The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How are Klark comps compared to Warm? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Question How are Klark comps compared to Warm?

A $100-400 less, but is it worth it?

looking at the 2A and 1176

They both need to make an SSL bus comp.
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
A $100-400 less, but is it worth it?

looking at the 2A and 1176

They both need to make an SSL bus comp.
I haven’t read a direct comparison the two. The Klark is now actually a Behringer, but I’ve seen some reports that the Klark is very good. I don’t know, it’s an opinion of another person.
One slightly cheesy way to decide is to order both, try them, and send one back. Some internet retailers don’t seem to care.
The one time I did that I ended up keeping both units. I tell myself you can’t have too much good hardware. I lie to myself all the time.
Old 4th August 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
The Warm stuff works as advertised. Some people that claim to have them love the Klarks. I'm sure both would work and sound like an LA2A or 1176. The resale value of the WARM should hold steady, while future Klark hardware may drag down your older Klark unit if Behringer does what they do. It isn't a major problem since we are talking of losing a hundred dollars or so, but it is a thought.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Search here, lots of stuff. Few users have said the Klarks are indistinguishable from their actual 1176 units so there's that. I have 2 EQP-kt's and 1 1176-kt. Don't know about the Warm but you can't go wrong with Klark's 10 year warranty...
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Search here, lots of stuff. Few users have said the Klarks are indistinguishable from their actual 1176 units so there's that. I have 2 EQP-kt's and 1 1176-kt. Don't know about the Warm but you can't go wrong with Klark's 10 year warranty...
Yikes. Now I want a Klark Pultec.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

The Pultecs are pretty similar, though I didn’t get to put them side by side.

The 1176s are very similar too. The KT is a little leaner and a little brighter. The Warm has a little more body and a little smoother high mids. I kept my Warms.
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
The Pultecs are pretty similar, though I didn’t get to put them side by side.

The 1176s are very similar too. The KT is a little leaner and a little brighter. The Warm has a little more body and a little smoother high mids. I kept my Warms.

did you test klark76 vs wa-76 side by side ?

its a little strange since others are saying the opposite that wa-76 are the brighter ones
and klark is the closest to the ua 1176

the pricing is pretty much identical in my country so it doesn't matter who i choose of the two, i just dont want to end up with a bright sounding 1176 clone
thats a no go on vocals for me
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Nut
I have the Warm and I don't think it's bright at all. My daily setup is a TLM 103 (everyone says it's the harshest, grossest mic of all time) into the TB12, and then into the WA76 and honestly the results are a little DARK. Zero sibilance problems, sometimes I add some air to it, but not all the time because I like the warm vocal sound. Usually I can just scoop out some 200hz and smile at how good it sounds after that one move.

My buddy just bought the Klark and is always over here telling me how much better it is, haha. Maybe I'll have him bring it over for a test and I can post what I hear.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCReef View Post

its a little strange since others are saying the opposite that wa-76 are the brighter ones

the pricing is pretty much identical in my country so it doesn't matter who i choose of the two, i just dont want to end up with a bright sounding 1176 clone
I did yeah. And I had the same reaction. I’ve read other people saying the Warm was brighter. Definitely not the case in the units I had. The KT was absolutely the leaner/brighter of the 2. It was me and another engineer listening blind on multiple sources.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenolan View Post
I have the Warm and I don't think it's bright at all. My daily setup is a TLM 103 (everyone says it's the harshest, grossest mic of all time) into the TB12, and then into the WA76 and honestly the results are a little DARK. Zero sibilance problems, sometimes I add some air to it, but not all the time because I like the warm vocal sound. Usually I can just scoop out some 200hz and smile at how good it sounds after that one move.

My buddy just bought the Klark and is always over here telling me how much better it is, haha. Maybe I'll have him bring it over for a test and I can post what I hear.
Same. I’ve owned and used Mohog, Urei, Hairball and UA and soon as I got my first WA76 a few years ago it struck me that it lived on the smoother side of the 1176 spectrum. I love that about them.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The warm audio is not as edgy sounding as the Klark, and whatever they’re doing with the gain stages sounded quieter. I would use the Klark for snare, guitar, and probably not have much of a problem with it. I probably wouldn’t track with one on vocals, but I might mix through one. Just my take. This is not a “diss” on the Klark...I would have loved for there to have been something so cost effective when I was starting out.

