The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Processing Saxophones in a Pop Mix Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Help Processing Saxophones in a Pop Mix

Hi there,
I'm working on a home project in Cubase, and just looking for advice on mixing Saxophones (eq, Fx, panning, etc), in song similar sounding to The Housemartins / Dexys Midnight Runners.
I realise every mix and song is different and there is no one glove fits all.

Here's what I've got:
1. Mono Drums (Kick, snare, mono OH)
2. Bass
3. 2 x seperate Guitar tracks (jangly)
4. Main Vox
5. 2 x Backing Vox tracks
and
6. 3 x saxophones tracks (seperate Alto and Tenor Saxes playing similar riffs)

Any suggestions on how to fit the Saxes into this mix would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks.
All the best.
Old 6 days ago

Plate reverb.

If there is a lead sax, pan it center and EQ to taste. Put the harmony saxes on a fairly heavy pan L/R.

The hard part will be getting the saxes and the jangly guitars to work together....

-tINY

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's what I've got:
1. Mono Drums (Kick, snare, mono OH)
2. Bass
3. 2 x seperate Guitar tracks (jangly)
4. Main Vox
5. 2 x Backing Vox tracks
and
6. 3 x saxophones tracks (seperate Alto and Tenor Saxes playing similar riffs)

Any suggestions on how to fit the Saxes into this mix would be gratefully appreciated.
Mixing is not visual. You cannot post numbers and know how to mix an instrument in the song.

We need to have access to the entire mix, to know what to do. we have to hear it, not see it.

Any comments without having access to your mix is just guessing and doesnt do you any good
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
more trumpet and trombone.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Ya, there is no standard way to do it. It’s a matter of knowing how to use eq, compression and stereo imaging, and sculpting the sound to taste depending on how the original recording sounds, and the desired sound in the song.
Some ideas are are panning, haas effect, chorus and copying the tracks and slightly detuning them. These tricks can help make it sound fuller.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Many thanks for your replies.
Really just looking for generic starting points as I have never tried mixing Sax before.
All the best.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Since I play sax I've experimented quite a bit. A lot of making them fit is the initial recorded tone. Remember that sound doesn't come strictly out of the bell except on the very lowest notes so put a flat mic at least a foot away from the middle of the horn. I use an AKG 414. If you're mixing three saxes, I'd try panning them 10 o'clock, noon and 2 o'clock. A bit of ambient verb makes them sound livelier. The main thing is just to experiment. Best of luck with your mix!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
You can also try doubling them and offsetting slightly for pads to sound bigger. I agree with a little delay reverb and panning. What a treat working with horns......
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search