The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading Interface/Preamps from a Zoom r16 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Upgrading Interface/Preamps from a Zoom r16

Hey guys, how's it going?

I am currently using a zoom r16 as my audio interface. I was considering adding external preamps or just getting a new interface.

Are the converters on the zoom a bottleneck? Would it be worth adding external preamps?

Any external preamps you'd recommend under $1000 that'd give me atleast 5 channels?

If the zoom is going to hold me back too much would the focusrite clarett 8pre be a significant upgrade in terms of preamp quality and converters?

Thank you so much!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I've heard recording done on those before which sounded amazing.
If you have audio quality issues its unlikely the interface that's at fault.

Many people who record themselves have a hard time recognizing the elephant in the room, even when the thing is sitting in your lap.
The facts wind up being just like they say, garbage in, garbage out. You can chase the dragon thinking that next piece of gear is going to get you those magical recordings, but you need to be honest and recognize its far more likely just temporary inspiration derived from the new gear you bought that makes your musical performance sound better, not actual improvement in fidelity.

I haven't heard your recording of course, but I been recording long enough to know where the traps and snares reside. Sales people are constantly going to tell you your gear sucks and you cant possibly make great recordings low cost gear. Its a line of crap they been using as a marketing strategy forever. You need to get your head OUT of the gear and put it IN the music instead. Does matter if you're a performer or not, you need to see the gear as a carpenter see's his tools.

Unless those tools are busted a Hammer or saw shouldn't make you question your skills as a carpenter. Sure, something bought at a dollar store might not last, and one custom made might be ergonomically more comfortable, which might explain their price ranges. Otherwise its not the hammer that drives nails, its the man behind that hammer.

Same thing goes for music. So long as you own any one of the hundreds of interfaces being sold at low and medium costs, you'll have the tools to do the work. From there its the man behind those tools which will know how to pound nails with it.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I get what you are saying although it comes across a little condescending.

I've achieved some good results with the zoom and I'm thankful for what it's done. Although, the preamps are very noisey and I'm sure they aren't top notch. So I'm looking to upgrade preamps and possibly my interface while I'm at it. Got any advice?
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoorstudios View Post
I get what you are saying although it comes across a little condescending.

I've achieved some good results with the zoom and I'm thankful for what it's done. Although, the preamps are very noisey and I'm sure they aren't top notch. So I'm looking to upgrade preamps and possibly my interface while I'm at it. Got any advice?
You're correct. I used to have an R8 and the preamps are noisy. I usually just record acoustic guitar and my voice, and the noise was very distracting.

There's a lot of options out there these days. It kind of depends on your budget, how many inputs, and whether you want sends and returns for outboard gear or more channels, etc. There are some nice options from Audient, Tascam, and more in the $200-300 range. Getting things like sends and returns puts you around the $500-600 range.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Maniac

I had an R16 as well. I now have an ART Tubeopto8, and use the analog outs into a mixer or eight channel interface. Totally professional results.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search