The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL 305P MKII vs Adam Audio T5V
Old 4th October 2018
Here for the gear

JBL 305P MKII vs Adam Audio T5V

Looking to buy either the JBL 305P MKll or Adam Audio T5V. Based on online reviews, these look to be excellent sounding studio monitors, even at a lower cost. Anyone compare the two? Your thoughts? Which would you purchase?

Did a search and surprised there is no comparison between these two.

Thank you ahead for your feedback!
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Adams. Both are great for the price actually. I just really enjoy the ART tweeters.
Old 5th October 2018
I use the 306p mk II, they are awesome for the price range. I did like the Adams T7V, but i chose the Jbls over them due to my own preferences. But i think either one you choose would be a great choice so you can't go wrong either way.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

I retired some time ago and sold my more expensive monitors, eventually settled to ADAM T5V´s and I´m happy with the sound I get from those
with a generic subwoofer and Sonarworks.

Matti
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

I would personally say spend a little more money and get at least the 6" JBL MKII's. My audio professor told me that you'll lose the ability to properly mix to a finer quality if you go below 6".
Old 5th October 2018
Fro me, i am a fan of the JBL's. I've been usuing them for over a decade and i love them. I do not use the ones you want, but JBL makes great monitors. I use the 4326's with a sub for mixing.
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Head

About that tweeter. I know what ribbon-mics sound like. They muffle and truncate voices a bit especially in the 'S' es and transients. It's a bit weird. Is this how the adam's with ribbon tweeters sound like for vocals?
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSampling View Post
About that tweeter. I know what ribbon-mics sound like. They muffle and truncate voices a bit especially in the 'S' es and transients. It's a bit weird. Is this how the adam's with ribbon tweeters sound like for vocals?
No.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokterrock View Post
No.
HI. I got my set of t5v today. And yes they do. Not as much but there's def somehting weird going on in some mids-midhigh frequencies that are not getting enough bandwidth to reproduce. Synth snare with a gate is easy to recognise problems.

The T5 look so smart and cute from the front. But their sound is a bit too tame.. I should be playing a bit liouder tomorrow. because i s nighttime now. To test. It can easily win one. of tbe best hifi speakers bang for the buck award rhough.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
HI. I got my set of t5v today. And yes they do. Not as much but there's def somehting weird going on in some mis-midhigh frequencies that are not getting enough bandwidth to reproduce.

The T5 look so smart and cute from the front. But their sound is a bit too tame.. I should be playing a bit liouder tomorrow. because i s nighttime now. To test. It can easily win one. of tbe best hifi speakers bang for the buck award rhough.
Have you tried the +2 switch for the HF on the back?
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokterrock View Post
Have you tried the +2 switch for the HF on the back?
No not yet. i wanted to try them on neutral settings first. To compare against the 305p (by memory btw. had the 305 few weeks back). First impression is these sound a bit too tame. My wording would be. Neat. And a bit weird in the mid-treble range. Snares with a gate effect sound a bit muffled.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

The tweeters need to be played in for some hours

Matti
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
The tweeters need to be played in for some hours

Matti
I had an extended listening session for 5 hours straight on the t5v yesterday. At moderate to louder volume (compared to others these are normal volumes I never listen very loud) the issues seemed to be gone Way more enjoyable!

On some tracks the highs can be very harsh reminscent of the yammie hs80 which I owned for 12 years.

Today they seem fine overall. Perhaps the tweeters needed a little break in and or my ears got used to them. The T5v outperform the 305P in some ways. But I enjoy both of them. The bass-end seem the most noticible difference. The 305 are best for dance Eurohouse as the T5V can become very harsh in the treble and mids at louder volumes. Also the Adams sound more clean sitting straight in front of them. The 305P sound a bit chaotic when directed straight at you. But sound clean when directed a bit past your ears.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear
I love the transaprency of the T5Vs - but - I can only stand an hour or so in front of them before my ears are ringing like a bell - they are very detailed but brutal to my ears. I tend to mix on my cloudy dull old M-Audio BX5s - which I can listen to for hours with no fatigue at all - and then switch to the Adams for detailed stuff. I wish I had gone for the JBLs for the slightly softer top-end. I've actually stuck some accoustic foam over the T5V tweeters in a bid to take some of the harshness away!
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

I use T7Vs every day, many hours a day, for regular listening as well as recording/composing. They are extremely detailed considering the price, but I would not blame fatigue on the speakers directly. One thing is that detail can exacerbate sibilance, and another is that I think the waveguides on these are not especially forgiving of room acoustics. With fiberglass panels at the reflection points, I am very happy with mine and don't have fatigue issues.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
I retired some time ago and sold my more expensive monitors, eventually settled to ADAM T5V´s and I´m happy with the sound I get from those
with a generic subwoofer and Sonarworks.

Matti
Updated the sub to a EVE Audio sub ( bought used) and get good results from around 30 Hz to the top + / - 2db in my somewhat treated room with Sonarworks, no harsh treble. Very happy especially considering the cost of the paggage - OK had the room treatment and Sonarworks already.

Matti
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had an extended listening session for 5 hours straight on the t5v yesterday. At moderate to louder volume (compared to others these are normal volumes I never listen very loud) the issues seemed to be gone Way more enjoyable!

On some tracks the highs can be very harsh reminscent of the yammie hs80 which I owned for 12 years.

Today they seem fine overall. Perhaps the tweeters needed a little break in and or my ears got used to them. The T5v outperform the 305P in some ways. But I enjoy both of them. The bass-end seem the most noticible difference. The 305 are best for dance Eurohouse as the T5V can become very harsh in the treble and mids at louder volumes. Also the Adams sound more clean sitting straight in front of them. The 305P sound a bit chaotic when directed straight at you. But sound clean when directed a bit past your ears.
I went through an interesting transition with my first set of really nice mains.
It was easy to see (know) they were much higher quality reproduction than I ever had previous, but it took a while to settle in on their sound qualities.
Now, would that be the speaker 'settling in, or me, settling in to the speaker?
I figure more the latter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

i´m looking for a smal monitors for my home setup and now it seems that it´s going to be either these Adams or JBLs. I have a about 30m2 untreated apartment, my desk is infront of a window and there is going to be roughly 45cm of space behind the monitors.

I don´t need to do any critical mixing at home as i have another space for that, but i´m getting these for producing/ monitoring/ listening.

Any reasons i should choose/ forget one of these?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search