The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recapping DBX 900 Modules
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Recapping DBX 900 Modules

I have a handful of DBX modules that have gone "thin." They lack bottom end, so I suspect they need new caps.

Can anyone who has recapped a DBX902 or a Dynafex MC101 let me know which caps generally go bad on these? I'd rather not be shooing blind and replacing ones that don't need to go.

I certainly COULD pull each cap and put them, one at a time, on my cap tester, but I don't have time for that. I barely have enough time to buy and hookup new gear, let alone ever get to the fixer-uppers that are constantly littering the back shelf.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I haven't worked on them but a quick glance at a schematic suggests that I'd be looking at C7/C8 which are both 4u7F 25V non-polarised electrolytics. If they get dry, they will create a 2 pole HPF higher than you'd like to hear!
C23 is the same component though may be less critical but for 20p you may as well change that too.
Others worth changing might be C9/C12. 22uF electrolytics that seem to be output push-pull bootstraps but I'd need to stare at it longer to work out their proper purpose.
Older electrolytic capacitors, whatever their purpose might need attention after a decade or 2. It's worth replacing any other electrolytics that are power filtering while your soldering iron is switched on. (C24/5/6/7)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Holy cow! Thanks so much for taking the time to look at the schematic and post a reply. That's exactly the info I was hoping for.

Ryan
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search