.

For under 2000 bucks it would be: (in€)
sE2200 - 222€
sE VR1 - 399€
sE 8 pair - 375€
Beyer M88 - 279€
Beyer M201 (2x) - 398€
Shure SM57 - 99€

= Great, versatile, small mic locker!
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Nut
GZ251 on vocal...if you want 251 clone.
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv View Post
GZ251 on vocal...if you want 251 clone.
not a 251 clone, but the capsule is tuned to share qualities of a 251. Terrific mic at only $599. Just got one and can't praise it enough so far.
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
not a 251 clone, but the capsule is tuned to share qualities of a 251. Terrific mic at only $599. Just got one and can't praise it enough so far.
My bad, that's what i wanted to say... soundwise close to 251.
I don't care if it sounds indentical to 251 or not, it sounds good for every price and for 599$ is deal!
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Nut

I try to figure out a question and need some help..

I am looking for a "counterpart" to my WA47 which is a great mic for the vintage "darker" side of things and during the last days I decided to go for a 251 clone-either GA or WA(most likely)- which can give me a nice warm bright vintage kind of thing but I also would like to have a bright,modern C800 style of mic..

So here is my question:Buying a C800 clone(like the AA cm800) and a (good) 251 clone is a good idea?Are these styles "different" enough to justify it to spend money on both?Or is the difference between these mics (C800ish and 251/C12)very small and one of these would "do it all" ie delivering a "bright,warm & nice" sound?

My budget is around 2000€.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Nut

I seen that Dave can mod the 251 mic with a switch to C12. No idea what the difference are tho.

Quote:
I try to figure out a question and need some help..

I am looking for a "counterpart" to my WA47 which is a great mic for the vintage "darker" side of things and during the last days I decided to go for a 251 clone-either GA or WA(most likely)- which can give me a nice warm bright vintage kind of thing but I also would like to have a bright,modern C800 style of mic..

So here is my question:Buying a C800 clone(like the AA cm800) and a (good) 251 clone is a good idea?Are these styles "different" enough to justify it to spend money on both?Or is the difference between these mics (C800ish and 251/C12)very small and one of these would "do it all" ie delivering a "bright,warm & nice" sound?

My budget is around 2000€.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Nut

Hi Mattias,

I don't believe that in this lower price regions the differences between 251/C12 clones are that big.Most of all if these mics are from the same maker.

I am more interested if it is worth to invest into two different "more bright/top end"-mics which have nevertheless their strengths in certain styles (like one "modern/honest"-c800ish and "vintage flattering"-251/C12 kind of difference)..

I am not sure if I can expect these fine (but with top class mics clearly audible) differences from low budget mics.I might get a AA CM800 and a WA251 only to find out that differences are very,very small..to negligible to spend for two mics.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Nut

Yea i have no idea if the tiny difference really make any differens for you.
Are you gona use it for vocals only or?

Quote:
Hi Mattias,

I don't believe that in this lower price regions the differences between 251/C12 clones are that big.Most of all if these mics are from the same maker.

I am more interested if it is worth to invest into two different "more bright/top end"-mics which have nevertheless their strengths in certain styles (like one "modern/honest"-c800ish and "vintage flattering"-251/C12 kind of difference)..

I am not sure if I can expect these fine (but with top class mics clearly audible) differences from low budget mics.I might get a AA CM800 and a WA251 only to find out that differences are very,very small..to negligible to spend for two mics.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Nut

Yes.Mostly vocals for female rock/pop and make rnb/hip-hop.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Head

So, what about Slate/Antelope/Townsend labs modeling mics—maybe even the lesser known WeissKlang V13? Another somewhat versatile option to consider might be a mic with more than one analog voicing built in (eg. Lauten Eden or Atlantis).

I am a newbie in this area, but what I read about is that in doing a shootout on a specific singer, it is very common for a $200-$500 mic to beat a $2000-$5000 mic; so then assuming the setup is intended to cover multiple sources, with a fixed $2000 budget, one would statistically be better off with 4x to 10x mics totaling $2k than one mic totaling $2k.

Last edited by yhomas; 18th February 2019 at 03:21 PM..
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Addict

One microphone for everything is ... not a good idea. For a start, even just one mic for all drums is going to suck.

But okay, I’ll play. Go for a sensitive, fairly neutral stereo condenser. I mean, it will ‘do the trick’ for a number of purposes.

