The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Equator Audio D5 Repair needed
Old 4th October 2018
Here for the gear

Equator Audio D5 Repair needed

I have a pair of EA D5s. In the past few days, one of the tweeters quit.

Now I know EA is no longer in business.

If I can get the speaker shielding off to access the guts of the drivers, can anyone recomend an fairly compatable tweeter?

If I can't get the speaker shielding off, can anyone recomend 5" coaxial speaker as a replacement?

Cheers
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Kelly,

Do you know for sure that the tweeter itself is broken?

I had one that was shipped to me that was not working properly, basically a sound I first thought of as crackling, and when I contacted support they said it could have been an issue with the connections inside on the back. I got a good description of the issue and some photos, and then proceeded to re-seat a metal piece inside a connector and the speaker was back to functioning 100%.

Just want you to know if you didn't already that sometimes the problem isn't the most "apparent" one.

As for a replacement tweeter.... I wouldn't even bother. To me one thing I loved about the Equators for the price was the imaging and the midrange clarity around the crossover point. I would assume that swapping the tweeter on one of the two would just destroy the image for you.

For replacement 5" coax speakers I've heard good things about the Presonus. There's at least one thread about them here. And perhaps there is another speaker as well to look into. I think Philips (!) has one that seems like a pro speaker, and is coax. Not as many reviews on those though.
Old 4th October 2018
Here for the gear

Howdy,
No, I'm not sure of anything other than the tweeter isn't working. I took them apart and re-seated all the connections. I haven't tested that yet. It occurred to me that might fix it. There were no precipitating events to the tweeter going down that I know of so a loose connector seems possible.

I hate to abandon gear and tend to repair things until they can't be repaired any longer.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

To be clear: It was more than just reseating the connector. Inside the receiving female end of the connection there are metal pieces that touch the pin when the pin is inserted. In my case, if I remember correctly, one part had sort of slipped out of a groove or whatever it was, and it was a bit fiddly re-seating it. If you want I can dig up a picture and send it to you so you can see. I'm working right now but I can get that out this evening.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

To be clear: It was more than just reseating the connector. Inside the connector there is a metal clamp. In my case, if I remember correctly, one part had sort of slipped out of a groove or whatever it was, and it was a bit fiddly re-seating it. If you want I can dig up a picture and send it to you so you can see. I'm working right now but I can get that out this evening.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Just got a few more minutes before I have to get back to work.

I attached the photo I got from Equator support. It's a tiny clamp that wasn't seated properly. If you open up your back be careful when you take the connector out, because the clamp may fall out and then you'll have to replace it with something....
Attached Thumbnails
Equator Audio D5 Repair needed-d5-loose-clamp.jpg  
Old 4th October 2018
Here for the gear

OK, I get it. Thanks for the info. I'll take a look tonight.
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

I tested the amp and both drivers last night. The tweeter is either dead or the connection is bad. The speaker's shield doesn't allow access to the tweeter and I can't figure out how to get it off. I'm not sure how to remove or loosen whatever is holding the shield in place. I'd prefer not to destroy the entire assembly but I may down the road.

In the meantime, I guess I'll start thinking about cannibalizing everything and make something new with the box and amps. 5.25" coaxial speakers that aren't intended for cars are hard to come by.
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

I tested the amp and both drivers last night. The tweeter is either dead or the connection is bad. The speaker's shield doesn't allow access to the tweeter and I can't figure out how to get it off. I'm not sure how to remove or loosen whatever is holding the shield in place. I'd prefer not to destroy the entire assembly but I may down the road.

In the meantime, I guess I'll start thinking about cannibalizing everything and make something new with the box and amps. 5.25" coaxial speakers that aren't intended for cars are hard to come by.
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear

FWIW, I purchased a pair of Dayton Audio 5.25" coaxial speakers. They fit the box fine, the front bezel not at all, and sound close to the original drivers. I think the dayton drivers had a bit more upper-mid detail but overall fairly close to the originals.

I a/b the replacement speaker with the original working tweeter and the difference is subtle. I'm happy with it.

Dayton Audio CX150-8 5-1/4" Coaxial Driver with 1" Silk Dome
Dayton Audio CX150-8 5-1/4" Coaxial Driver with 1" Silk Dome Tweeter 8 Ohm
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting... Thanks for sharing!
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear

They're on sale right now also! I didn't get them on sale, but that's show biz.
Old 25th April 2019
Here for the gear

MattiasNYC, I have the same issue, where the tweeter just does not seem to be working at all. Marty at equator audio had recommended the same fix. He mentioned using a paper clip to adjust the female pug. I'm just not sure what I should be doing to adjust the pressure for the connection. It seems to be seated properly, but the green plugs connections seem ever so slightly different than the red/black connector. Not sure if I shoud be putting the clip, or bobby pin in my case against the back side, the insert hole or this other little tiny hole. Any thoughts? I tried emailing equator to see if anyone was home, but no dice.
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

I actually don't really understand what you mean. Equator is done, gone, so no surprised you got no response.

What I would do is just look at the thing and think about which parts need to conduct electricity. They need to connect. Just do what's necessary to make that happen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search