Now, to my ears, many 1176 and related make the sound add a bit of brightness and usually lop a bit of sub bass off. I find the WA to be one of the smoother on the top end *in general*, and also not lop as much sub frequency as some. It does add some presence.
Old 5th August 2018
I've had both Warm and Klark. The Klark is made better and sounds much better. Who cares if Behringer now owns Klark Teknik. I bought all the Warm stuff up to the 47jr and ended up returning or selling all of it. Every single item from Warm had one issue or another.
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
I've had both Warm and Klark. The Klark is made better and sounds much better. Who cares if Behringer now owns Klark Teknik. I bought all the Warm stuff up to the 47jr and ended up returning or selling all of it. Every single item from Warm had one issue or another.
I keep hearing stuff like that all over GS. But I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with all of their gear. Maybe I'm just really lucky, or you're just really unlucky. LOL.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Who cares if Behringer now owns Klark Teknik.
We don’t know who knows or who cares, which is why I put the information out there. It might influence people based on previous experiences with Behringer, good or bad.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aren’t they made in the same factory to spec and rebranded, like about half of the stuff out there, from “low end” to “boutique” companies.

The main difference appears to be that Warm spends the money on the Jensen transformers. The Klark just leaves the Chinese ones in there.

If you pop either open, you’re not going to think the Warm looks like it’s made more cheaply that’s for sure.

However, with the assembly of the EQs, the Klark is much shoddier. Look at how the differences in layout...

As far as mics go, that’s a whole other ballpark than rack gear IMO. I’m not a big fan of any of the low end import stuff in that department.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Aren’t they made in the same factory to spec and rebranded, like about half of the stuff out there, from “low end” to “boutique” companies.

The main difference appears to be that Warm spends the money on the Jensen transformers. The Klark just leaves the Chinese ones in there.

If you pop either open, you’re not going to think the Warm looks like it’s made more cheaply that’s for sure.

However, with the assembly of the EQs, the Klark is much shoddier. Look at how the differences in layout...

As far as mics go, that’s a whole other ballpark than rack gear IMO. I’m not a big fan of any of the low end import stuff in that department.
Cinemag, just FYI.

And yes, you’re right. They’re not on intrinsically different quality levels. I suspect the reason the Warms have the extra sonic weight and slightly less poky high mids is those Cinemag transformers.

Mr. Coates really dislikes Warm and says so in every thread. Perfectly valid to dislike their gear of course but the sweeping “KT is much higher quality and sounds much better” type line is non-credible.
If either unit has the edge in sort of ‘on paper’ component quality, it’s the Warm.

In practice, they sound very similar, but for the differences we’ve outlined here already.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
“The awards” is spellcheck screwing with you. You meant “the Warm “?
Heh. Yep. I had just fixed it when I saw this.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

I’m not even sure about how relevant comparing the two units is. Should the question be which sounds closer to an actual 1176? Because comparing either to one another without the control standard of an actual 1176 is made pointless because of subjectivity. Folks loved the Warm when it came out. Now there’s reviews saying the KT sounds pretty much like a UA 1176. All valid. KT is around $400. Warm is $600. Not really that much of a difference. If the 200 does make a difference, get the KT. Otherwise save for a real 1176. You can pick one up for 1000-1500 2nd hand usually. Or buy new on payment.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Ragan, thanks for correcting me re: Jensen vs Cinemag. Brain fart.

I hear the Warm as having more extension in the lows and less harmonic distortion.

And as I said previous, it’s a little quieter when goosing input or output stages. I can audibly hear the gain stages being noisier between the two I compared. That said, I could find a use for it if I had one around. I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker for electric guitar, for instance. (Repeating myself here somewhat...sorry.)
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Ragan, thanks for correcting me re: Jensen vs Cinemag. Brain fart.

I hear the Warm as having more extension in the lows and less harmonic distortion.

And as I said previous, it’s a little quieter when goosing input or output stages. I can audibly hear the gain stages being noisier between the two I compared. That said, I could find a use for it if I had one around. I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker for electric guitar, for instance. (Repeating myself here somewhat...sorry.)
Yeah for sure. I had no real qualms about the KT-76, it just didn’t quite sound as nice (to my ear) as the WA76. I could use either, but prefer the Warms. And yeah, that bite and leaner low end could be nice on snare or electric guitar or whatever.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Head

great info guys

if there was a 150-200$ price difference between them (only 30$ diff in my country) it could make sense buying the klark 76 for drums at a later time as i think a bit brighter could have its place on certain sources
but im definitely going for wa-76 after reading its not the bright sounding one

it would be super cool if some had access to both wa-76 and klark-76 and was able to A/B test on a couple of tracks and let us hear them in action

i think vocals, acoustic guitars and drums are very good to test on
as compression are very revealing on these type of sources

Cheers
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
great info guys

if there was a 150-200$ price difference between them (only 30$ diff in my country) it could make sense buying the klark 76 for drums at a later time as i think a bit brighter could have its place on certain sources
but im definitely going for wa-76 after reading its not the bright sounding one

it would be super cool if some had access to both wa-76 and klark-76 and was able to A/B test on a couple of tracks and let us hear them in action

i think vocals, acoustic guitars and drums are very good to test on
as compression are very revealing on these type of sources

Cheers
I would also consider Stam.
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I would also consider Stam.
Absolutely. Good quality stuff. And if you don't mind waiting 6 to 18 months with hardly any communication of what's going on, it's a bargain.

