The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why hasn't a company made a modern 8 to 12 track tape recorder?
Old 28th September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
I mean, we have the technology. I was looking at simple 4 track cassette recorders on Ebay, god, the prices have gone up. A few years ago I bought a Tascam 424 MKIII cassette 4 track for a hundred bucks, and sold it later for a hundred as well, now they are over 200 and up for goodness sakes.

We used to have people mixdown to vhs. The dream of a new machine is so obvious.

A new type tape cassette similar to a vhs tape form, but smaller with a half inch or three quater inch tape that could do 8 to 12 tracks of audio.

You would of course make it able to sync to the computer. You could have a removable tape head assembly and they could sell replacement cartridges you could pop right in.

I mean, the Tascam 388 was it? That was half inch 8 track? You could sell tapes that would be say, 15 minute tapes so that the cartridges could be even smaller than vhs were. The company would make the machines and the tape cartridges and the replacement head cartridges as well. Include a simple analog mixer like was in the cassette 488, maye 6 track recording at once.

I think if some company could make a recorder like this for say, 700 dollars they would sell a million of the damn things.

It would have the same quality as the old Tascam 388 or even better, a completely new design tape cartridge and replacement recording catridge and easy sync with a daw, and maybe a higher version with a digital mixer and better pres built in and effects for around 1200 dollars.

The way old used cassette recorders are selling on Ebay I believe a company that could design something like this would make their money back easily and make themselves rich. I know I would save my money like crazy to buy one.

Just search around the net for Tascam 388 recordings, then imagine that sound in an all new recorder with newly designed catridge tapes like vhs and new replacement record cartridges with easy sync to daws, it would be a dream come true.

No dealing with feeding reel to reel tape, just pop that smaller vhs 20 minute tape in like a cassette and go.

Just dreaming I guess but UAD already makes outboard gear, can you imagine if they created an all new half inch 8 track using today's technology with all newly designed tape cartridges? What a dream.

ive carried around the same abrasive noise tape i made when i didnt have a synth, recorded to four track, for twenty years just to hear it again.
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
That they used a proprietary "Beta" type format was a colossally inept move. Why the hell didn't they just use Beta tapes? It confounded me when I had the MG1214. I think that was one of their downfalls.

Having owned both the Akai and an ADAT, I applauded Alesis that they chose to let users use stock S-VHS tapes.
Videotape is very unsuitable for quality audio for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that the tape is extremely thin compared to audio tape.
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Head

My guess is... its like trying to sell a steam engine. theres just no money to be made.
Old 30th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Totally missing the point of the thread.

Digital vs Analogue is old, and a useless discussion on this board. People have their preferences, and the reasons are numerous and not all about sonics to be perfectly honest. Personally i love tape, but i also love the DAW. Hybrid set-ups are very common now. Tape will not go away. When the machines are all dying (and there's plenty of lifetimes in a well maintained machine if the owner is willing to do the leg work).....then someone will step in to solve the problem. We may see new machines, but it will probably be niche, unless demand ramps up, and if there's demand, there will be a product. Whether these things every get massed produced once more, it will be someone like Behringer with mass production clout who will be doing the manufacturing, for better or worse. For all the naysayer talk, it will happen if there is a user base waiting with money. There may also be those weirdos who just get up and do it. Hell, I've been thinking of doing it myself. If you have skills, and the knowledge, then things are possible.
Maybe some new, yet unknown technology that uses mechanical, magnetic capture and playback, doesn't use tape and is relatively inexpensive to manufacture.
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOQuantity View Post
Videotape is very unsuitable for quality audio for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that the tape is extremely thin compared to audio tape.
I think the 1000s of people who ran ADAt studios in the 90s would disagree, as woudl those who mastered to to DAT. The tape moves very slowly, is in an enclosed container, and doesn't need to be as robust at tape moving at 15ips and being handled.

the thickness of the substrate further has no effect on the thickness of the oxide layer.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMacMac View Post
Tape? Really?

Wait ... lemme go trade in my car for a horse and buggy.
Tear out the toilets and buy some nice bed pans.
Dump this here computer and get an adding machine and a typewriter.
Quit my job in tech and become a black smith.

Yep, that's the ticket.
I'm dumping my acoustic guitars - no 1700s technology for me!
I'm dumping my electric guitars - no early to mid 20th century technology for me!

From here on out...it's only this guitar!

No acoustic/electromagnetic instruments for me!

It's only pure digital from now on...because anything else would be just like driving a horse and buggy!

Who's with me?
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Tape will be outlawed, and probably soon. There'll be digital for everyone, and digital only.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Tape will be outlawed, and probably soon. There'll be digital for everyone, and digital only.
It's more like media and production/reproduction systems have lifespans, and to preserve the content and information it has to be transferred to current systems for wide distribution and availability, and to preserve for posterity.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
wearing a chip on your shoulder is not a good look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buja View Post
I'm dumping my acoustic guitars - no 1700s technology for me!
I'm dumping my electric guitars - no early to mid 20th century technology for me!

From here on out...it's only this guitar!

No acoustic/electromagnetic instruments for me!

It's only pure digital from now on...because anything else would be just like driving a horse and buggy!

