The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you ever route your sends to pedalboards? And return them as tracks? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Do you ever route your sends to pedalboards? And return them as tracks?

I've been thinking of sending some of my recorded tracks back out into the analog world through a pedalboard and then returning them via an input... is this safe and even more importantly will this sound better than digital effects> I know itll caus some latnech...

I want my sends and returns in ableton to be guitar pedals... just for now anyway.... is this completely dumb> IS essentialy reamping...

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro40, withe TRS line outputs, I honestly don't know if they are balanced or not...

IT it bettter to leave them in their line level TRS format when recording them through an input? Or would it help to use a DI box to convert it to balanced?

I really want to be able to record a bass and guitar track DI and then loop the track and fiddle with the effects as I master....

BTW someone told me the Tech21 SANSAMP GT2 was specifically designed to be used before a DI box is this true? Should stompboxes ever be used before DI boxes?

Last edited by Spano; 1 week ago at 11:00 AM.. Reason: i wantd to add more
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There is no wrong way to make music. Experimentation is how we stumble upon greatness, so go for it. Im pretty positive the saffire has balanced ins/outs, just keep an eye on your signal levels.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

a Radial EXTC really takes the level-matching hassle out of this. but I’m using a lot of Strymon these days which take line i/o no problem
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Yes. I have a dedicated 'pedal loop' off my D-A convertors, all inputs and outputs are labelled in the I/O setup for easy routing in Pro-Tools.... output off the pedals is patched into a Hi-Z (high impedance) input of one of Avalon 2022 preamps then back into the A-D convertors. It's great!! To me it's just as easy as using a pedal plugin in Pro-Tools
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
Yes. I have a dedicated 'pedal loop' off my D-A convertors, all inputs and outputs are labelled in the I/O setup for easy routing in Pro-Tools.... output off the pedals is patched into a Hi-Z (high impedance) input of one of Avalon 2022 preamps then back into the A-D convertors. It's great!! To me it's just as easy as using a pedal plugin in Pro-Tools
Do you use a re-amper to match the impedance of your DA output to the first pedal, or do you not worry about impedance and just lower the volume?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

nah, I just made a custom cable to increase the impedance after the D-A output, before hitting the pedals.... works the same as a re-amp box minus the cost... little bit of signal drop as it's not a true Balanced>UnBalanced signal, but it doesn't alter the quality of the signal
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Depends on if it's an insert effect or an effects send return effect.

You need to know the difference.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I know what I NEED to know for this to work.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

i just bought an Apogee Ensemble with two inputs having 1/4 inch sends and returns, I was thinking about setting up my guitar mic with this and putting the pedalboard in to the send and out to the return
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

After you get bal/unbal and levels sorted out, you may need to match impedance.

I shake a hollow gourd filled with eyes of newt and possum feathers in a precise pattern over the offending unit, but if your ears hear any problems, you might want to read up on "impedance mismatch."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search