Sadly, I mean that purely descriptively and not in any way hyperbolic or sarcastically.

Nonetheless, I'm waiting on a couple pieces from him now. So I guess I've decided it's worth it?
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Absolutely. Good quality stuff. And if you don't mind waiting 6 to 18 months with hardly any communication of what's going on, it's a bargain.

Sadly, I mean that purely descriptively and not in any way hyperbolic or sarcastically.

Nonetheless, I'm waiting on a couple pieces from him now. So I guess I've decided it's worth it?
Ditto. I'm a serious prospective buyer of (almost literally) every unit they have to offer, and I'm waiting on a unit right now. But unfortunately I can't really recommend it to others as easily anymore, because of the pre-order model, and the complicated and time-consuming process to actually receive a unit.

It's really unfortunate. While I've had very, very positive experiences with them so far, it just makes it difficult to recommend. Which is weird because their entire business model seems built on forum word-of-mouth recommendations. I thought these issues would be worked out by now, years later, but honestly it's worse than ever.

Having said that, the new releases are more exciting than ever, also (the tube mics, the Stamchild...). The Stam Audio 1176 ADG is a switchable Rev A, D, or G circuit all in one unit, with a component and build quality that should be better than the Warm or Klark "on paper" but it's not out yet, so who knows.

I pre-ordered at the $499 price, and for the component quality (and three switchable modes), I felt that was a ludicrously good price and worth the additional risk appetite to take a shot on it. Admittedly... my risk appetite for gear is huge, I'm the guy who bought a suspiciously-cheap Sennheiser 441 on ebay shipped to the US from an Eastern European pawn shop who said they had no way of testing it... works perfectly! One of my fav mics
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Addict
I have a pair of EQP-KTs which works pretty well, but as 1176s I went to the UA. I'd love to try the GAP-3A and the KT-2A. If I have to choose between Stam and Warm for a LA2A clone, Stam wins hands down... Not a big fan of Warm here
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrik83 View Post
GAP-3A
So many to choose from.
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Ditto. I'm a serious prospective buyer of (almost literally) every unit they have to offer, and I'm waiting on a unit right now. But unfortunately I can't really recommend it to others as easily anymore, because of the pre-order model, and the complicated and time-consuming process to actually receive a unit.

It's really unfortunate. While I've had very, very positive experiences with them so far, it just makes it difficult to recommend. Which is weird because their entire business model seems built on forum word-of-mouth recommendations. I thought these issues would be worked out by now, years later, but honestly it's worse than ever.

Having said that, the new releases are more exciting than ever, also (the tube mics, the Stamchild...). The Stam Audio 1176 ADG is a switchable Rev A, D, or G circuit all in one unit, with a component and build quality that should be better than the Warm or Klark "on paper" but it's not out yet, so who knows.

I pre-ordered at the $499 price, and for the component quality (and three switchable modes), I felt that was a ludicrously good price and worth the additional risk appetite to take a shot on it. Admittedly... my risk appetite for gear is huge, I'm the guy who bought a suspiciously-cheap Sennheiser 441 on ebay shipped to the US from an Eastern European pawn shop who said they had no way of testing it... works perfectly! One of my fav mics
Heheh. I love 441s, that's a great buy.

One of the Stam pieces I'm waiting on is the ADG too. Hit the preorder button about 10 minutes after he announced it. I seem to have a never-ending appetite for 1176s.
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenolan View Post
I keep hearing stuff like that all over GS. But I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with all of their gear. Maybe I'm just really lucky, or you're just really unlucky. LOL.
I have a WA-76 and a pair of the WA-EQP eqs. I like all of it. I had the 4 API clone but didn't dig it - but I do have a pair of real 312s that I had it near.

I would like a 2A style comp. Maybe I'll get the WA or KT of it.
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I would like a 2A style comp. Maybe I'll get the WA or KT of it.
On YouTube you can find a video where the WA is compared to an original LA2A and a STAM 2A. The clear winner is the original, but the Stam is not bad at all, while the WA follows the two. Of course we are talking about high standards, and I'd be curious to hear the KT, but the attitude is very precise and recognizable.
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrik83 View Post
On YouTube you can find a video where the WA is compared to an original LA2A and a STAM 2A. The clear winner is the original, but the Stam is not bad at all, while the WA follows the two. Of course we are talking about high standards, and I'd be curious to hear the KT, but the attitude is very precise and recognizable.
I have an original LA-2A and a STAM LA-2A, I can't really tell the difference.. The Warm and the GAP stuff is brighter, it doesn't round off or fatten like the LA-2A / STAM's do.. Good comp's, just not an LA-2A..

If you're looking for a low cost option I don't think the UA plugins can be beaten personally..!?

Would be interested to hear the KT-2A, I mean if I can sell my LA-2A and profit I'd do it in a hearbeat. I'll probably end up with another STAM or get an Audioscape.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search