Eh. Nah. Just get (at least) a few different mics, and go from there ...
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspace View Post
I’m thinking about taking a plunge and buying a high quality mic that is versatile to use on vocals, electric guitar amps, acoustic guitars, and even as the only mic on a drum kit.

I have mics, but none of them are high-end.

I’m looking to get one that is an all-purpose workhorse (or simply high quality and versatile).

I have a home studio. I’m not a pro. I want to make my recordings special, though.

Thank you,

Chris
me personally?, I'd say Telefunkin AR51
Honestly, I'm shocked that more people haven't suggested the sm7 or sm7b given it's wild popularity here on GS
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

If I were a multi-instrumentalist, in addition to a singer...

Like jdier said-Soundelux U195, used 441 (along with a Shure 58/57) would cover things nicely for me.
Chris
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
If I were a multi-instrumentalist, in addition to a singer...

Like jdier said-Soundelux U195, used 441 (along with a Shure 58/57) would cover things nicely for me.
Chris
How would you compare the U195 with the Se? thanks...
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry, haven't tried a SE 2200 yet. I do believe the Bock statement "Built to a sound, not to a price", to be genuine though. Chris
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear
Good quality results across the board
441 or CM67se. Depends if you want to mess is a tube power supply that has remote pattern control or if you want a mic that does not need power. Both under $1,000

At $3K: U87 used
At $6K: U67
AT $500: M88

If you like ribbons, any of the 3 workhorse ribbon: 4038, 84, 121. If you are only using the one mic as the result, a ribbon could be perfect.

If it's for voice with non-talent (They don't know how to use a mic): KSM8 forgiving mic.

There is no one size fit's all. But a U87 is the most commonly used mic for the one size fits all type. A tube clone of that mic is about as good as you can get for $2,000. ie the CM67se
Old 19th February 2019
You could get some used C414s (a couple teflon EBs, or like 4 of the new ****tier ones), or a pair of the multipattern Lewitt LDC mics of your choice, or you could build a small mic locker for US $2000.

Especially if you look at good cheap options like the Lewitt LCT 440 (or 441 Flex for multipattern), any of the multipattern Warblers, sE Electronics 4400a or sE T2 (can be had for $350 or less used), Advanced Audio if they'll build custom stuff (like the CM47 FET with a K47 capsule interested of the AK67, and negative feedback to the CM87, etc.)

3U Audio's Warblers could easily be used to make a small mic locker.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Sorry, haven't tried a SE 2200 yet. I do believe the Bock statement "Built to a sound, not to a price", to be genuine though. Chris
Yes most mics are out of my price range. You know there was a theory of how Geffel technology made it from the euro east bloc to China. In this theory some capsule, diaphragm, solid state circuit technology made it to the east. BUT the different technologies were not the 'correct' parts for one specific mic. Although they worked the components as a whole were not 'balanced'. This is interesting of why (possibly early Chinese mics had horrible problems (usually in the high shelf). Then at some point (years later this was noticed and started being corrected) I have heard some old Chinese mic components re-fitted with the correct components and to me they are as good as any. I will try to find some history. Anyway Shanghai electronics is like at the end/top of that German to Shanghai food chain. I like transparent / flat / accurate mics. And Se is pretty cool and cheap.

"Microtech Gefell still produces the M7 capsule in exactly the same way Georg Neumann taught the elder Kühnast in the 1940s"

Se: Mic Manufacturing In The Far East |

Somewhere within this time...

"The original company, Georg Neumann & Co. (in Gefell), continued to develop microphone technology, with a focus on broadcast and measurement applications. The company name changed in 1972 to VEB Mikrofontechnik Gefell, following the GDR’s prohibition of use of the family name.

In 1989, Georg Neumann GmbH (Berlin) was foundering, but established contact with MTG and began distributing the Gefell line of microphones. But by 1991, Neumann Berlin faced bankruptcy and was soon sold to Sennheiser. MTG set up its own worldwide distribution network."

Read more: Microtech Gefell Microphones | RecordingHacks.com

"the “Gefell branch” of the Neumann family introduced Neumann capsule and mic designs to the Chinese as part of a technology exchange program"

Yahoooo! I found it read this! This is GOLD if you are into microphone technology:
--->>> Why Many Condenser Mics Are Too Bright and Sibilant | SoundBetter
for me this a must read multiple times

Mistakes are made in history but we can still get the spoils...of others mistakes.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Guru
Man that article makes me miss M Joly even more! Class act......
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Man that article makes me miss M Joly even more! Class act......
is that the M Joly / Earthworks (mics) ---- ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search