The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are the strengths and limitations of an entry-level Channel Strip (i.e. DBX 286) Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What are the strengths and limitations of an entry-level Channel Strip (i.e. DBX 286)

Would they offer significantly better preamp quality than a $200-300 audio interface with an integrated preamp?

If you could rate the quality from 1 to 10, 1 being an intregrated preamp and a 10 being a $2000 channel strip in a pro studio, where would a entry-level preamp channel strip typically end up?

How does the value and convenience of having an all-in-one weigh against the more modular approach of just buying each effect separately? Is buying a compressor separately a bad dollar to performance ratio?

I consider myself someone who wants better quality than an amateur home studio but isn't necessarily thinking about building a $20000 studio either.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are the strengths and limitations of an entry-level Channel Strip (i.e. DBX 286)
Would they offer significantly better preamp quality than a $200-300 audio interface with an integrated preamp?
no, there would be no significant sound quality improvement form an entry level channel strip and an entry level sound card. move into the 1K range for significant improvements.

With that said, here are 2 things:
You can get GREAT FANTASTIC sounds from a $200 audio interface and a $99 mic.
You can get significant sound quality improvements from improving your recording techniques
Quote:
I consider myself someone who wants better quality than an amateur home studio but isn't necessarily thinking about building a $20000 studio either.
The difference between amatutre and pro studio is that one makes money and one doesn't. You do not need 20,000 in equipment to make great sounding songs. Who ever told you this is DEAD wrong!! All you need is talent and skills. so this is what i suggest you build on.
You can get pro sound quality with a free DAW, a $200 sound card, $99 mic, $99 midi keyboard, $200 guitar, $400 monitors, & some cables to connect everything
Quote:
How does the value and convenience of having an all-in-one weigh against the more modular approach of just buying each effect separately? Is buying a compressor separately a bad dollar to performance ratio?
Everyone workflow and personnel preferences are different. I like everything separate. I think you get better quality form having everything separate. I do not like channel strips. I like have a unit that serves one function. this is easier for me. for someone else, this may not be their personnel preferences. you have to go do it and see what you like
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Yeah. I think the channel strip I mentioned seems to be better for voice work than musical work (i.e. a podcaster/Youtuber/streamer/voice over actor) that wants to just buy one thing that gives them all the effects they need for their own voice and be done with it. It doesn't seem to be for people that want to constantly grow and expand their studio. And it especially doesn't seem good for a music studio because the needs for a music studio are much more complicated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minervx View Post

If you could rate the quality from 1 to 10, 1 being an intregrated preamp and a 10 being a $2000 channel strip in a pro studio, where would a entry-level preamp channel strip typically end up?
You can see a lot of videos inside pro studios on youtube. I don't think I've seen one channel strip, unless you count mixing consoles.

The biggest difference in preamps is probably when you add transformers. Transformers make things sound different. For any given application that might or might not be "better."

When I look at compressors by price, I see that the middle is around $1,500. I don't know what the difference is between the compressor in the $200 dbx unit and one of those $1500 compressors, but I would bet it's pretty significant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What instrument do you want to use it on? I think it might be cool; I think of equipment not sounding intrinsically good or bad, it just has a sound. In the right setting, that sound might be great.

The only way to know is to try.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Consider getting something like the Apollo Arrow (on up)>Mac or PC with Thunderbolt. Starting cost $1000+ complete for both. Make sure to check out the system/compatibility requirements, so you can be up and running smoothly.
If I recorded others, this is the setup I'd get.

FWIW I just use a budget Laptop plus Bremmer's Multitrackstudio (excellent effects/processing!) and Audacity for editing. Along with a couple of budget
>$100 USB interfaces/2 input. My Mbox2 Mini is still cookn', just like Warren Huart's in his "Produce Like A Pro" YouTube videos!

Choice of microphone(s), will tend to make the biggest sonic differences.
Being a total microphone junkie, I can't just have one!
Cheapest vocal mic (used) I can recommend, is the AKG D790, they currently run around $60 or less. Much less fussy than a 57/58 as to "which pre".
Fooled more than one Pro "gearhead"/AE, who thought the sound was from a $1000+ LDC.

A close buddy of mine, who is much better than me at recording, only uses his trusty U87 now for his studio vocals. Both are valid approaches, especially if you buy wisely. FWIW over the years, came out around $1200 ahead buying/try/selling different microphones. That way I got a "paid for" education, learning which ones worked the best for me.

Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
What instrument do you want to use it on? I think it might be cool; I think of equipment not sounding intrinsically good or bad, it just has a sound. In the right setting, that sound might be great.

The only way to know is to try.
vocals
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For your "first LDC" then, you may want to consider
one of the 3U Audio CM-1'S. $129 on eBay.

For a multi-pattern, either a Miktek MK300,
or Studio Projects CS5. Each around $300, both excellent IMHO.
Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search