The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie MR624 or Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Mackie MR624 or Yamaha HS7

I have been searching for a pair of monitors for the last three months. I'm stuck between Mackie MR624 and Yamaha HS7. A pair of any of these is about the same price so I only care about sound quality for mixing/mastering. I will be using them for hip hop, trap and black metal.

Any suggestion will be helpful especially if it comes from personal experience.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

What made you narrow your choices down to those two; just the price, or other things as well? I'm not knocking your choices. I'm just curious.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I was trying to find the best quality for the amount of money I am willing to spend. At first i had settled for the Yamahas because of the flat response but they seem to lack a considerable amount of bass. The Mackies go a bit lower but i cannot find a frequency response graph to know if they are just as honest as the HS7s.
My other choices were JBL LSR308, Mackie MR6 MK3, Mackie MR8 MK3, M-Audio BX6 Carbon and M-Audio BX8 Carbon; but i don't think any of them can compete with those two.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Mackie MR824 - 400euro(ok);
Presonus Eris E8 - 500euro(ok);
Fluid Audio FX8 - 700euro(good);
EVE audio SC208 - 1100euro(this will make you very happy)

They all go down to 35Hz. (for hip-hop you should be able to hear pretty low to get those kicks right)

Or a 2.1 system, so you can hear down to 27Hz: JBL LSR305 + JBL LSR310S(sub) = 200+345 = 545euro.

PS: If your room is not treated do NOT waste time with speakers that go low. You will NOT be able to mix well. In this situation buy the JBL 305/Yamaha HS7(heard excellent EDM mixes done on HS7), and get the bass right on a pair of headphones. This would be my advice.

Cheers!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

They do go down to 35 but which one translates best? My room is not too big and it is untreated so i would prefer a 6' woofer. I am planing to install some bass traps and acoustic panels later on and then buy a subwoofer.

Also I have Shure SRH840 to check the lower frequencies.

I don't like the construction of the JBLs they don't feel sturdy at all.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woompa View Post
They do go down to 35 but which one translates best? My room is not too big and it is untreated so i would prefer a 6' woofer. I am planing to install some bass traps and acoustic panels later on and then buy a subwoofer.

Also I have Shure SRH840 to check the lower frequencies.

I don't like the construction of the JBLs they don't feel sturdy at all.
The Eves 208 translate excellently. Those are the winners, but 2x your given budget. You can get the smaller Eve Audio 207 or 204. Even the 203s translate very well on 80Hz+. Assembled in Germany, QC in Germany, parts made in China. You can profesionally mix on this. I suggest to leave mastering to somebody else doing this exclusively. It's the profesional approach. If you'll treat the room and get a sub later on pick the Eve 207 or the Yamaha HS7 for now. Ideally, for a small untreated room the Eve 203 are excellent for what they are(from 80Hz+ frequencies), just not worth it adding a sub. You have to compromise somewhere, as you can see.

This guy produces tracks for clubs and radio using the Eve 207+Eve sub TS108(selling for around 650euro) and very happy with the combo: Matteo beliEVEs in SC207 & TS108 - YouTube
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I really liked the EVE 207s but unfortunately they go above my budget..and given my future plans i think a smaller woofer for a lower price will be a waste of money.

I think I'm gonna stick with the HS7s then.

Thank you for your answers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woompa View Post
I really liked the EVE 207s but unfortunately they go above my budget..and given my future plans i think a smaller woofer for a lower price will be a waste of money.

I think I'm gonna stick with the HS7s then.

Thank you for your answers
Those HS7s are a safe bet, heard pretty good mixes through them, so they do deliver for what you pay, that's for sure. Cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search