The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Passive Rackmount Stereo Mixer Mixers (Analog)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Passive Rackmount Stereo Mixer

Hi,
I was discussing in another thread and got onto this subject, thought I’d create its own thread so it would be more relevant. I know it’s not typically done here’s what I wish to do. The most Mics I ever record at once is 3 for drums (2 overhead and 1 bass drum). I’m thinking of buying an SPL GoldMike 9844 which has two channels. I want to get that preamp to upgrade my existing one to get some better sound eventually. There are two ways I’m thinking of doing this and I know both are not ideal but they’re what I can get. Option 1: I use a passive mixer to mix the three Mics, pan one overhead right, the other left and the bass drum mic center, then I take the stereo outputs of such device (let me know which models, preferably low price but not so bad they’ll ruin the signal) and input those into the 2 channels of the 9844 to amp the drums as a whole, this doesn’t bother me I know some advice against it. Since the mixer is passive it wouldn’t do anything to the signal but pan them and mix them into 2 right? Option 2 (this is probably the worst option): I use the ART TubeMix I have but bypass its preamps then send it to the GoldMike because now it’s been panned into 2 (can this be done 100% without it ruining the signal before going into the nice GoldMike preamp?), however this way the EQ onboard the TubeMix it will not be used well because it’s going first, the signal wouldn’t be amplified yet. In the first option I’d have this mixer after the preamp to use its EQ but not its preamp, would this just slightly drive certain frequencies with the ART complementing the preamp or completely remove the effect of amping it with the SPL?

Thanks a lot and let me know of anything I didn’t explain well and I’ll try to rephrase more clearly!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyAb View Post
Hi,
I was discussing in another thread and got onto this subject, thought I’d create its own thread so it would be more relevant. I know it’s not typically done here’s what I wish to do. The most Mics I ever record at once is 3 for drums (2 overhead and 1 bass drum). I’m thinking of buying an SPL GoldMike 9844 which has two channels. I want to get that preamp to upgrade my existing one to get some better sound eventually. There are two ways I’m thinking of doing this and I know both are not ideal but they’re what I can get. Option 1: I use a passive mixer to mix the three Mics, pan one overhead right, the other left and the bass drum mic center, then I take the stereo outputs of such device (let me know which models, preferably low price but not so bad they’ll ruin the signal) and input those into the 2 channels of the 9844 to amp the drums as a whole, this doesn’t bother me I know some advice against it. Since the mixer is passive it wouldn’t do anything to the signal but pan them and mix them into 2 right? Option 2 (this is probably the worst option): I use the ART TubeMix I have but bypass its preamps then send it to the GoldMike because now it’s been panned into 2 (can this be done 100% without it ruining the signal before going into the nice GoldMike preamp?), however this way the EQ onboard the TubeMix it will not be used well because it’s going first, the signal wouldn’t be amplified yet. In the first option I’d have this mixer after the preamp to use its EQ but not its preamp, would this just slightly drive certain frequencies with the ART complementing the preamp or completely remove the effect of amping it with the SPL?

Thanks a lot and let me know of anything I didn’t explain well and I’ll try to rephrase more clearly!

This is sounding to me like you might want a DIY summing mixer. Search that, here and on the google, and see if that is a solution for you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks, I found this which is almost what I need: How to Build a DIY Passive Summing Box – DIY Recording Equipment but is there a way to make them where you can pan the inputs to one or the other 2 outputs (or center) like with stereo? He leaves out panning and says it’s complex. Are there also none DIY versions of this so I don’t screw it up but if not that is a great idea.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I guess what I’m looking for is a passive stereo (maybe Rackmount) summing mixer new or used at around $300, anyone know of any? Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Anyone have a schematic for a stereo passive summing mixer where you can pan the inputs to the left or right outputs (or both being center)?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyAb View Post
I guess what I’m looking for is a passive stereo (maybe Rackmount) summing mixer new or used at around $300, anyone know of any? Thanks
Samson SM10 Stereo Line Mixer | Sweetwater
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Thanks looks good!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search