The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Keystep + beatstep? I need a portable controller with aftertouch! Keyboard Controllers
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Keystep + beatstep? I need a portable controller with aftertouch!

Hi everyone,
Newbie here. I'm a pro classical musician but new to electronic music. I want to dive into it while I'm away from home for sometimes months at a time.
I don't plan to use the controller in an analog way, it would be only used with DAWs.
Portability is key. It can be 37 or less, mini or not, but aftertouch is a must.
I had first bought the Arturia Keystep and loved the way it played. The thing is it doesn't have pads, faders and knobs and I need that if I don't want to adjust everything with a mouse or trackpad. Could I buy the Beatstep with it and if hooked together (or separately) they would be the equivalent of a keyboard controller with knobs and faders? Sorry if that seems like an obvious stupid question but I'm a newbie and not sure of connectivity issues with these 2. I looked at the ports on these 2 and I'm guessing they would need to be hooked individually to my computer via USB?
I mostly want the beatstep's knobs to be assigned to software instruments' parameters that I will be able to modify in realtime while playing the keys on the keystep. Perhaps also as mixing tool.
I think my only other options are the Novation Impulse 25 but I read it's cheaply built and the Novation SL MKii is a bit old and the octave buttons are too small and in an ackward part of the keyboard. I also read about the Roland A-300 Pro but it's a bit old and when they don't update their drivers it becomes useless.
Thanks in advance for your help!..

Last edited by turbotoon; 5 days ago at 01:48 PM.. Reason: not the right forum?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search