Who's with me?
I am sure that in the 1940's, some acoustic guitar player had the exact same whine about electric guitars - or tape vs phonograph - that you now make with digital gear. Considering how recently ago that was, it is astounding to me that you cannot see the irony of your position.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
wearing a chip on your shoulder is not a good look

I am sure that in the 1940's, some acoustic guitar player had the exact same whine about electric guitars - or tape vs phonograph - that you now make with digital gear. Considering how recently ago that was, it is astounding to me that you cannot see the irony of your position.
I didn't embrace most audio gear changes ..starting when studios dumped tube gear. By '69, that gear was in dumpsters. Next major change, integrated circuits ..which changed the sound even further. And so on.
Old 1st October 2019
7+1
Lives for gear

remember this floating around....
Attached Thumbnails
Why hasn't a company made a modern 8 to 12 track tape recorder?-imgext.jpg  
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Guru
Piano wire was great because you could use it as a garotte on clients that don't pay....
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I didn't embrace most audio gear changes ..starting when studios dumped tube gear. By '69, that gear was in dumpsters. Next major change, integrated circuits ..which changed the sound even further. And so on.
Nobody forced me to throw my tube gear in the dumpster. And in fact, I did not. Same with many people I know. We did not get "arrested" for it either. I am not talking about "changing sound" or the superiority or inferiority of older gear vs newer gear.

I am talking about the whining.

Your not being strong enough to resist the benefits of the new technology is not the same thing as some mysterious "They" forcing you to use it.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nobody forced me to throw my tube gear in the dumpster. And in fact, I did not. Same with many people I know. We did not get "arrested" for it either. I am not talking about "changing sound" or the superiority or inferiority of older gear vs newer gear.

I am talking about the whining.

Your not being strong enough to resist the benefits of the new technology is not the same thing as some mysterious "They" forcing you to use it.
I've used it all ...recorded every way that exists. And still use some new stuff. It's all good.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
What you wrote is astounding to me because there is no "irony" in my statement (thank you Alanis Morissette!) and because you cannot see the sarcasm in my position.

TRANSLATION:
New technology does not automatically make the previous technology bad or obsolete or useless regardless of "how recently ago" the new technology was introduced.

For example, one can still enjoy acoustic guitars AND electric guitars AND MIDI guitars just as one can still enjoy analog recording.

The "analog recording as horse-and-buggy" argument is ridiculous.
So if someone enjoys oil painting rather than Adobe Illustrator they might as well go drive a horse and buggy?
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buja View Post
What you wrote is astounding to me because there is no "irony" in my statement (thank you Alanis Morissette!) and because you cannot see the sarcasm in my position.
I think the sarcasm in your position is just as easily construed as a whine. Oh boo-hoo, you won't let me have a second dessert? Oh well, I guess I will just have to starve to death then.

Quote:
For example, one can still enjoy acoustic guitars AND electric guitars AND MIDI guitars just as one can still enjoy analog recording.
enjoying them and getting a modern level of expected work done are two different things! If your rock band's followers expect power chords and wailing solos, your acoustic guitar really is a "horse and buggy" in that situation.

Quote:
The "analog recording as horse-and-buggy" argument is ridiculous.
I don't think so. For example, you can still "enjoy" riding in your horse and buggy. For fun. On a warm sunny day.

But unless you live in a rural area, you may have trouble commuting to work on time in your buggy. You may find your buggy cannot handle a full load of gravel without snapping in two, and even if it can, your horse may have difficulty on that big hill coming back from Home Depot.

What you do for fun is your affair. For some of us, recording, editing, and mixing for clients is not a hobby or a recreation. The expectations we now work under may indeed make certain older technologies unwieldy and slow. Which IMO, makes the analogy valid.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As I walk down this bloc in NYC, as I do most mornings, I am often passed by a number of horse & buggy rigs. They exist because they are quaint & novel in this day & age. Interspersed among the horse & buggy rigs are many more cars, trucks, busses and all manner of gas powered & electric powered vehicles filled with people that need to get to work or are at work. Nobody in their right mind is trying to get to midtown from New Jersey in a horse and buggy. They are obsolete. I don’t record rock music and appreciate the greater fidelity and less noise of digital. There goes a horse and buggy right now getting ready for a day of fleecing (err...entertaining) tourists.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

VHS hifi I presume, or Super vhs, doesn't make sense to me. You do not get any tape. compression on a vhs. Does the Tascam 242 have the tape compression feauture?

I always wondered why only r2r and never micro cassette recorders have any tape compression. Such a missed opportunity. MC cassette would be so more enjoyable with it. I do own a tascam 238 8track in excellent no scratches condition and it works. Never checked for tape compression.

Also OP the prices in the US seem to be still fair. In europe is where priices go over the top.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I also believe the trained technicians to maintain and repair tape recorders are now going exrinct. Maintanance of the heads and correct alignment of tapepath is a professional skill. And you need all kinds of toools for it like an osciloscope and the original manufactured alignment tapes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSampling View Post
I also believe the trained technicians to maintain and repair tape recorders are now going exrinct. Maintanance of the heads and correct alignment of tapepath is a professional skill. And you need all kinds of toools for it like an osciloscope and the original manufactured alignment tapes.
Hope not, but that seems logical.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSampling View Post
If you get involved with tape machines, at some point you have to learn this stuff. It's not rocket science, and it's still going on as we speak. Not extinct just yet. Alignment, maintenance and all the other fun stuff still happening in the real world.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search